Contribute
Register

Template for early G4 (poss G3) motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
p3220494.jpg

The above image shows the perspex version of the rear I/O plate. This is probably the simplest solution to getting the I/O right as the natural original metal frame of the G4 gives the right spacing to just put a flat perspex piece here. The PCI cards are screwed (at the top) into the original metal piece which has been sawn off and just used for the screw mounting.

p3220496.jpg

p3220490.jpg

and these show the new outside surround I have made. They also show a complete new rear I made for the Sawtooth - though the surround does still fit perfectly with the standard Mac moulding - as one aim of mine is to get each of the G4 panels digitised in terms of where all the holes are and the openings so that specially tailored panels can be easily made to demand (for instance to cater for different fans, power supplies etc) without too much effort.

Obviously while the inner plate has been shown in clear 3mm perspex and the outer in blue translucent material any perspex colour could be used

And here are a couple of pic.s of the motherboard template and how it can be used:

p3110462.jpg

The above is the template of the first post made into perspex and being used as a drilling guide. The holes in it skirt around the original Mac standoffs/rivets etc and also allow access to some of the pre-made original holes - that means it can either be used as here to just guide mounting of new standoffs or used "as is" to be a ready made mbo tray that is just screwed on. In this case though I figured that most people would want to see it being used for regular standoff modding. Of ocurse,you can also use it to drill holes in the plastic latch mechanism too.

And below is another pic of a slight variation in which it is to be used as the mobo tray and it features a CPU cut out so that any CPU backplates could be used.

p3080451.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back