CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My build has been absolutely stable since Dec. Yesterday, on shutdown, I got the screen telling me to push and hold the power button because the system failed. The system starts up, everything works fine for about 2 minutes then it fails. It works in safe boot. I guess something is loading that is causing the crash but how do I find out? I disabled all the log-in start-ups to no avail. I have made no changes nor have I added any programs.

It does not crash if I don't long in but will crash after about two minutes even if you don't start programs or touch the mouse.

Please please help.

Bob

My windows 7 partition works.

lightmanrt said:
My build has been absolutely stable since Dec. Yesterday, on shutdown, I got the screen telling me to push and hold the power button because the system failed. The system starts up, everything works fine for about 2 minutes then it fails. It works in safe boot. I guess something is loading that is causing the crash but how do I find out? I disabled all the log-in start-ups to no avail. I have made no changes nor have I added any programs.

It does not crash if I don't long in but will crash after about two minutes even if you don't start programs or touch the mouse.

Please please help.

Bob
If it works in safe mode, boot it up, delete your /Extra file, download a new DSDT and the latest MultiBeast, select UserDSDT and the other kexts for your board and install it.
Reboot. That should take care of any bad/corrupted kext files that are not native.
If this doesn't work, try downloading and re-installing the 10.6.7 combo update.
If that doesn't work, back up your home and user files and reinstall from scratch. Then restore your files from backup.

Thanks for you help. I found the problem by accident. I keep a virgin copy of OS 10.6.7 on a notebook hard drive. It worked fine. I decided to add my raid 10 back system so I could do a restore. When I added the Raid driver, the virgin system crashed. Rebooted and the same as my main drive. I disconnected the four drives to the controller and rebooted, it worked fine. Added the drives back in and it crashed. Ran in safe mode and looked at the drives. Ran verify on the three partitions and got the message for one partition that it "could not be fixed, back it up and re-partition". I was able to access my video files so I copied them to another drive. Deleted the partition, made a new one, rebooted and everything is back to normal.

I don't understand how a corrupt partition and a different drive which is not the boot drive and which was not being used or accessed could crash the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back