Contribute
Register

successful Gigabyte P55M-UD2 / F11 Mavericks install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone can help. I have the same setup as described above.

After the install of Mavericks - I try to go in to finish the installation. Boot to usb. type in commands as you have above. I get an error and cannot get in to complete Mavericks install.

4] when you are ready for "first boot" of mavericks, use these flags:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1, IGPEnabler=No, Graphics Mode=1680x1050x32, -x, -v
you may end up typing in the blind, as the box for flags is not long enough, just type slowly. replace the Mode numbers with the default/native rez of your monitor

It says (I cannot get in so I dont know how to do anything with whats on the screen)
loading darwin 10.9
loading kernel cache /system/library/cachescom.apple.kext.caches/startup/kernelcache
read HFS+ file:[hd(1,2)/System/library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.
Can't find
Press a key to continue...

Any help would be amazing!

Hey, wanted to give a thanks to obscurity for this walk through. I have a very similar system but with i5 and nvidia 9400 card. Worked for me with some slight changes.

1) Unibeast with DSDT (F11) in /extra folder of installer. I didn't select legecy USB
2) Only flag I needed was "graphicsenabler=yes" for initial boot into Mavericks installer
3) On the "first boot" of Maverick I started from the USB then used the Graphicsenabler=yes, PCIRootUID=1, and IGPEnabler=No before booting the new Mavericks installation. It was pretty late at night doing this but pretty sure I didn't have to use the other flags.
4) Once in Mavericks, I then followed obscurity's multibeast list completely. Some of the options seemed not to be necessary but it was about 2 AM by then so I didn't feel much like experimenting.

Had a little trouble with my LAN but discovered that my DNS server somehow got changed or had a manually added address. I deleted that and all was good!

Sound and LAN working great. Sleep seems to be alright, i think. Migrated all my stuff from 10.7.5 (I had wiped the hard drive, yet again, to get a completely clean install) and woolah!! Mavericks on an LGA 1156 gigabyte with sound, graphics and LAN.

So my thoughts. Take some time. You may not need all the flags. There are not too many to try a few combinations.

TimeMachine has been awesome for me. I know I need to clone my drive too but just haven't gotten around to it. Until then TimeMachine continues to save my bacon time and time again.

There is a reason Gigabyte LGA 1156 boards and specifically the P55 variety are still rather expensive on Ebay...(I looked) They just work. And the i5 and i7 chips that go to them are still really more than most of us really need. Mine is overclocked to 3.6 Mhz with water cooling. VERY stable, but really doesn't make a whole bunch of sense given the machine is used primarily for web and word processing. I do have iMovie, iPhoto, the old iDVD and Handbrake. Those are the only things that get anywhere close to taxing it's ability.

Other thoughs... HTPC is my next plan but this HDMI audio work-around looks very daunting. After this 2 AM foray, I think I'll have to call it quits for a bit :)

Hello this is my first time writing in this forum and I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASEEEE. I have a gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 (f9) and an intel i5 CPU with a PNY GE FORCE GTS 250 video card, 2 gb of ram. Thesystem was working before with snow leopard but the HDD fail later. I buy a new disk I made the fixes on the BIOS, prepare de USB drive with unibeast and maverick. I boot from the USB and chimera menu goes up but when it start running the monitor goes off and nothing happens. I tried everything in the flags that you have been posted. The far as I can go is a grey screen with the mouse and couple seconds later the cursor freeze and nothing else happens. Please help me out!!!
thanks

I am getting random hard freeze of the system. I can't remember it happening in 10.6.8 (though I did get a rare kernel panic).

Today a tried a clean install of Mavericks w/o using Migration Assistant at all - and boom another freeze.

It seems to happen when the computer is busy. First couple happened using Adobe Flash. Last have happened while transcoding video (Handbrake or Toast) and doing regular stuff. I don't even think I have Flash installed yet.

Hmmm.

I figured out my crashing problem - RAM setting in the BIOS.

I did a clean install of 10.9 and no joy - still crashed and now I could repeat it by transcoding a big file in Toast 9.

I tried 10.8.5 and no joy.

So I went back to the beloved 10.6.8 and still no joy. At least 10.6.8 gave a Kernel panic screen and saved a crash report once (Spotlight was the official cause).

I tried to overclock a bit when 10.9 came out and didn't get a stable speed, so I set it all back to stock.

Hmmm. I finally remembered I did keep one change. The P55M-UD2 doesn't support DDR 1600 RAM out of the box, the fastest I get is 1333. There is a setting in the memory screen of the BIOS to activate Profile1, which allows 1600 RAM speed (I have 4 sticks of DDR-1600 RAM).

So I went in there and changed the profile to Default and the machine is back to 1333 on the RAM speed.

And it seems to be totally stable. I ran a couple of files with Toast while doing a bunch of other things at the same time and no problems at all.

I used these steps to do a clean install of 10.9.1 and it is working pretty well so far. I am having issues getting Quartz stuff working though. Any ideas?

Hi guys,
Here is my first post in this community :)
I managed to install Mavericks on the following config :
- p55m-UD2 F11 mobo;
- Intel i5 CPU (the 2.67 ghz model);
- Gigabyte GT220 graphic card;
- 8GB Kingston Ram.

The only bootflag needed was "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" during install, and first boot.
Afterwards, i've installed the DSDT file via Multibeast, and everything seems to be in order, EXCEPT a strange noise that happens whenever there is network activity - even the tinyest byte sent/received causes some strange noise, like the ones HDD activity used to make back in the day when we needed to keep the computer in another room because of the HDD :). I've listened to the opened case, and the noise does not come from the HDDs, but from somewhere around the CPU area...anyone has any idea what this might be from ?
One thing to mention : i'm dual-booting this system, and in Windows i use a Creative X-Fi sound card, which i didn't remove when installing Mavericks - can an unidentified sound card cause such an issue? or has anyone else stumbled upon such an issue ?
Thanks a lot for all your hard work and help, btw.

Update : i redid the installation, this time checking Legacy USB in the Unibeast creation process.
After making the Unibeast disk, i added the DSDT file to the Extra folder on the disk.
Boot flags : none, except -v (which i used just to fulfill my paranoid wish of seeing everything).
It all works fine, and the network transfer buzz has gone (not entirely, but diminished to some levels that can be heard only with the case open).

Update 12 Jan:

I was able to re-flash the bios to F11 (it was an issue with my USB drive). I have the F11 DSDT file, but not sure what to do with it.

Now, my system hangs during the boot before I can get to Multibeast.

Boot flags: GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1 hangs at "System uptime in nanoseconds xxxxx..."
Boot flags: GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=0 hangs at "USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 00187D0F...."

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back