Contribute
Register

[Success Z97X-UD3H, i5 4590, 8gb RAM, GT 730] VGA Output working as well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
Gigabyte N730-2GI
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi all, this is just a guide to what I like to call a “GigaMac” as almost all of the hardware in this build that goes towards OS X compatibility is made by Gigabyte.
Hardware:
PSU: Corsair RM750 Modular PSU
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H (Running BIOS version F4)
Processor: Intel Core i5 4590
RAM: 2 x 4gB DDR3 Tramscend Jetram 1600mhz
Storage: 1tB Western Digital WD10EZEX ( 3,5”; 7200rpm; 64mb cache; SATA 6,0gbps)
1tB Seagate Barracuda of the same specs as the Western Digital drive
Graphics Card: Gigabyte N730-2GI (GT 730)
DVD RW Drive (Something by LG, will check later)
TP-Link WiFi card as suggested in the Buyers Guide http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GMPZ0A/
Chassis: Gigabyte GZ-X1
Monitor: LG 20M35
Step 1: Created a UniBeast Installer as per the instructions of TonyMacx86 at http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Step 2: Built PC (Minus the Seagate drive)
Step 3: Having not followed the instructions clearly on the guide I was following, I installed Windows 8.1 via a UEFI install to the Western Digital drive which delayed the dual booting process for obvious reasons (I didn’t want to lose my Windows data and couldn’t backup), so I saved up and got a second hard drive, the Seagate.
Step 4: Disconnected Western Digital Drive(Running Windows 8.1), and left the Seagate drive connected to the second SATA port. Entered BIOS (Pressing Delete) and then F2 to get to my preferred UI. And changed settings to the following:
Left the M.I.T. and System Information tabs alone.
BIOS Features
Boot Option= #1 set to the DVD RW drive, #2 set to the Seagate Drive.
Boot NumLock State= Enabled
Security Options= System
Full Screen Logo Show= Enabled
Fast Boot= Disabled
Limit CPUID Maximum= Diabled
Execute Disable Bit= Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology= Disabled
VT-d= Disabled
Windows 8 Features= Other OS
Boot Mode Selection= Legacy First
Peripherals
Initial Display Output= PCIe 1 Slot
PCH LAN Controller= Enabled
XHCI Mode= Auto
Audio Controller= Enabled
Intel Processor Graphics= Enabled
Intel(R) Rapid Start Technology= Disabled
Legacy USB Support= Enabled
XHCI Hand-Off= Enabled
EHCI Hand-Off= Enabled
I left the USB options and went to SATA Configuration next, which for me was AHCI by default, so no changes needed there.
No further BIOS settings needed to be changed, so I went to Save and Exit and then reset.
Step 5: Removed one stick of RAM (UniBeast flag maxmem=4096 resulted in deadbeef panic and leaving 8gb in also panicked) and booted into Unibeast which for some reason needed the boot flags –x nv_disabler=1 on initial boot. However the interface was laggy in the OS X installer so I restarted, and then managed to boot with –x GraphicsEnabler=Yes flags. (VGA output works!)
Step 6: Opened Disk Utility under the Utilities tab at the top of the screen, and formatted my Seagate drive as a GUID partition table, and 1 partition with Mac OS (Extended Journalled), before closing Disk Utility and going back to the Installer screen. I clicked continue and accept and then set the newly formatted drive as an Install volume. Once Install was complete, the PC reset.
Step 7: At the UniBeast screen, the installed OS X could only be reached with –x GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I setup my account and was greeted by the much welcome Yosemite desktop which took a while to load fully. I copied MultiBeast into the Applications folder as the system tends to freeze every so often in safe mode.
Step 8: Opened MultiBeast, and skipped the Quick Start selection, going straight to Drivers. I selected the Realtek ALC1150 driver from Audio, and 3rd Party SATA from Disk. I skipped Graphics and went straight to Misc where I selected FakeSMC v6.11.1328 and NullCPUPowerManagement. Then selected the Bootloaders tab and selected Chimera v4.01. In Customize I chose Basic Boot Options, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Hibernate Mode-Desktop, and UseKernelCache. Jumped to themes and selected TonyMacx86 Black. Then went to Build and waited for the KEXTs to install. Once installed I restarted and found that Chimera had the boot0 error on this Hard Drive, so I rebooted into the OS X installer, opened terminal and followed the Official Boot0 guide on this site(http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/65706-article-boot0-error-official-guide.html). Rebooting after applying the fix, I shut down and reinstalled the 4gb RAM stick that I had removed,and booted into the anticipated OS X Yosemite desktop without needing any more boot flags. OpenCL is working, VGA output too and audio through the front headphone port with sound assertions through the rear green audio port. So OS X was installed and bootable without the UniBeast drive.
Step 9: Shut down the PC, disconnect the OS X hard drive and reconnect the Windows hard drive to the main board, and boot up to ensure that it’s still fine, and to get it the priority boot (I found that rearranging the boot order in BIOS took more energy to do), then shutting down and reconnecting the OS X drive to the main board, starting up again to test boot. The result is a PC that boots into Windows without a sign of Chimera unless you press F12 and select the first partition of the Seagate drive. OS X can read into the connected Windows drive without damaging anything and Windows ignores the OS X drive.

When you wrote "VGA Output is working" is it because you're using a discrete video board. Did you tried HDMI and DVI ports also ? I try to enable HDMI, DVI and VGA ports but no luck, anyway, I think OSX doesn't enable VGA when HDMI or DVI are working.

I wish I could use 3 monitors connected to those 3 outputs without using a discrete video card...

When you wrote "VGA Output is working" is it because you're using a discrete video board. Did you tried HDMI and DVI ports also ? I try to enable HDMI, DVI and VGA ports but no luck, anyway, I think OSX doesn't enable VGA when HDMI or DVI are working.

I wish I could use 3 monitors connected to those 3 outputs without using a discrete video card...

VGA Output was working because the OP booted in Safe Mode - The quality would have been poor though.

Hi, I know for a fact that HDMI works on the card as well, having tested it on an HD tv. The VGA output works in normal boot however you need to boot with safe mode until multibeast stage has been done. I do not boot in safe mode now and still have VGA output with everything working fine. The safe mode VGA out is bad like was said, however the output through VGA is perfect in normal boot. I may just be lucky though.

Hi, I know for a fact that HDMI works on the card as well, having tested it on an HD tv. The VGA output works in normal boot however you need to boot with safe mode until multibeast stage has been done. I do not boot in safe mode now and still have VGA output with everything working fine. The safe mode VGA out is bad like was said, however the output through VGA is perfect in normal boot. I may just be lucky though.

You are indeed lucky - Glad to hear it's working ok for you :thumbup:

The VGA output works in regular boot with everything running fine. No problems with quality at all. I only booted into safe mode until multibeast step had been done. From there I boot normally as the graphicsenabler=yes boot flag is kept in the boot plist file.

Thanks. Took a lot of trial and error:) Sorry for duplicate reply. Haven't logged on in a while. I will test the DVI out if I get the chance and post the findings on this thread as well. But very very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back