Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS, Writing in Progress] Acer 5749 Hardware Guide + Mavericks 100%!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
Intel Xeon E3 1230v2
Graphics
Geforce GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Acer 5749 Mavericks Guide
& Hardware Guide

This thread is about the Acer 5749 Second Generation Notebook and installing Mavericks as well as replacing hardware.

Hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i3 2350M (Dual Core, 2.3 GHz, with Hyperthreading and SpeedStep, no Turbo Boost)
RAM: 2x2GB DDR3 1066 MHz SO-DIMM
Chipset: Intel HM65
SATA Ports: 2x Sata III (6Gbps) Ports, one for HDD and one for DVD
HDD: 320GB WD Blue 2.5” 9mm 5400RPM
USB Hubs:
1- Front Camera USB Hub
2- 2x USB Ports on right side, 1x on left side.
All USB Devices have 480Mbps Speed and get 5v500mAh of power, 2.5 Effective Watts.
LAN: Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet 100Mbps
WLAN: Atheros AR9485
Audio: Intel HD Audio
Graphics: Intel HD 3000 (Dependant on CPU)
Display: 1366x768 15” LCD Display (VA I think)
HDMI Port
VGA Port
Battery: AS10D31 10.8V 4400mAh 47.5 Wh Battery, about 3 Hours of usage.
Power Adapter: 19V 3.4 mAh Effective 65W, Charges Fully in 40-50 Minutes.

NOTE: This laptop has a bluetooth module but I broke mine, I think it used to work in mac(?) It's atheros anyways.

Working Under Mavericks:
CPU: With Speedstep, using patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and Proper SSDT (I think it doesn’t require SSDT, though, doesn’t hurt to use one.), Sleep Works Perfectly.
LAN: Working with ALXEthernet driver.
Audio: Working with VoodooHDA.kext v2.8.4
Graphics: Working with Native Mavericks Kexts, need workaround first.
Display: Full Resolution with brightness working.
HDMI Port: Works natively
Battery: Shows percentage and apps using significant power
Camera: Works OOTB Because USB ;)

Not Working Under Mavericks:
WLAN: Atheros AR9485 Not supported in OSX, no drivers for it, alternatives available.
VGA Port: Real Macs don’t have VGA Ports anyways..
Hibernate: This is a common issue with Hackintosh in general, Hibernation was broken since Lion.

Parts that can be replaced:
1- CPU: Uses PGA998b socket, NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH PGA998a, PGA998a is an older socket.)
Can replace CPU with wide range of CPUs from Intel, I have tested replacing my i3 2350M with an i7 2670QM, worked perfectly,
but not sure if Ivy Bridge works.

2- RAM: Supports 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz, the BIOS down clocks it down to 1066 but Mac OSX overclocks it to 1333 Automatically.
3- DVD Burner can be replaced with another one or a second HDD/SSD using an HDD Caddy, works perfectly.
4- HDD can obviously be replaced no problem.
5- WLAN Can be replaced, AR9285 is said to work in OSX, I replaced mine to an old one from a 2006 Macbook, it stopped working under Mountain Lion though.
6- Battery: There are higher capacity ones made by AGPTek, they’re awesome, 10.8V and 6600mAh 71.2Wh which extends the battery life to 5-7 Hours per charge, highly recommended, Especially when you upgrade the CPU to a Quad-Core like I did ;)
7- Display: I’m not sure about this but it could be replaceable.

Guide to be written when I’m finished with my Exams, Later!

Acer 5749 Mavericks Guide
SATA Ports: 2x Sata III (6Gbps) Ports, one for HDD and one for DVD
Nice work. We have similar laptops, anyway to tell if mine is Sata III (6Gbps)? I know the first port for the HDD is Sata III but not sure about the second one (Optical Drive).

Nice work. We have similar laptops, anyway to tell if mine is Sata III (6Gbps)? I know the first port for the HDD is Sata III but not sure about the second one (Optical Drive).

You might be able to see in 'System Information'. Available from "About this Mac". Look in the SATA section.

It's actually SATA III
I tried using and SSD in there and it had 500 MB/s Reads

I have a question for you - how did you got hd 3000 video working? I have same laptop as you, the problem is - when I start with orginal kexts: screen goes on and then it is black again. Did you patched kexts or dsdt? I am newbie to this hackintosh thing, but when I first time installed MAC Lion, I felt in love with it... :lol:

I have a question for you - how did you got hd 3000 video working? I have same laptop as you, the problem is - when I start with orginal kexts: screen goes on and then it is black again. Did you patched kexts or dsdt? I am newbie to this hackintosh thing, but when I first time installed MAC Lion, I felt in love with it... :lol:

Please provide complete details in your profile.

System: manufacturer/model
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx). For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Sorry, my mistake... :banghead:

I have not same laptop as you, but I have ACER ASPIRE 5749 without Z.... All specs are same, except I have 500Gb hd, 2x4GB Kingston ram and Realtek 8192CE WiFi....

Acer Aspire 5749
System
Intel HM65
CPU
Intel Core i3 2350M
Graphics
Intel HD 3000

Sorry, my mistake... :banghead:

I have not same laptop as you, but I have ACER ASPIRE 5749 without Z.... All specs are same, except I have 500Gb hd, 2x4GB Kingston ram and Realtek 8192CE WiFi....

Don't forget to fill out your profile as requested in post #6.

Don't forget to fill out your profile as requested in post #6.

Ok, profile updated. :thumbup:

Back to problem:

I am trying to install vanilla Mac OS X 10.9 on my Acer.
Bootloader: Clover
The problem is - I can't get to installer (screen shows gray apple logo and then it goes blank, can't do anything) so I removed all graphics kexts... After installation I can't get graphics card working. The question is - what I need to do to enable graphics? I don't have custom dsdt.aml file too... What I need to do: patch dsdt.aml or mod something in vanilla graphics kexts? Or maybe both? How to do that? :eek:

Ok, profile updated. :thumbup:

Back to problem:

I am trying to install vanilla Mac OS X 10.9 on my Acer.
Bootloader: Clover
The problem is - I can't get to installer (screen shows gray apple logo and then it goes blank, can't do anything) so I removed all graphics kexts... After installation I can't get graphics card working. The question is - what I need to do to enable graphics? I don't have custom dsdt.aml file too... What I need to do: patch dsdt.aml or mod something in vanilla graphics kexts? Or maybe both? How to do that? :eek:

You should not have removed all graphics kexts. You need them for HD3000 to work. Instead you should have set Clover config.plist correctly for your Intel/HD3000/low-res screen properly.

See this guide for clues as to how config.plist should be set: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back