Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Old School - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P / Q9650 / 8GB DDR2 / GTX280

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the same problem, mobo is GA-EP45-DS3. No apparent errors, login screen just won't come up. SL and ML always worked for me. I guess MultiBeast (6.0.0) installed a bad kext.

Were you able to log on using the Unibeast USB drive to boot? I didn't even get to boot after installing Mavericks, so whatever happened with me is going on independent of Multibeast.

I ran the bios settings exactly like I get the installer to run , all the way to the welcome ( ready to install screen) None of my volumes show up.

1) Set the bios to( http://lifehacker.com/5351553/hackintosh-bios-gallery/ )
ACHI 64bit HEPT and all the other goodies. Also boot with USB at startup

2) Boot Flags used Darkwake=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000

3) The system slows down waiting for bluetooth, skips over and moves to a few sound assertions. After 3 minutes the system sluggishly loads to the installer.

4) Im greeted with the installer, i click on disk utilities but no volumes show up to be formatted except for USB devices ( Unibeast )

Were you able to log on using the Unibeast USB drive to boot? I didn't even get to boot after installing Mavericks, so whatever happened with me is going on independent of Multibeast.

Yes, I got into the desktop - don't remember if I used any boot options - but had lot of visual glitches. Went on to install MultiBeast as usual, after that no login screen at all. With some boot settings I think it boots normally but there's no signal from GPU - screen turns off. With other settings it just hangs.

Hi,

I'd just like to say that I've been able to get to the bottom of this and made clean reinstall successfully, everything seems to work. No MultiBeast yet though. So far, I've concluded that:

1) I need the following boot options: GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 "Graphics Mode"="1280x720x32" (before AND after install)

2) Graphics Mode has to be one defined in the list from chameleon (to view, press SPACE on partition, video info)

3) if I leave the Graphics Mode out and add -x (=safe-mode), boot will be successful but graphics will glitch horribly

I had to use the extra BIOS settings specified in the lifehacker post. I did not need to set the USB drive to boot first so long as I was quick on the trigger to choose the USB to get to the install screen.

My only issue was after reboot. After finally getting Multibeast to apply the proper kext, I found that on reboot the system was hanging on loading FakeSMC. When I set UseKernelCache=No in my chameleon.plist, I was able to reboot into Mavericks. I am running Multibeast again to make sure I didn't miss anything and will try enabled UseKernelCache via command-line options. If it fails, I am going to leave it disabled.

Hi,

I'd just like to say that I've been able to get to the bottom of this and made clean reinstall successfully, everything seems to work. No MultiBeast yet though. So far, I've concluded that:

1) I need the following boot options: GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 "Graphics Mode"="1280x720x32" (before AND after install)

Using your boot options, Mavericks loads. Or at least it did once. I can't seem to get it to load again using the same flags.

2) Graphics Mode has to be one defined in the list from chameleon (to view, press SPACE on partition, video info)

3) if I leave the Graphics Mode out and add -x (=safe-mode), boot will be successful but graphics will glitch horribly

Not following you about how to define Graphics Mode in Chameleon, can you be more specific?

Took a new approach to this.

Installed Mavericks on a new HD, booted via Unibeast USB to Mavericks using the following boot flags:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 "Graphics Mode"="1280x720x32"

Ran the newest Multibeast using a DSDT.aml I've used since the Sno Leo days.

Installed

Drivers>Disk>3rd Party SATA
Drivers>Disk>FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers>System>AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders Chimera v.2.2.1
Customize>Boot Options>Basic Boot Options
Customize>Boot Options>Generate CPU States
Customize>Boot Options>GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize>Boot Options>Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize>Boot Options>PCI Root ID Fix
Customize>System Definitions>Mac Pro>Mac Pro 3,1
Customize>Themes>tonymacx86 black

Shutdown, reboot from Mavericks, and the monitor died just as it did before just before the login screen. Okay, restart, add "GraphicsMode"="1280x720x32" at the boot screen. Same result. Tried adding additional arguments for GraphicsEnabler and PCIRootUID, etc. Nothing.

Tried booting with Unibeast, and this time couldn't even get that to work.

Rebooted into Mountain Lion, connected the Mavericks HD. Copied /Extras folder from ML to Mavericks. Rebooted into Mavericks like a charm but no ethernet, sound or bluetooth.

(Whatever changes were made to Chimera bootloader between ML and Mavericks, that seems to be the source of boot issues. Later, I will look at the original vs. current Mavericks boot.plist and see exactly what the deltas might be.)

Using Multibeast 5.8 (which I had in my ML install), reinstalled Lnx2Mac's ethernet controller; rebooted and now networking works great. iCloud, iMessages and App Store are all a-ok.

No sound or bluetooth yet in Mavericks, but those should be fairly simple to fix with ktexts. It did hang/crash on shutdown from Mavericks as well. So, I'm getting there.

TL;DR: If you are able to install Mavericks on a HD from Unibeast but can't boot, try copying your /Extras folder from ML to Mavericks.

Sorry, you get the menu in Chameleon by pressing the down-arrow button, not SPACE like I said. First, select your partition with left/right-arrows, then press the down-arrow -- you get a menu. Select "Video Info" (navigate with arrow buttons and press enter). You get a list of video modes, you should use one of those as the "Graphics Mode" param, the 1280x720x32 was just an example I gave.

Try both PCIRootUID=0 or PCIRootUID=1 (together with Graphics Mode) -- I'm not exactly sure what it does. 1 works for me, 0 does not.

However, judging by your latter post, your problems might be more complex than mine.

I was able to figure things out, got a mostly working system now. I need the NullCPUPowerManagement kext (in MB: Drivers - Misc), otherwise I get a kernel panic. It used to be part of the MultiBeast preset (pretty sure?), I wonder why not anymore. I'm also using a DSDT, but it doesn't seem to matter at all if I use it or not.

I noticed that we have the same graphics card, here's my full org.chameleon.Boot.plist in case you wanna take a look:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1280x720x32"</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

PS: When you install kexts, better boot with -f afterwards, I think it flushes the kext cache (or whatever). It takes longer to boot, but are less likely to run into problems. You can also use Kext Wizard for rebuilding the kext cache. In general, it's safer to boot with -f.

Sorry, you get the menu in Chameleon by pressing the down-arrow button, not SPACE like I said. First, select your partition with left/right-arrows, then press the down-arrow -- you get a menu. Select "Video Info" (navigate with arrow buttons and press enter). You get a list of video modes, you should use one of those as the "Graphics Mode" param, the 1280x720x32 was just an example I gave.

Ok thanks.

I think you are right, slightly different issues between us. Our plists are similar, but for some reason, PCIRootUID=1 was preventing me from booting:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I have a good boot with this, a DSDT.aml I've used for years. Ethernet, iCloud, app store, iMessage, and sleep are all working. I have given up on sound after fooling with it all day with no success. I dug out an old USB sound dongle.... success? Is your sound working?

Good to hear you have a mostly working system.

I use a USB sound card, and it has always just worked on my hackintosh (or Linux or Windows for that matter). Haven't tried the integrated one.

An interesting thing happened yesterday, I removed my DSDT and got a very noticeable performance boost. Can't be placebo. Graphics seem more responsive and fluid, mouse and keyboard feel more responsive.. I'm guessing it's something related to cpu power management. I have a Gigabyte board though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back