Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS]multiboot macOS Sierra & Win7 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi | i7-4790 | 16GB RAM | Radeon 5770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! thats really impressive scores, for the CPU its what I expected from a high end one, wasn't sure about 5770 but as I see its really a jaws dropper for OS X :thumbup:

Thank you again you covered all I needed to know.

Cheers

Yes, indeed. Even I was amazed by the results of the 5770 chip on OS X. Now I remember why I picked that card in the first place; I planned to install a Hackintosh when the first OS X Leopard was launched and became possible to run on Hackintosh based system, while knowing that this specific model is fully supported. But unfortunately my previous PC's motherboard wasn't compatible with Hackintosh so I never really had the chance to test this. Until now. :)

Glad I could help.

Hey goldeng, My setup is similar to yours i have a z97n wifi board. I am wondering if you have had experienced any reboot after sleep? Mine does that if the monitor has been turned off and i try to wake my machine it reboots.

Hey goldeng, My setup is similar to yours i have a z97n wifi board. I am wondering if you have had experienced any reboot after sleep? Mine does that if the monitor has been turned off and i try to wake my machine it reboots.

Hi hockeylove,

On mine the 'Sleep' seems to be working fine. However I turned this feature OFF right when it first happened automatically after installing the system as I don't like my computer to go to sleep. :) But I just checked that for you to confirm how it reacts:

When I click on the 'Sleep' option from the Apple menu it takes about 20 seconds and then the machine seems as if it was turned off completely (power button on the case doesn't blink but I'm not sure if it should).
When I hit the 'Power' button the wake up time takes 3 seconds to see and control the Desktop again.

To confirm is the issue is with the MultiBeast patches or your BIOS/UEFI settings, try booting the system from the rescue thumb-drive. Then try putting it to sleep and see how it reacts. If everything seems fine then try using a different version of MultiBeast like I tried when I had problems with the Audio driver. However if you encounter the same issue when booting from the rescue thumb-drive then I'd go and check the BIOS/UEFI settings. I reboot my system and updated the post with more BIOS/UEFI settings screenshots for you. Reffer to the 'Power Management' screenshot and compare with yours. Hopefully it would help. :)

Very impressive build. I wonder why Memory Profile XMP1 is not chosen... does the memory not run at 1600 MHz?

From what I have read, the stock Intel CPU cooler is marginal during benchmark CPU testing of that 4790, which has a Thermal Design Power of 84 watts. Your system is like an improved/updated version of mine, except for those items (see my sig at left). You might want to download the Intel Power Gadget https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20 and monitor your CPU temp while running a benchmark just to be sure it's reasonable. My choice for a CPU cooler was the Noctua NH-L9i, which fits the Mini-ITX board perfectly and adds cooling capability over the stock Intel unit.

Very impressive build. I wonder why Memory Profile XMP1 is not chosen... does the memory not run at 1600 MHz?

From what I have read, the stock Intel CPU cooler is marginal during benchmark CPU testing of that 4790, which has a Thermal Design Power of 84 watts. Your system is like an improved/updated version of mine, except for those items (see my sig at left). You might want to download the Intel Power Gadget https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20 and monitor your CPU temp while running a benchmark just to be sure it's reasonable. My choice for a CPU cooler was the Noctua NH-L9i, which fits the Mini-ITX board perfectly and adds cooling capability over the stock Intel unit.

Thanks wstrohm!

I'm really not sure why the XMP1 is disabled. Maybe on mistake. The memory should run at 1600Mhz. I'll check that.

And about the optional CPU cooling, the case does get hot on heavy load when I think about it and right after reading your message and suggestion about the Noctua NH-L9i, I went to the store where I picked all the hardware and planned on buying it. But my friend who works there said that there is a better Noctua's low profile cooling in stock that should fit in my Lian-Li case which is the Noctua NH-L9x65. So I picked that up but didn't had the time to assembling it yet. And besides I would like to capture the temperature with the Intel stock cooling first for comparison. Speaking on which, I couldn't figure out how the Intel Power Gadget works. I installed it but it didn't seem to capture any temperature data. Any ideas on how to configure it or maybe a recommendation on a different free tool that can capture CPU temp?

Thanks,
goldeng

Last edited:
Hey, thank you very much for time and precision taken for everyone's benefit ;-)
Are you ok with the stock Intel ventirad on your i7....? Doesn't it overheat or "overnoise"? ;-)
Oups sorry did not see last comments before posting

Thanks goldeng! I'll check it out!

Hey, thank you very much for time and precision taken for everyone's benefit ;-)
Are you ok with the stock Intel ventirad on your i7....? Doesn't it overheat or "overnoise"? ;-)
Oups sorry did not see last comments before posting

Hi ingmar92110!,

I'm really pleased with the Intel stock cooling only because you can barely hear it - it's almost silent. And due to that very fact I found myself more than once opening the case to confirm that the CPU fan does work heh heh... :) But that's only there to it - it's quite silent. As for cooling, it's a bit weak for such strong CPU in such mini-ITX case like mine. The mounting-rack of the motherboard gets hot, which warms the entire case. So it would be wise to consider a better cooling solution for the CPU. That is why I took wstrohm's suggestion seriously and went to purchase a better cooling solution. But I went with a bit taller model that should fit just right in my case too (the Noctua NH-L9x65). However it's still in the box as I really want to measure the heat temperature with the Intel stock cooling during benchmark test first, and only after to run the same test with the Noctua for comparison. For that I'm still waiting for wstrohm to reply with suggestions of any free tools that can measure the CPU temp. If you know of any I'd be glad to know. :)

Thanks,
goldeng

Hi ingmar92110!,

I'm really pleased with the Intel stock cooling only because you can barely hear it - it's almost silent. And due to that very fact I found myself more than once opening the case to confirm that the CPU fan does work heh heh... :) But that's only there to it - it's quite silent. As for cooling, it's a bit weak for such strong CPU in such mini-ITX case like mine. The mounting-rack of the motherboard gets hot, which warms the entire case. So it would be wise to consider a better cooling solution for the CPU. That is why I took wstrohm's suggestion seriously and went to purchase a better cooling solution. But I went with a bit taller model that should fit just right in my case too (the Noctua NH-L9x65). However it's still in the box as I really want to measure the heat temperature with the Intel stock cooling during benchmark test first, and only after to run the same test with the Noctua for comparison. For that I'm still waiting for wstrohm to reply with suggestions of any free tools that can measure the CPU temp. If you know of any I'd be glad to know. :)

Thanks,
goldeng

@goldeng,

The Intel Power Gadget should show you a logging of power, frequencies, and temperature in degrees C while it is running. What exactly is your problem with it?

For that I'm still waiting for wstrohm to reply with suggestions of any free tools that can measure the CPU temp. If you know of any I'd be glad to know. :)

Well i do use under Win10 (second boot drive) the very simple tools from gigabyte, those given on cd with the motherboard... sorry for no help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back