Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Mountain Lion, GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
sublightnova,
Before buying, I would read the tonymacx86 Buyers Guide (see my sig blk below for link). The 650's are not yet supported in Mountain Lion. However, see my post here for how I got a GTX 650 Ti working: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...th-gtx-650-ti-mountain-lion-4.html#post494577

The early releases of the UP5 TH Gigabyte motherboard have the same sound problem. (I've got that issue, too.) :thumbdown:

sublightnova,
Before buying, I would read the tonymacx86 Buyers Guide (see my sig blk below for link). The 650's are not yet supported in Mountain Lion. However, see my post here for how I got a GTX 650 Ti working: http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...th-gtx-650-ti-mountain-lion-4.html#post494577

The early releases of the UP5 TH Gigabyte motherboard have the same sound problem. (I've got that issue, too.) :thumbdown:

Thanks for the heads up! :) Yeah I would probably go for a GTX 670 or perhaps a GTX 660 which should be ok. I'm even contemplating keeping my ATI 4870x2 for the time being which I think could be ok but I'll have to read up on that.

I've been reading so much info, threads, posts on both tonymac86, insanelymac etc that it is a bit overwhelming sometimes hehe.

What sound issues? I have the same board and I don't have any sound issues.

What sound issues? I have the same board and I don't have any sound issues.

It appears that the green port isn't working on early releases (rev. 1) of the board, also the TH one. But as the TH doesn't appear to have an updated rev 1.1 board I'm not sure if the problem is still there.

BTW anyone know if there would be any problems with the GTX 660/670. It appears that nvidia hasn't been able to tackle some bug which makes it use the PCIE-2.0 standard instead of the 3.0 specification. Would that form a bottleneck on this sytem?

Btw I realise this is more a hardware related question as a specific ML question but: how does the stock cooler on the 3770K peform? I always hate messing with non standard coolers and most are so huge it removes any space I have in my case.

update:
Ah well.. decided to go ahead anyway and order my stuff... went for the GA-Z77X-UD5H iZ77, GTX 670 FTW, 3770K, Corsair 550D obsidian case, 16 gigs vengeance, Corsair GS700 and some other stuffz... Can't wait to pickup the stuff and get going :)

This will also be my first gigabyte product ever (yeah really).. Always been an ASUS man but they have dissapointed me a few times in the past and from what I'm hearing the Gigabyte board is great.

Parts in da house... Let's build :)

update:>

Well what a breeze it was to build this system. I can highly recommend the Corsair obsidian 550D case for anyone looking for a very nice mid tower. Best case I ever laid my hands on. Very good build quality, nice acoustics, lots of room, lots of tool less pleasure. I'll try to post a more complete list of parts later if anyone is interested although they are similar to the ones in the OP of this thread. The Corsair 700GS seems like a nice choice too. Haven't even seen the fan spin, even under full load.

This system is a beast. Quiet, fast, everything you could want... Or should I say blazing hot with regards to performance. Had Win 7 installed in a breath and had ML running in no time.. Didn't look at the OP guide but going to now to iron out some of the minor problems but out of the box this system seems to run ML very well. Did I mention it is insanely fast :)

Problem atm is that for some reason I wasn't able to install ML on my Windows disk. Somehow it wouldn't let me use the free partition but I'll solve that problem in time I'm sure.

Parts in da house... Let's build :)

update:>

Well what a breeze it was to build this system. I can highly recommend the Corsair obsidian 550D case for anyone looking for a very nice mid tower. Best case I ever laid my hands on. Very good build quality, nice acoustics, lots of room, lots of tool less pleasure. I'll try to post a more complete list of parts later if anyone is interested although they are similar to the ones in the OP of this thread. The Corsair 700GS seems like a nice choice too. Haven't even seen the fan spin, even under full load.

This system is a beast. Quiet, fast, everything you could want... Or should I say blazing hot with regards to performance. Had Win 7 installed in a breath and had ML running in no time.. Didn't look at the OP guide but going to now to iron out some of the minor problems but out of the box this system seems to run ML very well. Did I mention it is insanely fast :)

Problem atm is that for some reason I wasn't able to install ML on my Windows disk. Somehow it wouldn't let me use the free partition but I'll solve that problem in time I'm sure.
Great to hear things went well! My system is just as fast...pretty sweet right!?!

I haven't tried installing both OSes on the same hard drive yet, but I know it's possible (there are guides on this forum on how to do it). I went all out and put each OS on a separate SSD (probably a waste, but oh well).

I'm experiencing issues with ML on this system probably because I actualy didn't pay close attention to the guide.

I also didn't manage to get ML on the same SSD as Win7 but I suppose that is not such a big issue. Seems my 2tb drive is fast enough still for the job.

I will probably do a reinstall tonight and see if I can get it running better.

But hardware wise, this is one beast... Just have to tune and tweak a bit to say the same about the OS :)

sublightnova,
Apple's OS X can only be installed on a HDD with a 1TB or less partition.

It appears that the green port isn't working on early releases (rev. 1) of the board, also the TH one. But as the TH doesn't appear to have an updated rev 1.1 board I'm not sure if the problem is still there.

BTW anyone know if there would be any problems with the GTX 660/670. It appears that nvidia hasn't been able to tackle some bug which makes it use the PCIE-2.0 standard instead of the 3.0 specification. Would that form a bottleneck on this sytem?

Btw I realise this is more a hardware related question as a specific ML question but: how does the stock cooler on the 3770K peform? I always hate messing with non standard coolers and most are so huge it removes any space I have in my case.

update:
Ah well.. decided to go ahead anyway and order my stuff... went for the GA-Z77X-UD5H iZ77, GTX 670 FTW, 3770K, Corsair 550D obsidian case, 16 gigs vengeance, Corsair GS700 and some other stuffz... Can't wait to pickup the stuff and get going :)

This will also be my first gigabyte product ever (yeah really).. Always been an ASUS man but they have dissapointed me a few times in the past and from what I'm hearing the Gigabyte board is great.

I have the same hardware, but cant get to the installer using unibeast. Which bootflags did you use?

sublightnova,
Apple's OS X can only be installed on a HDD with a 1TB or less partition.

Yeah, the partition I installed it on was about 400 gigs on a 2TB drive.. Seems to work ok although a few things to iron out... Also got the bootloader working as expected now. Still can't get it to install on my Windows SSD but that is ok for now.

@TheBadAss.. just used GraphicsEnabler=No if I recall correctly..

Sound works ok on ML with the multibeasts driver but it seems as if the optical out doesn't work. Not a big problem as the others do work.

Installing ML was pretty easy.. Most things worked right after the install.. Only used multibeast for audio, network, bootloader and HW monitor plugins.. Think sleep also worked right away (without disabling SATA controllers etc) but haven't tested it that much yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back