Contribute
Register

Success! Mountain Lion, GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5-2500K, Radeon 5870

Status
Not open for further replies.
mleduff7,
My hackintoshs sleep and wake-up in both scheduled and manual methods, and they're hooked up to a KVM switch. So, your system should do the same. Make sure that you've only got the 1st three boxes checked in the Energy Saver (System Preferences).

mleduff7, What Bluetooth Adapter are you using? MIne is the Targus USB Bluetooth® Adapter ACB10US and it seems to work very well. I do not have any issues waking from sleep after using please sleep. NY system does not automatically sleep, but that is not a big deal as I can overcome that with please sleep.

+1 cap2587 :thumbup: The Targus BT USB dongle is what I use with my KVM switches. However, in my case, it works best when pluged into the monitor's USB hub. Dunno why, but it does.

Stork, I could try and plug my Targus Bluetooth adapter into my Monitor USB connections.

After reading a bunch of the newegg reviews regarding the Antec 900 V2 case It seems like everyone is very happy with the temps and think the noise level is on the low side for how many fans installed. When I compare this case's noise level to my COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case with 4 120mm fans installed it is rather noisy. Is that because my COOLER MASTER case is full size and does not have the 200mm fan on the top. You cannot hear the Cool Master case at all and the Antec sounds like it is taking off at a runway. Thanks.

I have got my eye on the following two cases for my next Hackintosh build.

Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case ($120) Vs Corsair Graphite Series 600T CC600TM Mid-Tower Gaming Case ($140).

Does anyone have the above cases, if so which one would you go with? I silent case is of top priority and also that there is no space limitations with a larger GPU, Heatsink and RAM.

I have both a R3 Black Perl and the 600T. The 600T is huge with more interior room than a small apartment. :lol: (See my Zorro build description for some more info on it.) It's a great case if you have a large air processor cooler, lots of disk drives, one or more large graphics cards, and/or are a Kluz and need more room for you large hands like me. It sits next to my arm chair in my man cave (or as my family calls it, "The Room of Ill Compute"). It makes a nice end table with a small wooden stand over the exit fan for a lamp. Big. Seriously, check the dimensions as it's designed to sit on the floor.

The R3 is just plain QUIET. (Oops! Sorry 'bout that.) It's slightly smaller than the 600T. The R4 has slight improvements over the R3 including USB 3 front panel ports. You can read more about the R4 improvements over the R3 in this AnandTech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6102/fractal-design-define-r4-case-review-evolution-not-revolution Like the Corsair 600T, it's got gobs of HDD mounts. (See the pictures in the AnandTech review.) Since I don't use large graphics cards, yet (the other mods are shaming me into trying one), I can't vouch the size of graphic card it can take, but it will take a full size ATX motherboard.

If you don't need a large case, I'd recommend the R4. However, like the Corsair 600T, the front panel ports are located on the top front edge which makes it inconvenient to have on the desk as you have to stand up to plug a USB cord into the front panel. But, did I mention that it's QUIET. Shhhhhhh

Stork,

I am hoping you would still be able to help me getting my system to sleep properly. Using please sleep is just not working and causes mouse freezing, kernal panic and I have to restart it constantly. Here is the suggestions you gave me in an earlier post(see below).

Do I need to update my Bios to F12, if so how do I do that. Then do I have to set up Multibeast again with F12 DSDT. Unfortunately I cannot remember my MUltibeast settings. I have my Targus Bluetooth connected to one of the USB Ports next to my PS/2 Port. I followed your energy saver settings. The only thing that does not work is the system does not sleep after 5 min (How long I have set up to automatically sleep). Thanks for any additional help.

Stork said:
Hmmm, my two Z68X-UD3H based system sleep and wake-up just fine. (I'm still running Lion as my production OS.) I don't know what you guys are doing that you have to use PleaseSleep, but it would be helpful if you take a screen snapshot of your MultiBeast configuration. Or you can compare my MultiBeast configurations to yours. Maybe we can find the problem.

First, you need to be on BIOS F12 using the F12 DSDT from the tonymacx86 DSDT Database. The UEFI BIOS for the Z68X-UD3H is still in beta and is buggy.

Then, let's "try this." If you've got the right BIOS & DSDT already:
In the Energy Saver System Preference Pane, turn off the Wake for Ethernet network access; and
Make sure Start up Automatically after Power Failure and Restart...are unchecked.

I also have my KVM USB connected to the USB 2 ports above the PS/2 port. So make sure your USB KB/Mouse is/are connected to these ports or the front panel USB 2 ports.

Stork,

I am hoping you would still be able to help me getting my system to sleep properly. Using please sleep is just not working and causes mouse freezing, kernal panic and I have to restart it constantly. Here is the suggestions you gave me in an earlier post(see below).

Do I need to update my Bios to F12, if so how do I do that. Then do I have to set up Multibeast again with F12 DSDT. Unfortunately I cannot remember my MUltibeast settings. I have my Targus Bluetooth connected to one of the USB Ports next to my PS/2 Port. I followed your energy saver settings. The only thing that does not work is the system does not sleep after 5 min (How long I have set up to automatically sleep). Thanks for any additional help.

First, I don't know what BIOS version you're running. If you're running F10 or higher with the corresponding DSDT, you shouldn't have sleep problems and something else is causing your sleep problem. But, it's always a good idea to run the latest full release BIOS and corresponding DSDT. (Note: don't use the Z68X-UD3H UEFI BIOS as it's still a Beta release, and we've not had very good results with it, yet. Hopefully, when the UEFI BIOS is released, our mobo will be like the Z77 mobos - you won't need a DSDT.)

If you need to update your BIOS, there are several excellent guides on how to update your BIOS on the this Forum and 'Net. Here's a guide on Tweaktown's web site which you can read FYI: BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide". The easy way is this:

:ch: Prepare a USB thumb drive formatted to FAT 32;
:ch: Download the BIOS from Gigabyte's web site; the BIOS will be a Windoze .exe (self extracting archive) file;
:ch: Download the corresponding DSDT;
:ch: Download the free Stuffit Expander for Mac and use it to unpack the BIOS from the .exe file: http://www.stuffit.com/mac-expander.html
:ch: Move the unpacked BIOS to the USB drive;
:ch: Back up old DSDT and remove it from both the Desktop and the /Extra folder;
:ch: Put the latest DSDT on your Desktop, naming it DSDT.aml;
:ch: Copy the DSDT.aml from the Desktop to the /Extra folder;
:ch: Boot into the BIOS, select Q-Flash option to update your BIOS and choose the file on the USB drive;
:ch: Once your BIOS has been updated, load the Optimized BIOS parameters from the BIOS home screen & set up the BIOS just like you did when you started out in tonymacx86's iBoot & MultiBeast Installation Guide; and
:ch: Save your BIOS (F10) and then Save and Exit and boot into OS X.​

That's as easy as I can make it, but check out other guides just to make sure I haven't left something out. The hard part is getting over the fear of updating your BIOS if you've never done it before. Two years ago, I was in that position. So, you'll get it done OK. :thumbup:

Stork,

Thanks for your quick response. I am running F10 Bios and have the latest F10 DSDT version. What other troubleshooting steps should I follow prior to updating my Bios. The only thing not working is Auto sleep. I am also having a problem when waking from sleep with my Ethernet IP going to 169.... and not giving me ethernet. I think this has something to do with my sleep problem as well. Ideas would be appreciated. What are the key settings in Multibeast that relate to sleep?

No MultiBeast settings, it's in the DSDT and the Energy Saver (System Preferences). I think you're running out of options unless you want to upgrade to BIOS F12 and the corresponding DSDT which might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back