Contribute
Register

Success! Linksys Wireless Mini USB Adapter AC580 (AE6000) Dual Band on Mavericks 10.9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP probook 6460b
CPU
Core i5-2520M
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I managed to have a Linksys Wireless Mini USB Adapter AC580 Dual Band running on Mavericks 10.9.1.

This Wifi USB dongle is not officially supported on Mac by Cisco/Linksys yet but it will probably come later this year.

This dongle has a Ralink MT7610U chip on it. Ralink (now Mediatek) released a Mavericks compatible driver on 11/29/2013. The driver comes with a basic wireless utility because it's not integrated in airport utility. The look and feel would need polishing but the functionnalities are there. It's definitely better than no WiFi at all.

The driver and utility is available here: http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=502

Once the driver is installed, create a profile for you Wireless network and voila!

This link is broken and I would love to be able to use this usb wifi as I already own it, anyway you could find this again?

Thanks

Hi, Iv'e tried the exact same thing you did. The generic software used by MediaTek is really buggy. But I tried to create a profile and whenever I ask it to connect the entire program closes.

On the other hand if its an unsecured network the usb adapter will connect on its own no problem.

Anyhow i just wanted to bump this thread and ask if you could provide the steps you took in more detail after having the drive/software installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back