Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

M.2 SSDs which are proven to work correct with Monterey? I want to buy a cheap one to play around with on aliexpress
I've never seen anyone using this KingSpec SSD with Monterey. It's really not worth saving the 10 or more Euros to buy one of these when you can get a proven name brand drive for a little more money. Cheap no name drives like this have a controller with no DRAM and use low quality NAND Flash chips, too. In real world performance, they don't do any better than a SATA SSD. You'll get low to average 1000-2000 sequential read/write numbers in testing but that's about it.

Go with a WD SN550 instead. I've seen those on sale at really low prices. At least you've then got warranty support from WD. If your only objective is getting the lowest price possible ,then try one of the Inland Professional drives. Cost about the same as a SATA based SSD. The controller has DRAM too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZS8N8Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone using this KingSpec SSD with Monterey.

I'm using a KingSpec NE-128 for my Monterey install, works fine on my A320I-K board.

Should have said "anyone except Craig H." my bad.
trs96 is right though, my KingSpec is 3yrs old and you're not going to see the read/write speeds of the SN750, which I have in my B550 build. But as an uber budget drive it will do the job.

To quote The Mandalorian, "This is the way..." :)
  1. First make a note of the MAC addresses of both Ethernet ports
  2. We need an external CH341a SPI ROM reader/writer like the one we use to flash Thunderbolt firmware
  3. We use the CH341a to directly read BIOS chip on motherboard
  4. We save the file to disk (we will need it below)
  5. We open the Gigabyte BIOS file that we want to flash (F9i in your case) using HexEdit
  6. We open the file we saved in Step 4 also using HexEdit
  7. From this file (from Step 4) we copy all bytes in the range 0x1000 to 0x2FFF to clip board
  8. Then we paste these bytes into the same region of the Gigabyte BIOS file (from Step 5)
  9. We save the modified Gigabyte BIOS file (F9i - modified)
  10. We use the same CH341a to flash the modified F9i back to the BIOS chip on motherboard
  11. Finally, we reboot the system, perform Reset NVRAM, go to BIOS Setup, confirm that the MAC Addresses for both Ethernet ports match those from Step 1, then configure BIOS parameters
Not for the faint of heart...
Cool I already own a CH341a from when I flash the Titan Ridge cards. Thanks my friend I will get back to you soon.

I've never seen anyone using this KingSpec SSD with Monterey. It's really not worth saving the 10 or more Euros to buy one of these when you can get a proven name brand drive for a little more money. Cheap no name drives like this have a controller with no DRAM and use low quality NAND Flash chips, too. In real world performance, they don't do any better than a SATA SSD. You'll get low to average 1000-2000 sequential read/write numbers in testing but that's about it.

Go with a WD SN550 instead. I've seen those on sale at really low prices. At least you've then got warranty support from WD. If your only objective is getting the lowest price possible ,then try one of the Inland Professional drives. Cost about the same as a SATA based SSD. The controller has DRAM too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KZS8N8Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Thanks! Good advice. It’s only to play around with honestly, similar performance to normal SSD’s are fine with me. Performance doesn’t really matter in this case, but I agree for the few Euros more I can get better.

trs96 is right though, my KingSpec is 3yrs old and you're not going to see the read/write speeds of the SN750, which I have in my B550 build. But as an uber budget drive it will do the job.
Does Monterey run on it? Asking for a friend (lol) and the trim issues that can occur.

Does Monterey run on it? Asking for a friend (lol) and the trim issues that can occur.
Yes I have Monterey 12.2 and OpenCore 0.7.7.

The weird thing though is I also have certain apps that require sweet CPU loads to load/render (non-graphical) content (like MAMP Pro). These apps are instead taking longer times and using up really low amounts of CPU. Nothing ever seems to really go above a total 15% CPU load, which seems like the CPU isn't really being engaged properly. I had this same issue on Mojave, and now this clean install with Catalina, which leads me to believe as you're saying it's either a driver problem, something in my EFI, or BIOS?
@CaseySJ This really is baffling me. The slow behavior continues in all apps. Loading emails, files, apps, etc. Running GeekBench gave me interesting results. The arrow in the screenshot below shows you when the test started. There was practically no visible uptick in CPU activity. I am aware that the first half of the test uses a single core, but still, I'd expect to see something happen here. The hyperthreading doesn't seem to kick in till we reach "Text Compression". At that point, you can see a jump in the CPU load graph.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 2.29.34 PM.png

1643837468747.png

Would really appreciate your help in figuring this out.

I already attached the EFI folder previously, but here are also the GeekBench 5 results:

What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks!

You know I have to ask all these questions, right?
  • Does it work properly when booted from the EFI folder on the internal NVMe SSD itself?
  • Which version of OpenCore is on the USB flash drive?
  • When did the kernel panic first begin? What changed at that time?
  • Do you have a bootable backup? Does the bootable work reliably?
  • Which version of macOS is producing the kernel panic?
Mea culpa. I thought I could sneak in an off-topic question! The board in question is a GA-H110M. I don't have a backup but that's of little consequence in this case because my home folder is on a separate drive. I use this machine for backups of my other Macs, and the backups are all on a USB3 drive. I will open a new thread in the right place. I was just wondering if there is a way to log the verbose boot on the thumb drive I'm trying to boot from, so I can give more info on the thread that I open.

This is my first try in building an OC EFI from scratch (using dortania's guide) and I'm sure I have something simple mis-configured.

Back