Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, but Mini Guide is for after install; to install is Post 1. Install don't start. Black screen for 1 hour and PC shut down. If I try again with Mojave, install is parfect. If I will try upgrade directly Catalina = ssame problem = black screen
No! The Catalina Mini-Guide is for full Catalina installation (both installation and post-installation).

Are you installing Mojave/Catalina on your GA X99 SOC Champion with i7 6900K?
No
- Gigabyte Z390 Designare
- i9 9900KF
- Saphire Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Samsung Nvme 970 Plus 500Go
- PSU Corsaire RM850X 850W

Last edited:
Upgrading the BIOS resets all BIOS parameters to factory defaults. So after the update to F9b, did you configure the parameters again (starting with Load Optimized Defaults)?
Thanks a lot for your very fast reply.

Yes, I did load the optimized defaults and I configured everything from scratch. And I did it just after reading this again, just to be sure I did not miss anything. But still no Bluetooth and no audio. I don't understand that.

Thanks a lot for your very fast reply.

Yes, I did load the optimized defaults and I configured everything from scratch. And I did it just after reading this again, just to be sure I did not miss anything. But still no Bluetooth and no audio. I don't understand that.
Let's address Bluetooth first and come back to audio later. Regarding Bluetooth, please have a look at this:

Because I have not independently verified this. You are welcome to try. There are reports in this thread of successful installs with this.

The only change would be for the USB ports you're using on your Fractal Design case. There is a custom USB SSDT for the R6 (you have the R5) at the end of Post #1.
iMac19,1 without hesitation. For video editor who require the best performance from their AMD GPUs, iMacPro1,1 may be a better choice. For Catalina users, iMacPro1,1 will disable Sidecar.

If you have a Windows also installed, then the NDK fork is preferred. Otherwise I would suggest the Standard.

All of my systems are rock solid. The crashes that I am personally reporting in the past couple of weeks are all due to Thunderbolt Local Node experimentation on a dedicated test bench. My main systems (even with PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT) are impeccably solid.

Thank you so much CaseySJ!! You're a life saver! (And a serious time-saver as well in my case)

I will actually try to install MacOS Mojave using your OC EFI from scratch and report back. I'll try to modify the USB SSDT, the only difference in our front panel is that R5 does not have a usb-c port. So i'll try to just disable that on the SSDT (if anyone can point to a guide on how to modify existing USB SSDTs it will be great)

Windows will also be installed on a separate SSD but i have no desire of booting to it using the OC boot screen, i will ALWAYS do the boot to Windows from the BIOS. So i guess NDK/Standard will be no different in my case right?

Also, 0.5.5 out today! OC guys seem to be working hard! :clap::clap:

P.S.1: Been noticing some issues with BIOS, is there any specific version i should flash? Or just go straight to the latest?

P.S.2: Should i be using SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2 from first post on OC (My RX580 is on slot1)? Or is it unnecessary?

Last edited:
** Thunderbolt Local Node -- Interim Update **

@Elias64Fr,

Despite the Super Bowl I spent some time on this yesterday. Some quick statements about the status. We know that TNODE/TBUS device tree should appear at cold boot and warm boot with or without any Thunderbolt devices connected.

Currently, we have this:

Issue #1:
  • System will hang if we attempt to hot-plug or hot-unplug a Thunderbolt or USB-C device. During hot-unplug, this happens:
    • macOS invokes NHI0._PS0(), which in turn calls:
      • NHI0.PCED() to Enable Downstream Link.
      • RP05.CTBT() to Send Power Down ACK to CP
        • This in turn calls UPSB.CRMW() -- CIO Read Modify Write
    • If we remove the call to RP05.CTBT(), then there is no hang as shown below. But Thunderbolt devices do not appear or disappear in IOReg. We still need CTBT() functionality.
      Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 8.23.50 AM.png
  • Question:
    • Does this give us a clue about the cause of the hang?

Issue #2:
  • The TNODE/TBUS device tree only appears after we perform a hot-plug or hot-unplug of a Thunderbolt device. Because hot-plug and hot-unplug currently crashes the system, we must press the physical Reset button to reboot.
    • But after we reboot (with Thunderbolt device connected), then TNODE/TBUS device tree will appear.
    • This suggests that a hot-plug or hot-unplug event is doing "something" that allows TNODE/TBUS to appear on next boot.
  • Question/Speculation:
    • Because hot-plug and hot-unplug invoke Link Training inside the PCED() method, could this be the "magic trigger" that causes TNODE/TBUS to appear on next boot?

Issue #3:
  • When TNODE/TBUS device tree appears, the system hangs after about 10 seconds.
  • This problem might be related to above Issues 1 and 2.
  • Question:
    • Does it make sense to troubleshoot Issues 1 and 2 first, and come back to this one later?

Update:
  • After spending time on this activity, the 3-part Osy86 Thunderbolt patching description now makes complete sense! It has given me some additional ideas to test.

Last edited:
Thank you so much CaseySJ!! You're a life saver! (And a serious time-saver as well in my case)

I will actually try to install MacOS Mojave using your OC EFI from scratch and report back. I'll try to modify the USB SSDT, the only difference in our front panel is that R5 does not have a usb-c port. So i'll try to just disable that on the SSDT (if anyone can point to a guide on how to modify existing USB SSDTs it will be great)

That USB-C port is controlled by HS01 and SS01. If the R5 does not have this port, then we can remove them from the SSDT and open up some other port(s). I've already done this in the attached files:
  • The file ending in .aml goes into the OpenCore ACPI folder. The OpenCore config.plist must reference this file.
  • The file ending in .dsl can also be copied into the same folder (it is the disassembled version with lots of comments), but it should definitely not be referenced inside the OpenCore config.plist.
  • This SSDT removes SS01 (HS01 was already removed) and opens up HS03 for USB 2.0 devices. Still 15 ports.
Windows will also be installed on a separate SSD but i have no desire of booting to it using the OC boot screen, i will ALWAYS do the boot to Windows from the BIOS. So i guess NDK/Standard will be no different in my case right?
In this case the choice is yours...
Also, 0.5.5 out today! OC guys seem to be working hard! :clap::clap:
Nice -- in fact all the other acidanthera kexts are also updated!
P.S.1: Been noticing some issues with BIOS, is there any specific version i should flash? Or just go straight to the latest?
No real issues with F7, F8, or F9b.
P.S.2: Should i be using SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2 from first post on OC (My RX580 is on slot1)? Or is it unnecessary?
No longer necessary or recommend.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R5.aml
    844 bytes · Views: 115
  • SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R5.dsl
    7.4 KB · Views: 119
Let's address Bluetooth first and come back to audio later. Regarding Bluetooth, please have a look at this:
Okay, I was looking for HS11 or HS12 but it's not there. I have only HS01, HS03 - HS08 and HS13
That's weird. Could be somthing with the drivers...

Okay, I was looking for HS11 or HS12 but it's not there. I have only HS01, HS03 - HS08 and HS13
That's weird. Could be somthing with the drivers...
This implies:
  • Missing USBInjectAll.kext from CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • Missing SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7.aml from CLOVER/ACPI/patched
Please check these first...

Also post a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer after scrolling the device tree on left side to XHC (but do not use 'search' bar).

Last edited:
Back