Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I actually found one mostly cosmetic issue: The graphics card sensor readout is permanently at 127°C - it doesn't cause the fans to spin up or the GPU to throttle, though, so in the background, I assume, the system reads accurate data.
With FakeSMC and iStatMenus I see the following GPU temperature readings a few seconds apart:

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 5.13.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 5.14.24 AM.png

Although this is for an AMD RX 580, but it does respond to temperature changes (108F to 115F).

Drive zero is my windows ssd. When on Hackintosh I power power it off with the switch.
At the moment windows sees no Mac drives because I power them all off using the switch.
When booting into windows the bios only sees the windows boot manager.
However if I used m.2 I wouldn't be able to power it off
I see. Do you have a link to the 6-switch device? It sounds like an interesting solution for using more of the SATA ports.

Hello @AlexComputerWiz,

A handful of reports recently in this thread would suggest that several independently sold Broadcom WiFi/BT modules are not working properly. The build guide is now strongly recommending the Fenvi FV-T919 and discouraging the purchase of separate WiFi/BT modules and PCIe x1 adapters.

Nevertheless, we can troubleshoot your Bluetooth problem as follows:
  • Is the Bluetooth data cable connected to F_USB port on the motherboard?
  • If so, please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As...
  • Upload that file. It will show us whether Bluetooth is connecting to the USB port.

@CaseySJ

I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue. I do have the BT cable plugged in, though I used the NZXT USB Hub to provide more headers (for fan hub and lighting node pro by Corsair) so it's plugged into that. I'm hoping this doesn't cause an issue, but if it shows up under System Report, that indicates to me that the OS can see it, but it's having an issue functioning correctly. I have no issue buying another network card as long as I still can achieve Wi-Fi, BT, Handoff, Airdrop, etc. If you could link me to one, I'd appreciate that.

Here is the IOREG file:

Attachments

• AEX’s iMac.ioreg
    21.4 MB · Views: 61
Does the size on USB match the size of the same file in your Applications folder?

Doesn’t hurt to delete from Apps folder and re-download...

Well no luck. 4 more times trying. I re-downloaded it. I tried a different USB stick 8GB I had laying around and still nothing. I get the normal EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY message and it reboots. the video shows what happens after that point. Ignore the audio it's just a volcano in LA (Watching a lame disaster flick from the 90's)

YouTube video of what happens: Youtube link

I'm going to try a normal SSD and see if it has to do with the M.2 i'm using. I've tried both the Samsung and the Crucial.

I suppose we should say "Thunderbolt 1" to avoid ambiguity. Technically, Thunderbolt 1 devices are just called "Thunderbolt", but that was before there was Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3.

Anyway, two Thunderbolt 1 devices have been confirmed to work without a dock!!

View attachment 414599

View attachment 414598

No guarantee that the LaCie drive will work, but please do this for more detailed information:
  • Connect the LaCie drive.
  • Run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As...
  • Upload that file.
This will allow us to see how the LaCie drive is presenting itself to macOS, if at all.

So I ran the IORegistryExplorer and it doesn't appear to pick up the Thunderbolt 1 hard drive at all. Though, to be honest, I am not really sure what I should be looking for haha.

I simply can not get iMessage or FaceTime to work.

@CaseySJ, your guide is fantastic! I built a duplicate machine as yours and so far its been great. Only struggle is iMessage.

Well no luck. 4 more times trying. I re-downloaded it. I tried a different USB stick 8GB I had laying around and still nothing. I get the normal EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY message and it reboots. the video shows what happens after that point. Ignore the audio it's just a volcano in LA (Watching a lame disaster flick from the 90's)

YouTube video of what happens: Youtube link

I'm going to try a normal SSD and see if it has to do with the M.2 i'm using. I've tried both the Samsung and the Crucial.
If you have any other NVMe or SATA drives in the system, temporarily remove or disconnect them so that only the Mojave NVMe SSD is installed.

Edit: Also see this post, which is summarized here:
  • When you get to the macOS installer:
    • Press: CTRL-CMD-SHIFT-ALT-H
    • This will allow you to use your mouse.
    • From the Utilities menu, click Terminal.
  • Type:
    • cd Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources
    • ./starttoinstall --volume /Volumes/Mojave
Replace Mojave above with the actual name of your Mojave SSD.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

I'm glad I'm not the only one having the issue. I do have the BT cable plugged in, though I used the NZXT USB Hub to provide more headers (for fan hub and lighting node pro by Corsair) so it's plugged into that. I'm hoping this doesn't cause an issue, but if it shows up under System Report, that indicates to me that the OS can see it, but it's having an issue functioning correctly. I have no issue buying another network card as long as I still can achieve Wi-Fi, BT, Handoff, Airdrop, etc. If you could link me to one, I'd appreciate that.

Here is the IOREG file:
Please update your profile with CPU, GPU, and Motherboard info.

Your Bluetooth module is indeed connected and registered. The IOReg file indicates the following:
  • You have an AMD GPU in Slot 2.
  • Do you have anything in Slot 1?
  • Is your Broadcom card plugged into the top x1 PCIe slot (closest to CPU)?

So I ran the IORegistryExplorer and it doesn't appear to pick up the Thunderbolt 1 hard drive at all. Though, to be honest, I am not really sure what I should be looking for haha.
Look for the device RP05 on the left side panel (do not use the search bar). Do you see the LaCie drive listed as a child node anywhere under RP05?

Can anyone comment as to the clearance for the first PCI-e x1 slot when a GPU is installed in the First x16 slot? Will something like this PCI-e PCI Express 36PIN 1X Extender work or must we settle for that slot being of no use?

Back