Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are there any lessons learned from this experience that might help others solve various "black screen" problems with their RX 580s?

Interesting. I'm not sure what to say, other than sounding a bit puzzled that this detour was needed! :) If you are ever so inclined, perhaps you could try disabling HS01 and HS02 (even via uia_exclude argument) to see if Thunderbolt stops working. If so, it will establish a positive correlation.

I had black screen problems, seemingly due to either a wrong IntelGFX, blank ig-platform-id, a corrupted mobo BIOS (due to repeated shut-offs on having black screens---I suspect it was booting, but not visible), and corrupted CLOVERX64.efi and BOOTX64.efi (cleared up the lack of booting after I got the RX-590 working; I'd tried a lot to only use the iGPU, but without success; I did get only the iGPU to work on the Xtreme Waterforce mobo with the i9 9900K). The latter problem was fixed by keeping a copy of the EFI folder and copying back originals, replacing the corrupted versions and allowing a proper boot.

I only got the RX-590 working, despite being on Mojave 14.4, after setting IntelGFX = 0x59128086, ig-platform-id = 0x3E920003 and checking Inject Intel on the Clover Graphics. I also added, and have not yet removed to test, a KextsToPatch:
AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Find: 626F6172 642D6964
Replace: 626F6172 642D6978
Comment: (c)Pike R. Alpha

As for uia_exclude=HS01;HS02 this does cancel TB3. It took me a while to figure it out, but seeing HS01 and HS02 with IORegistryExplorer with SSP1 and SSP2 (shown on previous post), gave me the idea to fiddle with HS01. There does seem to be a correlation. And as mentioned, USB-c on the TB3 ports worked (using an external USB-c SSD) when HS01 was on, and didn't when HS01 was off.

Please keep us posted if you find a solution. Some additional comments:
  • Do you have the latest Lilu and WhateverGreen installed? New versions were released about a week ago.
  • Do you have iGPU enabled in BIOS?
  • What ig-platform-id are you using? Are you injecting this in Devices --> Properties?
  • In Clover Configurator, are all settings in "Graphics" left empty and unchecked?
Beyond this there are a number of threads in this forum discussing a variety of RX 580 black screen issues. Injecting "Orinoco" framebuffer is controversial, but still worth a try as described in my previous reply.

I got no luck yet...
I didn't upgrade Lilu/WhaterverGreen/Clover to their latest versions before updating to 10.14.4

My settings were exactly like described in guide, putting igpu to headless mode and also using Orinoco framebuffer. I've tried to disable IGPU in BIOS and everything still the same, even when I try to boot from USB.

Last line I got from verbose before the black screen is this one:

IMG_6476.PNG

I also got latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen and copy them to the USB EFI folder, but no luck to get rid of the black screen.

Hi Casey. First of all, thanks for this excellent guide - it's inspired me to finally upgrade my old Z68 2600K machine! Just waiting for the parts to arrive....

I noticed you've updated the guide with a section for pro video users. You say:
More recent experience has shown that Vega owners who use Pro video applications (Final Cut, Premiere, DaVinci Resolve, etc.) and various Pro audio applications will realize noticeably better performance by doing the following...
Does this also apply to RX580 users? Or is it just specific to Vega?

Boot up WINDOWS and use Gigabyte utility......"Ambient" and then re-boot to OSX
That's it

If you have corsair devices you can change colors and set up with iCUE ustility for OSX
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=182942

Can't tell what corsair product you have, but I was wondering how you set your fan speeds (question might only be applicable to H150i)?

In short I am better off connecting fans directly to my mobo (see below for more info), but was wondering if you used your CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT header to connect your cooler to and if you used an specific fan headers? I would think our mobo fan headers would be a bit more similar, but it seems I have two "designated" fan pump headers. If I should use the CPU_OPT header for the cooler, should I connect my fans to the two "designated" fan pump headers or are these headers designed specifically for secondary water pumps (I'm a bit new to all this).

The H150i controls/drives it's fans directly (i.e. fans not connected to mobo but cooler. cooler connects to mobo via micro usb (emanating from the cooler) to mobo usb header.). In windows the link software allows me to set up fan curves/constant water temps this of course does not transfer over to Mac OS not to mention the H150i (if connect via the micro usb to usb mobo header) will constantly wake my Mac from sleep mode.

Also unless I missed something for the website you linked, looks like we're stuck with stock rainbow RGB?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.23.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.23.16 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.22.41 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.18 PM.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.28 PM.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.34.36 PM.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 66
You're the third person to report this.

@skittlebrau
@Snoots
@JimSalabim

I wonder if there's anything in common between you -- whether country, region, motherboard hardware Revision, BIOS version, etc.

In BIOS you can certainly disable on-board audio and exclusively use other sound/audio devices, but it seems somewhat of a waste because the Designare Z390 has very good quality audio: WIMA capacitors, automatic headphone impedance detection, voltage regulation on the yellow USB ports, 24-bit 96 KHz DAC, etc.

My headphones are always plugged into the rear headphone jack. I'm using the latest AppleALC with Layout ID 16 (0x10).
I'm going to start over and try to find the actual reason for the sound issue. If I can before I wipe my M2 I will record a short video. Not sure if that can be linked here or if we are allowed to embed youtube link. You would know if you have this problem for sure !!!!!

I'm going to start over and try to find the actual reason for the sound issue. If I can before I wipe my M2 I will record a short video. Not sure if that can be linked here or if we are allowed to embed youtube link. You would know if you have this problem for sure !!!!!
you can link your own youtube link

I got no luck yet...
I didn't upgrade Lilu/WhaterverGreen/Clover to their latest versions before updating to 10.14.4

My settings were exactly like described in guide, putting igpu to headless mode and also using Orinoco framebuffer. I've tried to disable IGPU in BIOS and everything still the same, even when I try to boot from USB.

Last line I got from verbose before the black screen is this one:

View attachment 396907

I also got latest versions of Lilu and WhateverGreen and copy them to the USB EFI folder, but no luck to get rid of the black screen.
@rj510 posted some settings that worked for a troublesome RX 590. Worth an attempt...

Hi Casey. First of all, thanks for this excellent guide - it's inspired me to finally upgrade my old Z68 2600K machine! Just waiting for the parts to arrive....

I noticed you've updated the guide with a section for pro video users. You say: Does this also apply to RX580 users? Or is it just specific to Vega?
The iMac Pro only comes with Vega 56 and Vega 64, which is why we recommend this SMBIOS to Vega owners. But it might provide a boost for RX 580 owners as well...

Back