Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ, here are my results with SSDT-TbtOnPch-Designare-X299-EX.aml (+ ACPI patches, of course):

• TB Boot Support ENABLEDin BIOS
    • Hot Plug doesn’t work
    • USB-C works, but system freezes completely when unplugged
    • With G-RAID only during boot:
      • Occasional KP’s on boot
      • Wake/sleep works, but still need to check for KP on wake during extended (overnight) sleep.
      • I was only able to see TB info only once in System Information –> Thunderbolt
      • IOReg tree looks proper
    • OWC dock only during boot:
      • Boots, but TB3 doesn’t work
    • OWC Dock daisy-chained to G-RAID during boot:
      • Can’t boot at all (gets stuck on BIOS splash screen)
    • OWC Dock & G-RAID Plugged into different ports
      • KP during boot (see attached image)
  • TB Boot Support DISABLEDin BIOS
    • Mostly KP’s during boot with TB devices plugged in (see attachments)
    • When it does boot, TB doesn’t work

SSDT-TB3-Designare-X299-EX.aml wasn't attache3d, so I didn't get to try with that one
Hi @CaseySJ just wanted to follow up on this.

I don't mint staying without a working SSDT, my only problem are the occasional KP's during sleep/wake.
Is it possible to write an SSDT to disable the PWR method that might be causing TB devices to wake the machine in the middle of the night?

I'm using the GPRW ACPI patch already. But TB devices seem to bypass that, and I don't know how to modify it to include TB devices.
Do you have any ideas?
Thank you!

一些評論:
  • 這些設備變紅是正常的。其他設備也可以變紅,這沒關係。
  • USB控制器是XHC3,不是XHC5。但是,IORegistryExplorer 中不存在 USB 端口。通常我們應該看到:
    • XHC3 --> HS01
    • XHC3 --> HS02
    • XHC3 --> SSP1
    • XHC3 --> SSP2
  • 我們實際上經常看到這個問題。可能無法檢測到 USB 端口。一些建議:
    • 嘗試冷啟動(關機並將 PSU 上的電源開關撥至 OFF 10 秒鐘,然後再開機)。
    • 嘗試將 9 針 USB 電纜連接到主板上的內部 USB 2 接頭。
  • 系統崩潰或凍結可能是由於其他原因。還是在嘗試連接或斷開 Thunderbolt 設備後立即發生凍結?
I tried your method and remained still after entering the system!

I haven't connected any lightning 3 devices yet!

I have used Er64-nvm23!

When I pulled out the Titan Ridge card, the system was running normally!

I tried to test the lightning card in WinOS with the original firmware.

This is normal!

May I have a problem with Bios?

Hi @CaseySJ just wanted to follow up on this.

I don't mint staying without a working SSDT, my only problem are the occasional KP's during sleep/wake.
Is it possible to write an SSDT to disable the PWR method that might be causing TB devices to wake the machine in the middle of the night?

I'm using the GPRW ACPI patch already. But TB devices seem to bypass that, and I don't know how to modify it to include TB devices.
Do you have any ideas?
Thank you!
There is an option in the BIOS of some motherboards called "Wake from Thunderbolt", which can be enabled or disabled. Does yours have this option?

Another thing to try is setting ErP to Enabled in the Platform Power section of BIOS.

If that also fails, it would be best to capture the macOS sleep log when an undesired wake from Thunderbolt occurs. This can be done by running this command in Terminal:
Bash:
pmset -g log > ~/Documents/sleeplog.txt
This will save the entire sleep log in sleeplog.txt, so it will be necessary to know the approximate time that the undesired Thunderbolt wake occurred so we can focus on the right subsection of the log.

I tried your method and remained still after entering the system!

I haven't connected any lightning 3 devices yet!

I have used Er64-nvm23!

When I pulled out the Titan Ridge card, the system was running normally!

I tried to test the lightning card in WinOS with the original firmware.

This is normal!

May I have a problem with Bios?
Please try flashing NVM33 from Designare Z390 to your GC-Titan Ridge. I have two GC-Titan Ridge cards, both with NVM33 from Desginare Z390. They work quite well.

I CaseySJ, this is my device:

- Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1
- Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3)
- 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
- 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4
- Radeon RX 580 8 GB with LG HDR 5K Display 34-inch (5120 × 2160)

Any suggestion to change the Radeon RX 580 8 GB with one better for LG HDR 5K?

Regards

Please try flashing NVM33 from Designare Z390 to your GC-Titan Ridge. I have two GC-Titan Ridge cards, both with NVM33 from Desginare Z390. They work quite well.
I have tried various firmware versions including NVM33, but it still causes the system to freeze. I don't think it's a Thunderbolt card or firmware problem.

Hello. I have a big negative effect from updating from Big Sur to Monterey.

My Bluetooth has been unavailable since Big Sur.
(I am using Bluetooth 4.0 broadcom BCM94360CD.)
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

These kexts were not a remedy. However, AirDrop has been restored to some extent. However, AirDrop from iOS to Mac still doesn't respond.
(If you forget to install BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, Bluetooth seems to be available, but it doesn't work at all. Pairing is not possible.)
My iPad can no longer connect to Sidecar wirelessly. Wired connection is possible.

Is there anyone who can solve this problem?

Thank you first!

I have tried various firmware versions including NVM33, but it still causes the system to freeze. I don't think it's a Thunderbolt card or firmware problem.
@RenJie
Verify under BIOS :
  • Under Thunderbolt configuration > Thunderbolt Boot Support > Select Boot once
  • Under Thunderbolt configuration > Discrete Thunderbolt Configuration > Thunderbolt Usb Support > Select Enable
Is your XHC3 under Thunderbolt tree is populated ?
If not, try connecting an USB-C device on Thunderbolt connector, reply us if XHC3 is populated and see if freeze persist ?

Last edited:
Hello. I have a big negative effect from updating from Big Sur to Monterey.

My Bluetooth has been unavailable since Big Sur.
(I am using Bluetooth 4.0 broadcom BCM94360CD.)
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext

These kexts were not a remedy. However, AirDrop has been restored to some extent. However, AirDrop from iOS to Mac still doesn't respond.
(If you forget to install BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, Bluetooth seems to be available, but it doesn't work at all. Pairing is not possible.)
My iPad can no longer connect to Sidecar wirelessly. Wired connection is possible.

Is there anyone who can solve this problem?

Thank you first!
BrcmBluetoothInjector is not compatible with Monterey. We need to use BlueToolFixup instead.

BrcmBluetoothInjector is not compatible with Monterey. We need to use BlueToolFixup instead.
Hi.
I have only temporarily verified the BrcmBluetoothInjector.

I tried using the BlueTool Fixup that was included in the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI, but it didn't work.
I don't know any other way ...

Back