Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi, Installation seemed to run ok, but very very slow after the second reboot. It was 8 mins left. Screen was black with an almost indistinguishable black square in the middle for a while. The arrow for the mouse just showed for a minute and reacted normally. After that, the monitor restarted twice, and now it gets no signal. The machine itself seems to not react anymore. The loading LED indicator has not blinked for almost 10 minutes. I´ll wait if this is normal. Or should I do a manual restart?
Yes please force a reboot. At the OpenCore Picker, double-check that the correct boot option is selected. It should either be "Macintosh HD" or the name of your Mojave/Catalina SSD.

If problem persists, please compress and post the OpenCore EFI folder.

Edit: screen is back but still black with the indistinguishable square in the middle and the mouse only works inside that square... My Catalina installer was just 8.25 GB by the way.
You're right. I was thinking of the 12GB Big Sur installation file.

Hi - Bought the card in July last year. It all has been working under Mojave and Catalina so I know it can work. Whats been frustrating is it often requires a number of boots to get going - Sometimes it started up straight away. Plus a kernel panic to do with an audio driver (which works fine in a real mac) often preceded the card activating after the panic. But- Ive been working away with these impediments since July with both ports activated at 40Gbs on the card when it boots.

Re your questions:
BIOS parameters were reset last week whilst the card was in slot 7.
Im not sure I understand cold and warm boot. Do you mean restart and shutdown? Devices are always connected prior to boot.
Im not certain it will work in Slot 3. What I have noticed is there is less kernel panics with the card in slot 3. I tried it in Slot 5 as well. If ,whilst on, I disconnect the 10g ethernet connected by itself to a port and replug it - it appears on the system. The hub on the other port won't if I do the same when it doesn't boot from start.
The IO reg I posted was with the TB card in slot 3.
How do I change the TB root port? Is this the NPE1 designation? I attempted to do that in the TB3 ssdt I posted.

Just trying to get a more consistent boot here. Not proving if it works in the system as Ive already established that - with your help originally.
Do your Thunderbolt devices work with the original firmware on the GC-Titan Ridge?
  • CalDigit 10GbE
  • CalDigit TS3 Dock
  • Focusrite Redline 16 connected through CalDigit Dock
We have often seen that occasionally (regularly?) one of the Thunderbolt ports fails to work when we flash the firmware.

The most reliable Thunderbolt performance we have yet seen is with Gigabyte Z390 Designare and the modified NVM33 firmware. This is still the gold standard for Hackintosh Thunderbolt performance.

Do your Thunderbolt devices work with the original firmware on the GC-Titan Ridge?
  • CalDigit 10GbE
  • CalDigit TS3 Dock
  • Focusrite Redline 16 connected through CalDigit Dock
We have often seen that occasionally (regularly?) one of the Thunderbolt ports fails to work when we flash the firmware.

The most reliable Thunderbolt performance we have yet seen is with Gigabyte Z390 Designare and the modified NVM33 firmware. This is still the gold standard for Hackintosh Thunderbolt performance.
I have never tried the original firmware, as I don't run Windows, I thought it was a non starter...

Yes please force a reboot. At the OpenCore Picker, double-check that the correct boot option is selected. It should either be "Macintosh HD" or the name of your Mojave/Catalina SSD.

If problem persists, please compress and post the OpenCore EFI folder.

You're right. I was thinking of the 12GB Big Sur installation file.
Ok, so I forced a reboot, booted from the USB again, and lo and behold, Catalina booted! I did post install, renamed HDD and restarted from Clover on main HDD. It works! :headbang:Catalina seems to boot faster without the purple lines. :thumbup: Its late here now, so I will connect my Universal Audio TB3 sound card and check that everything works tomorrow. Many thanks for the assistance! This is the best forum and thread ever! :D

I have never tried the original firmware, as I don't run Windows, I thought it was a non starter...
Actually it's the opposite. Flashing the firmware is not necessary for most people. These cards work in both macOS and Windows with their original firmware.

Hi All,

I'm using iMacPro1,1 system definition on my Z390 Designare equiped with a i9 9900K and a Vega 64 8GB.
Also, I've disabled the integrated GPU in BIOS.
The bootloader is OpenCore 0.6.5 which I've installed following @CaseySJ turorial.

I would like to validate with you my boot arguments :
Code:
debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 dart=0 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2

1) I want to be sure shikigva has the good value and if I need to use igfxfw knowing my iGPU is disabled.

2) Would it be better to use another system definition ?

Thank for your answers.

Hi All,

I'm using iMacPro1,1 system definition on my Z390 Designare equiped with a i9 9900K and a Vega 64 8GB.
Also, I've disabled the integrated GPU in BIOS.
The bootloader is OpenCore 0.6.5 which I've installed following @CaseySJ turorial.

I would like to validate with you my boot arguments :
Code:
debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 dart=0 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2

1) I want to be sure shikigva has the good value and if I need to use igfxfw knowing my iGPU is disabled.
Hello @Marcet,

With iMacPro and iGPU disabled, we should:
  • Use shikigva=128
  • Remove igfxfw=2
2) Would it be better to use another system definition ?

If you are a video editor, iMacPro1,1 will provide the best rendering speed. Both iMacPro1,1 and iMac19,1 are good choices for this system, but iMac19,1 will reduce rendering speeds by a small margin.

The developers of WhateverGreen have provided this table. Note also the new section for Big Sur users at the bottom of the page.

Actually it's the opposite. Flashing the firmware is not necessary for most people. These cards work in both macOS and Windows with their original firmware.
I thought it only worked without flashing if you boot into windows then macOS?.....

I thought it only worked without flashing if you boot into windows then macOS?.....
No. I've never bothered flashing, and TB3 works if I boot directly into MacOS. There are limitations, of course. But stuff like UAD, Lynx converters etc. work. But no proper TB networking, for example.

Hello @Marcet,

With iMacPro and iGPU disabled, we should:
  • Use shikigva=128
  • Remove igfxfw=2

If you are a video editor, iMacPro1,1 will provide the best rendering speed. Both iMacPro1,1 and iMac19,1 are good choices for this system, but iMac19,1 will reduce rendering speeds by a small margin.

The developers of WhateverGreen have provided this table. Note also the new section for Big Sur users at the bottom of the page.
Thanks a lot for your answer.
Will do the change keeping iMacPro1,1 definition.

Back