Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

Vendetta said:
I use the fan controller. This will allow you to adjust the speed of your fans, while connecting them directly the the PSU (or to the motherboard) will not.

I understood. I should use the 3 case fans with the controller in the case. The PSU fan connects to the motherboard. However, I thought that if the fans are connected to the motherboard, they can be controlled through the OS. Is this correct with OS X?

I have a problem understanding the "iBoot+MultiBeast" guide. This guide states the following

• If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.[/*:m:g7j9b32t]

In my case, I already have ready 16GB DDR3 (4x4GB sticks). Should I still do this and install initially only one 4GB stick? Could someone explain? Thanks.

orestesdd said:
I have a problem understanding the "iBoot+MultiBeast" guide. This guide states the following

• If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.[/*:m:cghee06c]

In my case, I already have ready 16GB DDR3 (4x4GB sticks). Should I still do this and install initially only one 4GB stick? Could someone explain? Thanks.

4GB limitation is old stuff, I installed with 8GB (2x4GB) from the start...

Bobcat86 said:
orestesdd said:

• If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.[/*:m:36p0b5cs]

So if I installed all 16GB, would I be OK? I wonder why then the guide has not been updated to avoid confused people like me. Anyhow, thanks and I hope I will be OK.

Also, I did not upgrade from Leopard, installed Lion directly.

Bobcat86 said:
But I have to use SL as a stepping stone to go to ML without going to Lion at all. I have to do it this way since I don't have a Mac and probably will never buy one from Apple.

orestesdd said:
Bobcat86 said:
But I have to use SL as a stepping stone to go to ML without going to Lion at all. I have to do it this way since I don't have a Mac and probably will never buy one from Apple.

Purchasing Lion for $29 required SL installed. I presume that to purchase ML for $19, one would require Lion installed...

Bobcat86 said:
orestesdd said:
Bobcat86 said:

Purchasing Lion for $29 required SL installed. I presume that to purchase ML for $19, one would require Lion installed...

Lion is not required to install ML for $19. According to the conference here in San Francisco, you can purchase ML for $19 in the AppStore and install it from SL.

orestesdd said:
I understood. I should use the 3 case fans with the controller in the case. The PSU fan connects to the motherboard. However, I thought that if the fans are connected to the motherboard, they can be controlled through the OS. Is this correct with OS X?

I don't know of any way to manually control the fans through OS X.

If you're referring to the motherboard controlling the fans via PWM, that's different. At that point, typically only the CPU fan header on the motherboard will do this, and even then, that header is only intended for a certain number of fans. It is possible to run splitters, but I've heard bad things about running too many fans off that header.

What I suggest, again, is to use the nice fan controller that your computer came with. Adjust the fans to a setting that is acceptable to you (noise to temperature ratio) and then forget it. If you'd like, you can monitor the temperatures from OS X and make any necessary adjustments (via the fan controller) from there.

orestesdd said:
Bobcat86 said:
orestesdd said:

• If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.[/*:m:3mavcnat]

So if I installed all 16GB, would I be OK? I wonder why then the guide has not been updated to avoid confused people like me. Anyhow, thanks and I hope I will be OK.

The guide probably hasn't been updated for a few reasons. Not only are few people still choosing to install SL instead of Lion, but the guide as it stands is not incorrect. What's confusing you about the instructions? Instead of wondering if you can or can't install with more than 4GB, why not just do as the guide suggests? Don't make it more confusing than it needs to be. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back