Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] first build ever - Gigabyte & Corsair 650D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first build ever - Hackintosh or otherwise

gotosleep said:
FYI, you can save $50 if you live near a Microcenter by purchasing i5 and your motherboard together.

I live in San Francisco, and I don't know a "Microcenter" around here. The only place where PC hardware is sold locally is "Central Computer", and this is its web site. Best buy also sells some harware and there are two BB locally here. Thanks for the advice.

P.S. I did find Micro Center website here

Yes, it's Micro Center. Looks like the closest one to you is in Silicon Valley which is an understandable location for a computer supermarket. :lol:

Stork said:
Yes, it's Micro Center. Looks like the closest one to you is in Silicon Valley which is an understandable location for a computer supermarket. :lol:

Too bad it is too far for me. I don't drive anymore. ;) Will you trust that Micro Center web site to buy part from it?

Most of the components I've bought from them is for "in-store purchase only." So, I don't know. However, they seem like a reputable company.

Stork said:
Most of the components I've bought from them is for "in-store purchase only." So, I don't know. However, they seem like a reputable company.

Thanks.

Just bought a Corsair H60 Hydro CPU Cooler for $55 and running an i5 2500K Over-clocked 4.2GHz under 55C (max) running latest Geekbench 32-bit.

This thing will not interfere with Vengeance or any other well better radiated higher profile memory.

Although the CPU you spec'ed is cheaper, it is actually that... cheaper !

Bobcat86 said:
Just bought a Corsair H60 Hydro CPU Cooler for $55 and running an i5 2500K Over-clocked 4.2GHz under 55C (max) running latest Geekbench 32-bit.

This thing will not interfere with Vengeance or any other well better radiated higher profile memory.

I wonder if I should get either the H60 or the H100. By the way, I don't plan to OC until a much later date after I get my hackintosh running, and it's a stable OS. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear other people's opinion. That's all. Thank you for your input.

orestesdd said:

Sorry, I meant CPU Cooler is cheaper and not CPU !

The H100 is huge, relatively loud, and is meant for very serious OC'ing. You case may not fit it (I didn't check). Remember the SSDT for i5 OC'ed goes to 4.2GHz only. I have no intention to OC past that, to me running OS/X is about peace of mind and not creating issues.

Bobcat86 said:
Sorry, I meant CPU Cooler is cheaper and not CPU !

The H100 is huge, relatively loud, and is meant for very serious OC'ing. You case may not fit it (I didn't check). Remember the SSDT for i5 OC'ed goes to 4.2GHz only. I have no intention to OC past that, to me running OS/X is about peace of mind and not creating issues.

I totally agree with your OC philosophy, for we are both on the same page about OC'ing. I already settled on buy a Corsair Obsidian 650D @ amazon. As I said, I don't plan to OC my system until a much later time after it gets built. Thanks for clarifying about the water cooling.

It seems I will have to wait until there is a new weekend sale deals to buy the hardware. So far I have seen the case and a few other things go up in price in such a way that I am not able to buy them within my projected budget. I will keep looking.... :confused:

Now I have a question regarding the "iBoot+MultiBeast" install procedure. First of all, if all goes well, I will install 16GB of ram; however, the "iBoot+MultiBeast" guide says the following:
  • If you have greater than 4gb of RAM, remove the extra RAM for a maximum of 4gb. You can put back any extra RAM in after the installation process.

• So the obvious question, do I actually have to remove all 4x4GB DDR3 sticks and leave only one 4GB DDR3 stick? I ask this because these DDR3 sticks are dual channel and I don't know if just one will work. Remember that this is my first build ever; thus, please let me know if I do really need to this. If not, could the guide be updated to reflect better changes?

"iBoot+MultiBeast" guide here!

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back