Motherboard
ASUS H97M-E
CPU
Intel i5 4460
Graphics
MSI GTX 750 2GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hey guys, I've got some extra time on my hands so I decided to make a guide for my setup. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a lot similar to other ASUS motherboards, other Haswell CPUs and other 7 series GPUs.

I've always wanted to get that 2nd HDD for an independent dual boot, but just can't afford right now, since there are a lot of things I find that have a higher priority, so my goal here was to get a dual boot on a single SSD.

Hardware used:

1x Kingston USB 3.0 8GB - for macOS Sierra (obtained through Apple Store through my last El Capitan installation).
*I didn't use UniBeast for this 1, I used tony's guide which uses terminal. Link:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.195077/

This means I've made the install USB through terminal, installed Clover on it, and after mounting EFI, just went with UEFIconfig.plist in /EFI/EFI/Clover/ & FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/

1x Kingston USB 3.0 16GB - for Windows 10.

My Specs:
ASUS H97M-E
Intel i5 4460
MSI GTX 750 2GB OC
8GB of Kingston 1866Mhz RAM
Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD
500W BII from Cooler Master
Local Brand Case

I had some trouble with USB 3.0 ports, so I used a 2.0 port which is the lowest port on this MB.
*I also had another USB with Gparted Live on it, which I booted to delete my SSD partitions and make a GPT drive. (This step is not necessary).

1. BIOS > Load Optimized Defaults > Save & Exit.
2. BIOS > Disable Fast Boot, OS Type (Secure Boot?) = Other OS > Save & Exit.
3. Boot from macOS USB.
4. Now, I've heard of a lot of problems with booting, especially the need for nv_disable=1 boot flag, but I've tried some boot flags like -v, -x, without caches, nv_disable=1, with injected kexts... a combination of them. They all would get stuck, so I decided to give a shot to just pressing enter.
Note: You need to find a combination of boot flags that work best for you. Try these above, 1 by 1 and then in combinations.
Surprisingly, just pressing enter worked. I got into the installer.
5. Disk Utility > SSD > Partition > 1 partition > name: macOS, format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), partition table: GUID Partition Map.
6. Erase > name: macOS, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map. (just to be sure, lol).
7. Exit disk utility > Install macOS Sierra > Install to macOS partition.
8. Sit through install, when it reboots, boot from macOS USB again, but then, select "Install macOS Sierra from macOS" or something similar. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PICK install from USB.
8. Let it finish installation. (I'd give 'just Enter' method a try here, but if you've used other boot flags for 1st time getting to installer, you might need them again here.)
9. After 2nd reboot, boot from USB again, choose macOS HDD partition again (not USB). You should be getting into configuring your fresh new macOS Sierra. (Same thing applies for boot flags, after the 2nd reboot. Try with 'just Enter', and then use boot flags if necessary.)
10. I had internet working, but if you don't, you're going to need to install kexts through USB from another PC/Mac.
11. Download latest Clover > Install to SSD/HDD. Download efi mounter v3 > mount EFI from disk0s1 (careful that you mount EFI partition on HDD/SSD, not EFI partition on USB (If you're not sure, open terminal and type "diskutil list", you should see which 1 is which)).

12. Get a minimal config.plist from:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-create-a-macos-sierra-public-beta-installation-usb.195077/

I used UEFI, iMac14.2 config.plist
For this motherboard you should be using UEFI config.plist. Whether you want iMac 14.2 system definition or not, doesn't matter, I think. You should be able to choose your own sys. def. with Clover Config, later, if you want to. But iMac 14.2 works fine for a system like mine.

***config.plist is a very important thing. Since I haven't messed with hackintoshing for a while, I completely forgot to change the config.plist, on my first try, since the 1 that comes with Sierra install is not suited for your normal hackintosh. It's got too much stuff in it.
It ruined my 1st installation, so I had to do it all over again.***

13. Put the new config.plist in /EFI/EFI/Clover/

14. *Get FakeSMC.kext and put it in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 (I renamed "Other" to "10.12")
Again, not sure if this is necessary but mine works.
15. After my 2nd reboot, I had no ethernet, so make sure to get an ethernet kext as well. Put in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 along with FakeSMC.kext.
This particular board uses Realtek ethernet.

16. Get nvidia web driver. Make sure it matches OS version.

*Some people had problems with driver not working with nvda_drv=1 boot flag in config.plist.
Follow this guide, if that's the case:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-drivers-in-clover.202341/page-4#post-1329453
Make sure to open config.plist with a text editor, not with Clover Configurator.

17. Reboot.
18. If everything works (it should), it's time to get audio.
19. Follow this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sierra-desktop-realtek-applehda-audio.197923/
All you need to do is download Toleda's cloverALC120 tool, mount EFI partition with efi mounter v3, right click toleda's tool, open.
It should open a terminal > type password > confirm audio > confirm version > confirm audio ID > let it install > reboot.

Thank you toleda, so, so much! Audio got me really frustrated, but your tool helped me out, a lot!

*Because I have a cheap local brand case, it has AC97 front panel audio, even though it comes with both HD Audio and AC97 cables that connect to the motherboard (I have HD Audio cables connected, though), the front panel audio DOES NOT work.
The only thing I found not working is that.*

20. After reboot > System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers > test audio.

If everything works, you may stop now. The next part of this guide is dual booting.

21. Open disk utility > highlight HDD/SSD > Partition > + sign. Allocate as much space as you want. Make sure you allocate enough, since you can't change this later (at least I didn't find a way, yet). I put 80GB for Windows (I don't need more).

22. Name: Windows, Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Do NOT use NTFS or exFat, since this will create a hybrid GPT/MBR disk. Windows CAN NOT be installed on these type of disks. It needs to be pure GPT.
Apply.

23. Reboot > Boot from Windows USB stick > Select the partition you made for Windows, there should be an error saying it's not the right format > click partition > click format > Windows install should create 2 partitions, 1 being recovery, around 16MB.
Select the new bigger partition > Install

24. Windows should override Clover and it should reboot straight into installation part 2. Just let it install.
25. Set up Windows. Reboot.
26. BIOS > HDD priority > 1. Mac OS X, 2. UEFI OS, 3. SSD, 4. Windows Boot Manager.
You should try putting macOS to boot first, since Clover is there. It may not be named the same. Make sure WBM is the last.

*** If you can't get Clover to boot, you may need to insert macOS USB, boot USB, select macOS HDD, reinstall Clover. Hopefully you can make it work by changing BIOS HDD priority. I didn't test this yet, but the thing is, Clover got overwritten and this is how I think you should get it back.***

27. Make sure you can boot both W10 and Sierra through Clover, after changing HDD priority in BIOS.
My W10 is called "Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI" and Sierra is just "Boot macOS from macOS" or something very similar.

That's it. If you've got questions, post here, I'll try my best.
Be warned, though, I'm still a noob and this is my first guide.

I successfully installed Sierra to my PC and it's great. But I have a question, how you could installed your graphic card GTX 750 (I have the same video). I downloaded web drivers for 10.12 and after reboot I have a black screen. Can you explain me what drivers did you use for the video card? Thanks.

P.S. I decided to reinstall Sierra and now all fine. New kexts are awesome.

Last edited:
Will it work with Gigabyte motherboard instead ASUS?

clover ALC 130 broke my hackintosh with identical specs. now DSMOS is not arriving. All I did is run the script, select the options.
Multibeast ALC 892 does not work either. It boots but no sound.

[SOLVED IT]

cloverALC does not cause the boot failure. The kext cache built during the restart after install does not boot.

10.13.2 Fixes:

10.13.2 Desktop after install:

1. Terminal/sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
  2. Restart
10.13.2 Boot fail after install:

1. Clover/Single User
  2. return (root# appears)
  3. /sbin/mount -uw /
  4. touch /System/Library/Extensions
  5. kextcache -u /
  6. exit (boot continues to Desktop)
  7. Restart
If no audio after restart, run cloverALC, restart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back