Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] 5K Resolution with AMD RX580, Dell UP2715K and Sierra 10.12.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there and great tutorial. I have a question. I am now on High Sierra with the GTX 1070. I use a lot FCPX for video editing.

Would an upgrade to the RX570 give me significant advantages? Also, my system is setup as 18.1 iMac. Would I have to change that?

Hi there and great tutorial. I have a question. I am now on High Sierra with the GTX 1070. I use a lot FCPX for video editing.

Would an upgrade to the RX570 give me significant advantages? Also, my system is setup as 18.1 iMac. Would I have to change that?

The advantages appear to be in faster render times... FCX seems to be optimized for AMD.

The advantages appear to be in faster render times... FCX seems to be optimized for AMD.
Yes thats what i read everywhere. For 4 video editing is 4gb sufficient or should i be looking on a 8gb version?

Yes thats what i read everywhere. For 4 video editing is 4gb sufficient or should i be looking on a 8gb version?

If it were me I go 8gb but I do mostly 4K editing. If your doing regular HD editing, 4gb is fine.

Yesterday I made the switch from Nvidia 970/1070 to AMD RX580 (Sapphire RX 580 8G Nitro+)

Bonus (optional):
Enabling all 36 cores of the RX580 (otherwise capped at 16 cores):
1. download this script: https://www.theitsage.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/enable-baffin-CUs.sh_.zip
2. Terminal: chmod +x enable-baffin-CUs.sh
3. Terminal: sudo ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh baffin 36
4. Reboot.
How can one tell if all 36 cores are enabled? Are you writing that only 16 are normally enabled? Is there a difference now with 10.12.6 support and using whatevergreen and lilu? Thanks.

How can one tell if all 36 cores are enabled? Are you writing that only 16 are normally enabled? Is there a difference now with 10.12.6 support and using whatevergreen and lilu? Thanks.
Run Luxmark. It will tell you how many cores it sees on your GPU in the right panel. Unless this is bogus. But I don't think so, I see 36 cores on my 480 and my performance is on par with this.

Run Luxmark. It will tell you how many cores it sees on your GPU in the right panel. Unless this is bogus. But I don't think so, I see 36 cores on my 480 and my performance is on par with this.
Thanks. Great hint. Yes, I see 36 compute units active. Just ran LuxMark 3.1 and confirmed my usual score of 14,200 for the ball.

Does audio over dual DisplayPort work with the Dell 5K monitor ? I’ve just set up the RX580 using an external TB3 enclosure with an Intel NUC, but so far there is no audio coming from my 5K Dell monitor. Everything else seems to work great.

Audio over DP works for my Dell. I don't know how it behaves in enclosures though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back