Contribute
Register

Stuck in boot after Monterey install (OpenCore)

Okay, here are my notes... comparing your EFI folder (whose structure now looks right) to my Skylake's EFI folder and the OpenCore Install Guide for Skylake.

EFI/OC
1. In the ACPI folder: You do not need SSDT-USBX.aml since you have SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. According to the OC Install Guide (and also my EFI folder), you also do not need any other file in there except SSDT-PLUG.aml. Suggest you remove all the other files. (I see your SSDT-PLUG.aml file has been edited; it does match mine, FYI.)

2. Suggest you remove the Bootstrap folder since it is not called out in the OpenCore guide.

3. In Drivers folder, you have 35 files; I have 5. Don't know which you really need... FYI, here are mine (from OC 0.8.9).
Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 9.09.13 AM.jpg

4. In Kexts folder, some of the kexts are seriously out-of-date and need to be replaced. For instance:
a. AppleALC.kext version 1.5.7: replace with version 1.8.9.
b. Lilu.kext version 1.5.1: replace with version 1.6.7.
c. IntelMausi.kext version 1.0.5: replace with version 1.0.7.
d. VirtualSMC.kext version 1.2.0: replace with version 1.3.2.
e. WhateverGreen.kext version 1.4.7: replace with version 1.6.6.
I cannot respond to the other items since I do not use them.

My "easy way" of updating kexts is to just type (for instance) Latest AppleALC.kext into Safari's URL window. The resulting top item in the Google search window will take you to the latest version. Rinse and repeat.

5. Looking into the Contents of your USBMap.kext, in info.plist/IOKitPersonalities/iMac17,1-XHC/IOProviderMergeProperties/ports you have 18 ports listed. MacOS only allows a maximum of 15 ports.

6. FWIW, your Resources folder contents are different than what I downloaded for my use of OpenCanopy... don't know if that's a problem at all.

7. Also FWIW, I have nothing in my Tools folder. I'm very "vanilla."

EFI/OC/config.plist
8. In ACPI/Add, make the listing track whatever changes you make to your EFI/OC/ACPI folder contents.

9. In Kernel/Add, make the listing track whatever changes you make to your EFI/OC/Kexts folder contents.

10. In Misc/Boot/LauncherOption you have Value=Full; I have Value=Disabled. Maybe try Disabled until everything is working?

11. In Misc/Security/SecureBootModel you have Value=Default; I have Disabled. Same suggestion as just above.

12. In Misc/Tools, you have 5 items enabled... I have no idea what those do, sorry.

13. In NVRAM/Add/third item/boot-args, you have "agdpmod=vit9696" which I thought was only for DGPUs using the NAVI architecture of AMD graphics cards. Thought you were using internal graphics. Not familiar with other stuff there.
[Edit: BTW, AMD RX 580 is a Polaris-architecture graphics card, not a NAVI. If you use that, definitely do NOT have "agdpmod=vit9696" in your boot-args.]

14. In Platforminfo, you have both a Generic section and a SMBIOS section which seems to duplicate the Generic. I have only a Generic section and no such SMBIOS section. Have no idea what that does. (We are both using the same SMBIOS.)

15. In UEFI/Quirks/EnableVectorAcceleration, you have Value=NO; I have YES, which is per the guide. Is this due to an H-P motherboard difference?

That's all I saw. HTH.

Last edited:
Hello, ok, thank you !!! I managed to make it boot on the HD... I'm waiting for a used RX580 ... But I think it'll nicely.

EDIT: if someone got the same machine and want to use it with Monterey, I can post my "updated" working EFI.

Back