Contribute
Register

Stuck at gray screen with mouse cursor after booting Mojave [Haswell+Asrock B85M Pro4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS B660 PLUS D4
CPU
i5-12400F
Graphics
R9 Fury
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I followed the installation guide for Mojave:

1- I created the bootable USB using UEFI Boot Mode;

2- I tried to change as much settings that I could from the bios, but I could not change:
-disable CFG-Lock
-Set OS Type to Other OS
-Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
Cause in my Bios these settings are missing.

3-Once I boot from the USB, the Apple logo appears on the screen, it loads successfully till the end, but after that I get a gray screen, I can move the mouse icon, but nothing appears on the screen.

I think that I got some issue with my motherboard, can anyone help me?

I get a gray screen, I can move the mouse icon, but nothing appears on the screen.

This typically happens when FakeSMC.kext is missing.

This typically happens when FakeSMC.kext is missing.
Ok, thanks I'll try that later, just one thing:
do I have to paste the file in a specific directory in my Bootable USB?

Cause I couldn't find any proper tutorial about how to do that.

do I have to paste the file in a specific directory in my Bootable USB?
Cause I couldn't find any proper tutorial about how to do that.
If you followed the Installation Guide like you say you did then it will already be in the correct place.

I followed the installation guide for Mojave

Last edited:
If you followed the Installation Guide like you say you did then it will already be in the correct place.
I followed every single point, but it is never mentioned at any point that I have to install a kext file, and even now, reading again the installation guide I can't find anything related to FakeSMC.kext.

I'm basically stucked between Step 4 and 5.

Sorry for bothering you.

Maybe your problem has a different cause, I only said that it typically happens when FakeSMC.kext is missing.
You may get more clues if you boot in verbose mode.

Maybe your problem has a different cause, I only said that it typically happens when FakeSMC.kext is missing.
You may get more clues if you boot in verbose mode.
Ok, I did everything again, in Clover I selected the option that let me boot using the kext files instead of the standard option.
Somehow it worked!

Now I can go with the installation of Mojave.
BUT, I have an internal 2TB HardDisk (sata connected) and an SSD nvme.
The thing is that my motherboard doesn't have an nvme slot, in fact the ssd is connected to the motherboard with a PCI Express slot, and (I think for this reason) the Mojave installer sees the SSD as an external drive.

With disk utility I made the SSD compatible with Mojave, but when I try to install it I get this error:
"you may not install to this volume because the computer is missing a firmware partition".

I don't know if the problem is related with the fact that the SSD is an external drive.

What should I do now? I googled this message, but I didn't find much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back