Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Hey! First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. Now with that out of the way...

I am almost finished building my first hackintosh (actually first computer!!!)with a z68x-ud3h, i5-2500k and HD3000.
However, I will be changing graphics quite a bit until I get everything bought.

First I will be using a VGA monitor off the integrated graphics. As you probably know, you can't use a dvi to vga since it is dvi-d (digital only). So I'm going to have to settle for using GraphicsEnabler=No with bad quality. (Now, exactly how to you set that permanently? Confused with that part!!) And yes I am expecting artifacts and stuff at this step, but I will be dual-booting with windows 7, so not being able to completely use OS X won't bother me too much :banghead:

Then, I will be getting a new monitor with dvi or hdmi. So from the VGA, what settings will I have to change? I will want hdmi audio btw.

Finally, I will be getting a Sapphire 6850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908
I know I need to change GraphicsEnabler=Yes (again, confused), but will there be "left over" settings from the VGA or HD3000?

I want to make each "step" as best as possible, and since you have the same graphics, and actually reply, I thought I would ask you or anyone reading this post.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I just don't want any (terrible) "unexpected surprises" when I try to install OS X.

c8169,
IIRC, some of the items are not reported correctly in About This Mac. Search the Forum using TRIM as one of your search items to see if TRIM is being reported correctly or not.

ben.basinski,
My sympathies go out to you if you just have VGA. I have used the EVGA GT210 in a P55 build; the 210 displayed OS X through the VGA port OOB. I believe I paid $35 for the card at Newegg and have seen it since on sale for $10.
I point this out because it's a cheap solution that will let you save for a really good monitor, if you want :thumbup:

Moving from HD 3000 to a graphics card, you may have to change the On-Board VGA BIOS setting. IIRC, it will look for a card 1st if the parameter is set to AUTO and use the card as the primary display device. However, if this doesn't work, change the parameter from AUTO to one of the PCI slot choices. Note: I'm still using HD 3000 and have no immediate plans to use a graphics card in my Zorro build. So, YMMV. ;)

Hey?! I got better Geekbench scores after 10.7.4+the ready-made overclocked i7 SSDT than I had using 10.7.3. :clap: :clap: :clap:

...and thanks to HWMonitor I know my 2700k is mostly running silent at 1584 MHz, ready to rock those 4158 MHz if my music recording applications would ever need it.

I flashed the F12 BIOS update at the same time. My system will now finally shutdown completely (no really, until now it kept rebooting when shutting off and I've been using a remote power switch to kill the power at BIOS/POST screen).
I got USB 3.0 working! (The computer froze at BIOS screen if I had any USB device whatsover plugged into USB 3.0 ports while booting up.)

linw said:
I got USB 3.0 working! (The computer froze at BIOS screen if I had any USB device whatsover plugged into USB 3.0 ports while booting up.)

You're getting USB 3.0 speeds, or do you just mean that the USB 3.0 ports run at 2.0 speeds?

nedcook said:
You're getting USB 3.0 speeds, or do you just mean that the USB 3.0 ports run at 2.0 speeds?
Sorry, I don't have any 3.0 gadgets but the ports work unlike in the past. System Profiler lists two USB Hi-Speed buses and two USB Super-Speed buses.

I've had these from the beginning but they don't work at 3.0 speeds....haven't heard of anyone that has yet.

Thanks, I'll look into getting a cheap card while I'm saving up for a nicer monitor (~$150)

How exactly do you make GraphicsEnabler=No? I've searched, but everything I've found doesn't make since. Can you explain it simply please?! :?

Also, how bad will the VGA Graphics be as far as artifacts and stuff? What will work and what wont?

ben, see the MultiBeast Features document that's included in the MulitBeast zip file. I believe it's talked about on page 5. However, I've never had to use it, even with the GT210 card.

I've only heard about artifacts with the HD 3000, not a graphics card. VGA HD 3000 won't work in OS X.

Stork said:
VGA HD 3000 won't work in OS X.

Have you or someone you know tried it? Can you still install OS X with just VGA? What exactly do you mean when you say it doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back