Contribute
Register

stiligFox's PowerMac G7

Status
Not open for further replies.
stiligFox, you did an excellent job of this. Very innovative in many respects and your attention to detail shines in the final presentation of this G5. When I did my G5 build a couple of years ago, there's a couple of items I wish I'd done as you did them.

I can't imagine what they thought at the Library as you placed the gigantic old motherboard on the scanner...

Great job!

Ersterhernd

I really like your build and have been trying to replicate what you did with the psu. I am wondering if you could give me a more detailed explanation of the parts you used to make the adaptor for the fans. I am planning on using the stock fans (if they aren't that noisy) and one is a 2 pin and the other is a 3 pin. How do you recommend I go about connecting those up?

Thanks

I really like your build and have been trying to replicate what you did with the psu. I am wondering if you could give me a more detailed explanation of the parts you used to make the adaptor for the fans. I am planning on using the stock fans (if they aren't that noisy) and one is a 2 pin and the other is a 3 pin. How do you recommend I go about connecting those up?

Thanks

Sure thing! You can do it fairly easily (I tried that out) - you do have to switch the cables around a bit in the fan connectors if I remember correctly - I can get that info for you. I'll also draw a diagram of the adapter I made, but it'll be a day or two - it's not hard but you need the right tools to make it easier. Also I will say that my black fans were rattly, even at reduced speed; that's why I went with new Noctuas.
Anywho! I'll draw up a diagram real soon for ya!

Wow thanks so much!!! Im just wondering if I should also ditch those stock fans. I never did test them but I'm guaranteed something quieter with new fans regardless. Decisions, decisions.

Wow thanks so much!!! Im just wondering if I should also ditch those stock fans. I never did test them but I'm guaranteed something quieter with new fans regardless. Decisions, decisions.

I will say - I tested them at 5 volts like Neil recommended, and they were quiet - but they were loose and rattly, which may have just been my pair. I got the Noctuas because I figured the originals had over 10 years of use, and were probably due to go out soon, which you don't want on a PSU! But yours may still be in great condition!

ill try and draw up the diagram tonight, I just need to find my fans and the blueprint I made.

Okay, so I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but here is a small list of parts I used to make this adapter (and many of the others I made throughout the build):
http://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/lc-ratchet-crimper/ (Invaluable tool for making any kind of connections!)
http://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/3pin-fan-male-connector/ x2
http://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/6pin-pci-e-female-connector/ x1
http://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/female-atx-terminal-molex-5-count/ x1
http://mainframecustom.com/shop/cable-sleeving/male-fan-terminal-molex-5-count/ x1
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...male_Fan_Connector_-_Black.html?tl=g4c155s641 (x1 for original G5 2 pin fan)

The last link is for if you plan to use the original fans; you need to remove the 2pin plastic housing and plug the pins into the 3 pin housing.

my diagram is below - I hope it makes sense! The yellow wire is not carried through since that is used by the computer to adjust fan speed; we are using a constant 5v so there's no need to worry.

attachment.php

I will warn you - the quantities I listed are bare minimum. I would recommend getting at least 3x that amount for practice and mistakes. I made I think three of these before I got one that worked reliable when I was doing my bendy tests. Also keep in mind that the PSU plug arrangement shown is a fairly standard one; it works in mine and should work in most PSU's, but you may need to check to find the pin-out of yours just to be safe.

Hope that helps! If you need anything else lemme know :D I had so much fun working on this stuff!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 649
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow you went all out! Thanks so much for doing this!!

hey fox i was trying to send you a PM but i am not allowed since i dont have lots of post.

do you have cad/dimension or sketchup for the dimension of the grommet holes of the cabling plate you used?

if yes, maybe you can help me with it as im updating my mod now.

thanks man!

hey fox i was trying to send you a PM but i am not allowed since i dont have lots of post.
do you have cad/dimension or sketchup for the dimension of the grommet holes of the cabling plate you used?
if yes, maybe you can help me with it as im updating my mod now.
thanks man!

Hey there! I do have the original files I used when making the back plate - and I have the measurements for the holes needed to fit the grommets.

Small grommet
Outside: 35mm x 60mm
Inside: 25mm x 50mm

Large grommet
Outside: 46mm x 92mm
Inside: 30mm x 80mm

The curves for the inside are made with full 25mm and 30mm circles, respectively.

After having the Laser Hive cut these, I will say that the fit was exact -you could probably make the holes 1 or 2 mm bigger all around and not have any issues.

I attached a PDF file of the grommet holes with the rubber overlap outline on an 8 1/2 x 11 layout. They should retain the exact size of the grommets, but double check to be sure! I created it in Illustrator, so you should be able to open it in Illustrator, or something similar, and copy the vectors to your document. If that doesn't work, let me know and I can get you the .ai file. (The forum software won't let me upload it.) If you would like my original layout, I'll see if I can dig it out - or I believe David at the Laser Hive has it too.

Hope this helps for you and anyone else who wants to use the Corsair grommets as well! Lemme know if there is anything else I can do for you ^u^

Attachments

• Grommet holes.pdf
    276.2 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back