1. iOS
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 Mobo
Intel i2500k (stock)
16GB Corsair DDR3 (4x4)
1TB WDC Black (W10)
500GB Kingston HyperX SSD
EVGA GTX960SC
PCP&C Silencer Quad 750W PSU

Just got a new drive for OSX, the Kingston HyperX. Great speed increase, but doesn't seem reliable? Once upon a time, this system was 100% stable (except for iMessage... grr...) and booted from Clover every day without nary a niggle. One day that stopped. Not sure why. OSX update? Windows update? Both were around the same time, so I'm not sure... Either way, one day I started needing the USB Clover again, but I was too lazy to fix that. Now I'm in it deep...

SSD has 2 partitions, boot (clover) and OS (OS X 10.11.6). I have Windows10 on the HDD. Since DST I had to hard reboot the computer, and then the SSD doesn't show up in the Windows Explorer (I have Paragon HFS+ 11.0 for Windows). It doesn't show up for Diskmgmt or DiskDrill (though diskdrill sees an unformatted disk of unknown capacity, it *might* be the ssd? I don't want to format it if I can recover it, though.)

BIOS boot menu (F12) shows "MAC OS X" as a boot option, but iirc it used to say the fixed name of the drive. I may be wrong about this. I did not name it that, though - I named it something less generic so I would always recognize it.

When I boot with a USB bootloader (clover), the Windows drive (and any external USB drives) show up, but the SSD does not.

This has happened before, and I "switched" to W10, but then it "magically" started working again, and I switched back without thinking too much about it.

I have been googling for relevant info, and come across "disappearing ssd syndrome" sometimes, but nothing within the past 4 years. Seems it's all older info. I do not have another tower to test it with, and I do not have any Ubuntu DVDs around to check from another angle, but I can get one if that's a recommended way to diagnose.

Update:

Turns out it was a faulty SATA cable. Who knew these things went bad? It's been fine in there forever...

Anyway, problem solved, and to anyone who finds this via google, remember kids, always check your cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back