Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] XFX R9 280X It Simply Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much for posting your solutions. I don't need a dual boot but I bought a XFX for a new build and didn't research carefully enough ahead of time. Now that El Capitan is out and the Clover installer is more standard, I didn't have the issue with moving stuff to EFI boot, etc. I flashed your modified bios, and voila, boot and working pretty well.

One problem though; I wonder if you ran into it. I do get a bit of quick screen flickers, it seems only when playing a youtube video. Next up, I plan to run in through its paces in final cut.. to prove it is has full performance and that the flicker is not there in final cut.

Dean

Thank you so much! You helped me solve the final problem. The V-Bios flash did work for mac, but blue screened my Windows install. So after much digging and research, I found the v-bios files to be editable. So I found a v-bios of the same card meant for Asus (which works perfectly for mac and windows) and I edited the file to trick the flashing tool into thinking it was this brand. The cards hardware and clock speeds are identical, just different coolers so I knew it would do no harm. Once flashed with my edited v-bios, all was good and it worked perfectly on mac and Windows! I will be posting these here to help anyone else out with this card. Is there anywhere I can host this where it will be easily accessible by people with the same problem? Thanks again!

Thank you so much! You helped me solve the final problem. The V-Bios flash did work for mac, but blue screened my Windows install. So after much digging and research, I found the v-bios files to be editable. So I found a v-bios of the same card meant for Asus (which works perfectly for mac and windows) and I edited the file to trick the flashing tool into thinking it was this brand. The cards hardware and clock speeds are identical, just different coolers so I knew it would do no harm. Once flashed with my edited v-bios, all was good and it worked perfectly on mac and Windows! I will be posting these here to help anyone else out with this card. Is there anywhere I can host this where it will be easily accessible by people with the same problem? Thanks again!

I have the ASUS variant of this card (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/). Would an XFX bios flashed to it render it direct bootable (i.e. without using my Intel HD 4000 Ivy Bridge iGPU to boot blindly) ? Also I'm only seeing it detected as running as a x4 bandwidth card. Even if it's installed into a x8 slot would that cause it to run at half speed? My motherboard is a Z77 Pro 3 by Asrock. Thanks in advance.

Flashing the BIOS is only necessary for some exotic models (e.g. XFX) which are not compatible with OS X at all. The Asus R9 280X should not be one of them. Can you elaborate on your issues?

I cannot boot up directly with my 280x. I need to have my iGPU (HD 4000) boot me up and then the 280x kicks in with all three of my displays lighting up (24" via DP>DVI, 40" HDTV via HDMI, and a 24" via DVI, in that order on my desk setup, not that it really matters). Also it seems that Sierra isn't taking advantage of the GPU when it comes to live video effect processing in apps like BlackMagic Design's Davinci Resolve (their NLE video editor/color grader). I'm at work as of my writing/typing this post from my phone, so that's as specific as I can get. What Clover options etc would be needed to get this card fully working?

EDIT I got it used off a friend and he put a custom cooler on it, if that changes anything.

Last edited:
Email notifications enabled post.

What happens when booting with PCIE=Primary? GCN 1.0 cards shouldn't need a helper card. Your profile also says "R9 290X", but that's not the build you're talking about, right?

Ah I hadn't noticed that... yeah it's a 280x... typo on my part... I'll fix it... thanks. but anyway when I boot up with PCI-E as primary I don't see a thing. Also, it just reboots if I don't have the iGPU set to primary/set an amount of RAM to be shared. Maybe it's not liking HDMI, DP-to-DVI and DVI all connected at once?

What does this mean?

I posted that so I could enable post replies to my email, but I then remembered that I could do it in an edit too... Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back