i7 6700k
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
My build details should be visible - but I'll just add them here for quick reference:
CPU i7 6700k / HD 530 gfx
GPU R9 380X
Mobo Z170x Gaming 5

I realise there are AMD GFX threads detailing the Intel iGPU work-around to get past the black screen that occurs if affected AMD cards are allowed to initialise during boot.
I just can't get this to work. booting from USB without a dedicated GPU installed is another story
I always end up with the same result when I attempt to enable Intel GPU booting from clover on HD . . . no Clover menu and a black screen with a blinking cursor.
I enable igpu in bios/uefi and set it as the first slot to initialise.
I'm unsure what I need to put in clover config file for igpu to work.

I have a (OOB) working R9 280X - but the fan noise and coil whine drives me crazy when in windows.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Fish

Hi all,
My build details should be visible - but I'll just add them here for quick reference:
CPU i7 6700k / HD 530 gfx
GPU R9 380X
Mobo Z170x Gaming 5

I realise there are AMD GFX threads detailing the Intel iGPU work-around to get past the black screen that occurs if affected AMD cards are allowed to initialise during boot.
I just can't get this to work. booting from USB without a dedicated GPU installed is another story
I always end up with the same result when I attempt to enable Intel GPU booting from clover on HD . . . no Clover menu and a black screen with a blinking cursor.
I enable igpu in bios/uefi and set it as the first slot to initialise.
I'm unsure what I need to put in clover config file for igpu to work.

I have a (OOB) working R9 280X - but the fan noise and coil whine drives me crazy when in windows.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Fish
I have a similar setup running 12.6. To clarify, are you trying to boot with graphics out from AMD or HD 530?

Notes from me: only one of the HDMI ports on my mobo works afaik. I think its the bottom one.

You will need to inject both Intel and ATI in Clover.

You do not need to specify framebuffer or FakeID for the 380X (unless you have an odd version with custom connections).

You need to set ig-platform-id to 0x19120000 if you are using Sierra for Intel Hd530 to load properly. Also you may need to set fakeid to 0x19128086.. not 100% sure about that value, try and confirm. I'm not home atm so cant check.

I also believe you need a gfxYtile patch that I cant recall from memory what it is, but you should be able to boot without it. It just fixes a minor glitch.

If that doesnt work, try darkwake=0 and see that you have both BIOS settings to iGPU=enable, my bios has two necessary options for it. I'm using the Gigabyte 170 N Wifi mobo.

Good luck. If you are just trying to boot from AMD, you could also try a new solution that is using the kexts whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext. Use them by installing to Clover/kexts/ and disable ati inject. Find them on insanelymac or google.

Thanks @dronefriend . . . I will definitely try the new way with the two kexts.
I don't want to use intel igpu at all - just seemed like the work around was the only option.
Also, just for the record - yeah I had "Enabled" igpu and also set it as first option ( two places in bios/uefi)
Anyway - thank man - appreciate your time

It should work. What model and make of your card? What osx version?

@dronefriend
It should work. What model and make of your card? What osx version?
It works !!!
Thanks so much man.
It's an Asus Strix R9 380X
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
All I did was pop those two kexts you mentioned in to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
And basically that was it.
"About This Mac" also reports R9 380X 4096 MB.
whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext <------- golden

@dronefriend

It works !!!
Thanks so much man.
It's an Asus Strix R9 380X
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
All I did was pop those two kexts you mentioned in to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
And basically that was it.
"About This Mac" also reports R9 380X 4096 MB.
whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext <------- golden
Thats very weird because I have the exact same card and it has worked without these kexts since 11.6. But great news that it works with these kexts, I was planning to install them myself! Do you have boot screen? Are you using PCI-E as primary in BIOS? If not, try, it should work anyways.

Strange indeed.
The Asus 380X I'm using now has never worked OOB for me!
It would look like it was going to work, I would see clover menu and initial boot logo . . . then black screen upon reaching desktop.
Hence the original quest to get intel igpu working, just to boot, then switch over to R9 380X - now there's no need because I'm just direct booting R9 380X - so yay!

I'm booting UEFI to first 16x slot which is set in UEFI/BIOS.
I have CSM support turned off.
I get Clover menu and boot screen - just as I did with the 280X
Everything works and I'm happy.
So, thank you again for your help

Your time to help me out. How do I disable CSM? Can you provide a screenshot in BIOS?

My computer wont even find the EFI folder anymore. It enters BIOS, cant even see Clover.

Your time to help me out. How do I disable CSM? Can you provide a screenshot in BIOS?

My computer wont even find the EFI folder anymore. It enters BIOS, cant even see Clover.
You have to set "Windows 8/10 Features" from "Other OS" to "Windows 8/10 WHQL" .
Then the option to disable CSM Support will appear.

Also make sure you're actually booting using UEFI and not legacy <---- I'm sure you know this but . .

You have to set "Windows 8/10 Features" from "Other OS" to "Windows 8/10 WHQL" .
Then the option to disable CSM Support will appear.

Also make sure you're actually booting using UEFI and not legacy <---- I'm sure you know this but . .
Thanks man I found it! Still not booting though but I will try some stuff.

Edit: It's working. WhateverGreen as well. What a treat!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back