Contribute
Register

[Solved] macOS could not be installed on your computer...installer resources error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got this to work on my Mac Pro 5,1 (2009)

From the failed screen, I went into terminal and copied the file InstallESD.pkg (something like that) from the /SharedResources folder on the install usb - to the target volume/macOS Install Data/ folder...

then I shutdown click apple shutdown

after that i popped the lid off my tower and pulled out all of my drives except for the target drive, i unplugged the usb as well...

powered on and held alt or option depending on your keyboard - I’m using a Windows keyboard lol - selected the macOS install volume that’s mounted and selectable and BOOM it says installing!!

Sorry for not being too descriptive, i have the kids yelling in the other room

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 146
Just a quick thank you for the tip to disconnect any drives other than the install USB and destination drive. That solved the issue for me.

I am facing the exact same problem but I can't see my apfs partition on /Volumes/* hence I cannot copy the files nor start the installation manually.
diskutil list returns 22 small disks + the USB installer. My NVme partition is not there. I could see it from the Installer!
Am I missing some drivers?

p.s. I have to say that I'm working on a Laptop

Let me try to remember how it worked...
first, run `mount`,
you should see something listed as mounted at /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>
remember what that was, you'll need it later

next, go to / (`cd /`),
run `ls` to see what folders are there, there should be one called 'install macOS Mojave.app', cd into it
cd into 'Contents/Resources'

If I've remembered the folders correctly, you should now be in the folder that contains startosinstall

recall the path we found in the first step, this is where you need it
now simply run `./startosinstall --volume /Volumes/<name of disk to install on>`

if it's not --volume, run `./startosinstall --usage` and it'll tell you the correct flag.

let me know if that works, or if I got the folder names wrong :p

This worked for me precisely after following this guide, both with attempting to install Mojave and Catalina on my HP 8300 CMT, which both got to the error of "os x cannot be installed on your computer." Not sure why this is required or how to mitigate it in advance, but I'd be happy to help investigate if anyone else has this same issue.

This worked for me precisely after following this guide, both with attempting to install Mojave and Catalina on my HP 8300 CMT, which both got to the error of "os x cannot be installed on your computer." Not sure why this is required or how to mitigate it in advance, but I'd be happy to help investigate if anyone else has this same issue.
I am updating from ElCapitan to Catalina, error happened and I followed those instructions, but terminal tells me I need an internet connection, even tho it's connected with LAN.
Any idea?
EDIT: redid the update and it worked

Last edited:
Made it for Catalina on
cpu : i3 2100
gtx 960
mobo: Asus PH8M LX
Finally making it trought the installation, for me it toke the all day
in my case i tried several things

first tried to use the ./startisoinstall it was asking me for internet , i managed to connected to interned via ethernet it didnt work

then i was navigating with ls trought the terminal, and i did notice one noob misstake i did was to to enter in to the terminal from the macOS ins from usb (first choice) i was alsos touching terminal at preboot (second choice) i was thinking it would be the same thing but definitely my experience tells it is not

the main difference you will find is that if you enter to the termimal from the usb or from the preboot you wont be able to see the paths in the right format , ie. when you use mount command your mounted device will not have this format

cp -rf /Volumes/{the name of your install media}/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/SharedSupport/* /Volumes/Catalina/macOS\ install\ data/

and most important the directory install data wont be on your HDD

also a important thing to say is that the folder you have to copy is called " SharedSupport " at least in my case
NO Resources which is similar or SharedResources which did not exist for me

Summary:

Now we have learn from our mistakes , we have gone trough boot from usb (choice 1) and boot from preboot (choice 2)

and we are on the terminal having boot choosing the option boot from our hdd from clover (choice 3)

use mount you will see how the last two devices are whay you are looking for one is your HDD and the other one will be something call Install xxxx Mac Os , if i remember well

now knowing the paths from where and to where you have to copy is easy job to do the cp -rf command

you should be able to almost copy and paste the command, all the folders MUST BE THE SAME as you dont have to create any folders trought the process

Once you succesfully ejecute the command wait untill the next bash line

check #1
to make sure it worked make a cd/Volumes
if your HDD is not there good sign!!

check#2
make a cd to your HDD and then make a ls so you can see the changes

now turn off and power on with the Keyboard+mouth, USB that you used to start installation (we need it to boot to our HDD) and HDD you want to install macOS in

on the clover screen choose boot from Mac os Install from HDD (third choice)
now we will have codding again on screen and apple logo then pc should restart

at this point we wil get to clover screen again, we choose boot from Mac os Install from HDD (third choice) for the second time

now just wait a little bit and BANG!

as your answers helped so much and i have seen there are some people around there that are still not able to install i have decide to make a little guide to solve this

thank you all very much for your help!!

I had something similar, might sound dumb but have you got any other drives plugged in? If so, try disconnecting them.
This did the trick for me, thanks a lot.

My mistake was main partition Erased as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and NOT as APFS as describes main Catalina Guide Catalina Guide. In my case, new installation with with new partition as APFS helps and works.

just to say:
I'm a total and utter noob when it comes to this stuff, and based on this thread i was able to boot catalina on my recently created hackintosh, so thank you all so much!
the initial 'startosinstall' route didn't work for me (came up with the internet connection thing), but Ylx's solution worked! I had to update it ever so slightly (because of Catalina), but it worked wonders, I'd say to any noobs that encounter this problem : watch your syntax!
here's an image of what worked for me in terminal, it's the last attempt (starting "cp -rf") that worked! rebooted twice after it had finished and all was good! If you get a usage statement , you've done it wrong, once it takes a moment or two to spit out another 'bash', reboot twice and u should be in the clear!
thanks again

Attachments

• 106454420_2615526058762681_484069992199693674_n.jpg
    106454420_2615526058762681_484069992199693674_n.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I’ve been reading this thread for a few days and trying all the options some of you have proposed. None ended up working (or I wasn’t able to get it to work). My solution has been simpler and more effective: disconnect all devices (HDD, CDR, etc.), DISCONNECT INTERNET from the beguinning, enjoy installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back