Contribute
Register

[Solved] HSierra 10.13.2 boot loops unless in safe mode. How do I fix my kexts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpr

Motherboard
ASRock H77 Pro4 MVP
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 4.00 GHz
Graphics
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Everyone,
Here are my specs to start off: Intel i7-4790k, z97x-gaming 7 MB, 32 Gb memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB

So far I have successfully installed a direct update from 10.13.1 to 10.13.2, though I needed to boot up in safe mode to get past the boot loop. I had the black screen for a while until I typed in my pass-code and somehow managed to get past it... But after installation completion, I can still only boot using safe mode.

***EDIT***

I installed the appropriate nvidia web drivers and can now boot my pc without safe mode. Mac starts up but now reboots a few minutes In. Any help on this issue?

**end of edit**

To my understanding, you can't mount your drive using EFI Mounter v3 2 in safe mode, so I cant add any kexts. I am unsure what kexts I have, but I think its only one.. sorry, I know that doesn't help a lot. I have been trying to make my way through this source: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-failure-nvidia-web-driver-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

I have downloaded Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext but I have no way of mounting my drive to add them in. Lastly, I uninstalled my Nvidia Web driver when I was in 10.13.1 because it reduced some glitching, so now I still do not have them installed. The mentioned thread has a list of appropriate web drivers, but I am unsure as to which one to download.

Do I need to just download the web drivers in order to get my system to boot properly? And if not, how do I manage to add these kexts in order to get past the boot loop?

One more thing, I dont have a clover configuration file. I only half way know what I'm doing here so any specific help and explained guidance would really help!!

my BIOS settings include:
intel graphics= disabled
VT-d=enabled
win8 features = Windows 8
CMS support=enabled; boot mode=UEFI only

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

Recently I did a direct update to 10.13.1 and experienced a ton of glitchy graphics issue, which seemed to be the case with a lot of 6 series graphics cards on here. Yesterday, I did another direct update to 10.13.2 that resolved everything and I figured I would share my experienced.

First off, I uninstalled my web drivers prior to updating. This was unrelated to me preparing, but it seemed to reduce my former glitch problem. I'm not sure if uninstalling helped or hindered my process, but it was worth mentioning.

After the update, I was stuck in a boot loop. I was able to get into recovery mode, but I'm useless with terminal, so I did not make a lot of progress in that route. I was able to get run -x and get into safe mode, but I was stuck on the black screen.

This was just dumb luck, but after hours of trying to get past that black screen just to get to the GUI, I randomly decided to type in my password and press enter and miraculously, my display glitched on! another thing to mention is that I was running a single DVI display from my gpu. My intel graphics are disabled in my BIOS.

After getting in, I downloaded NvidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext and Lilu.kext. This part also took forever because I could not figure out how to get these texts into CLOVER>kexts>other since you can't mount your drive in safe mode. I eventually figured out that after downloading the appropriate Nvidia web drivers, I was able to boot into high sierra normally.

The only problem was that after about a minute or so, the system would reboot because I didn't have the proper kexts in place. So in that minute, I was able to mount my drive and copy the kexts over. Took me a few times, but I eventually got it! And then my system was good to go.

In total, I am using AppleALC.kext for my audio, FakeSMC.kext, Lilu.kext, and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. (I actually already had the Lilu.kext in place before updating, just to make that clear. Just didn't notice until after trying to drop it in the second time)

I am certainly not the best at hackintosh troubleshooting, but hey, hopefully this post helps out at least one person!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back