Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can’t upgrade to High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard or system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Nvidia > need model # > See Rules!
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
trying to upgrade to High Sierra and can’t make it to the installed no matter what I try. I have removed all hard drives except High Sierra USB installer and a SSD that I have formatted previously in Sierra. I’m thinking it’s something in Clover maybe? Have booted in -v -s no luck...

Attachments

• FCAAA1D7-5A7A-4CF6-B34F-9ADF71C698ED.jpeg
    FCAAA1D7-5A7A-4CF6-B34F-9ADF71C698ED.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 136
  • 5610271C-034A-4D34-9749-F4FC1E665223.jpeg
    5610271C-034A-4D34-9749-F4FC1E665223.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 132
  • 66A61BC7-AF29-4C2A-AF6C-DB4CB727CFA3.jpeg
    66A61BC7-AF29-4C2A-AF6C-DB4CB727CFA3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 135
  • F9656E75-8158-4F11-9EB5-221CC9C4E62E.jpeg
    F9656E75-8158-4F11-9EB5-221CC9C4E62E.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119
trying to upgrade to High Sierra and can’t make it to the installed no matter what I try. I have removed all hard drives except High Sierra USB installer and a SSD that I have formatted previously in Sierra. I’m thinking it’s something in Clover maybe? Have booted in -v -s no luck...
  • In the listed hardware in your Build signature, if the uploaded images are from the "Mini Dynamite" with GA-Z170N-WIFI i7 6700K GTX 950 Windforce , ( I suspect this solely based on the error message found on the uploaded Verbose boot screen and I am further assuming this is probably not a direct upgrade but a Clean installation using a High Sierra USB installer disk) , you have to install the system after removing the GTX 950 PCIE Graphics card and using the Integrated Intel HD 530 with BIOS configured to use the Intel Processor associated Graphics and CLOVER edited appropriately to use Intel HD 530.
  • The needed information to confirm this conclusion is lacking in the post and a lot of assumptions are made to suggest the above troubleshoot.

• In the listed hardware in your Build signature, if the uploaded images are from the "Mini Dynamite" with GA-Z170N-WIFI i7 6700K GTX 950 Windforce , ( I suspect this solely based on the error message found on the uploaded Verbose boot screen and I am further assuming this is probably not a direct upgrade but a Clean installation using a High Sierra USB installer disk) , you have to install the system after removing the GTX 950 PCIE Graphics card and using the Integrated Intel HD 530 with BIOS configured to use the Intel Processor associated Graphics and CLOVER edited appropriately to use Intel HD 530.
  • The needed information to confirm this conclusion is lacking in the post and a lot of assumptions are made to suggest the above troubleshoot.
Great, I will try that! You are 100% right in your assumptions. It has been awhile since ive done this and the Nvidia card has always worked OOB. Out of curiousity ( I need to learn more) why does it necessitate removal of the Video card? Thanks for your reply

Great, I will try that! You are 100% right in your assumptions. It has been awhile since ive done this and the Nvidia card has always worked OOB. Out of curiousity ( I need to learn more) why does it necessitate removal of the Video card? Thanks for your reply

The following is my own explanation based on observing many verbose boot screens and eventual resolution of the problem with Intel HD graphics installation.
  • BIOS recognizes the PCIE card in its slot (even when the PCIE Power connector(s) removed from it and even when PCIE is NOT ENABLED in the BIOS).
  • BIOS passes this information to CLOVER in the USB Installer during the boot.
  • CLOVER finds a "Foreign graphics card " but does not have the needed kexts to enable it ( NvidiaWeb drivers are needed and they can only be installed after the System is on the HDD _ "the chicken or egg first dilemma")
  • The booting ends with a very cryptic message as shown in the edited verbose boot screen.

Attachments

• Graphics boot failure.png
    Graphics boot failure.png
    217.1 KB · Views: 129
The following is my own explanation based on observing many verbose boot screens and eventual resolution of the problem with Intel HD graphics installation.
  • BIOS recognizes the PCIE card in its slot (even when the PCIE Power connector(s) removed from it and even when PCIE is NOT ENABLED in the BIOS).
  • BIOS passes this information to CLOVER in the USB Installer during the boot.
  • CLOVER finds a "Foreign graphics card " but does not have the needed kexts to enable it ( NvidiaWeb drivers are needed and they can only be installed after the System is on the HDD _ "the chicken or egg first dilemma")
  • The booting ends with a very cryptic message as shown in the edited verbose boot screen.
Excellent! and makes sense. Thanks. At work now but will try install when I get home.

Excellent! and makes sense. Thanks. At work now but will try install when I get home.
If you did not have an Integrated Intel HD the installable in macOS (like for example intel hd 2500 that is ignored by macOS) this problem would not have occurred. It is the combination of two Graphics cards ( both installable in macOS) with the PCIE creating this error as its physical removal allows the boot to continue without that error and reach Installation screen provided there are no more issues in CLOVER and BIOS from non-graphics issues to cause a different boot error.
Good luck with your installation.

If you did not have an Integrated Intel HD the installable in macOS (like for example intel hd 2500 that is ignored by macOS) this problem would not have occurred. It is the combination of two Graphics cards ( both installable in macOS) with the PCIE creating this error as its physical removal allows the boot to continue without that error and reach Installation screen provided there are no more issues in CLOVER and BIOS from non-graphics issues to cause a different boot error.
Good luck with your installation.
Thanks I will report back - hopefully with SUCCESS!!!

So I tried pulling out the graphics card and setting the Bios to use internal graphics and could not get it boot to clover at all.

I have unplugged all HD except a SSD that has been formatted for Mac and I get to Clover but it stalls. (See screenshot) the fans are going pretty fast but nothing happens and I end up shutting it off.

I think I need to set up the USB install stick better with Multi Beast... maybe I don’t have the correct options checked. All my hardware was chosen by the list of recommended hardware. And I did have Sierra working on this PC fine before I tried updating to High Sierra.

Frustrating...

I reset the CMOS with a jumper and was able to get into BIOS screen. I used optimized defaults- memory XMP profile 1, V-td disabled and I am able to get to the screenshot

9C3F5AA1-3A30-43D3-B9F4-F8E4CBD6736D.jpeg

Need a little help or advice to get past this. I’m ready to buy an IMac :banghead:

So I tried pulling out the graphics card and setting the Bios to use internal graphics and could not get it boot to clover at all.

I have unplugged all HD except a SSD that has been formatted for Mac and I get to Clover but it stalls. (See screenshot) the fans are going pretty fast but nothing happens and I end up shutting it off.

I think I need to set up the USB install stick better with Multi Beast... maybe I don’t have the correct options checked. All my hardware was chosen by the list of recommended hardware. And I did have Sierra working on this PC fine before I tried updating to High Sierra.

Frustrating...

I reset the CMOS with a jumper and was able to get into BIOS screen. I used optimized defaults- memory XMP profile 1, V-td disabled and I am able to get to the screenshot

View attachment 321945

Need a little help or advice to get past this. I’m ready to buy an IMac :banghead:
  • Upload CLOVER from the USB installer as a zipped file. If you need the steps to do that, check this post #4.

• Upload CLOVER from the USB installer as a zipped file. If you need the steps to do that, check this post #4.
OK I am going to work on this ALL day today. I am starting from scratch and following all procedures. Also I am running a F22e Gigabyte BIOS. here is the clover file you asked for.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back