Graphics
Vega 64
Build
- i5 8400
- z390a pro
- bcm94360cs2
- gygabyte vega 64

Hello all,
mostly the build is working fine with my current configuration.
I executed USB mapping, but it did not help with the following:

- pc not booting when hdmi is plugged in (it only boots with vga)
- bluetooth not working (solved - see below)

IOReg attached has HDMI without VGA plugged in together, as I am able to boot with VGA, then plugin HDMI.

Bootloader is opencore.

Can you anyone help?
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 79
  • Mac.ioreg
    20.3 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Your UTBMap.kext doesn't contain any USB ports set as 'Internal' (255). So your Broadcom Bluetooth module is unlikely to work.

Screenshot 2023-06-24 at 19.09.16.png UTBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist - showing current USB setup.

This UTBMap contains 4 x USB2 (physical ports) set with UsbConnector type (0).

Does your laptop have 4 x USB2 ports on the left and right hand sides?

If not possibly 1 or more of these ports should be set as Internal, with UsbConnector (255) instead of (0).

Webcam and Bluetooth devices need to be set as Internal for them to work correctly.

According to the specifications I have seen for this Lenovo IdeaPad 510S-14iSK laptop it only has 1 x USB2 physical port and 2 x USB3 physical ports externally.

That being the case your UTBMap is completely wrong, as you have the following ports mapped:
  • 3 x USB3 physical ports,
  • 4 x USB2 physical ports and
  • 1 x Type-C
Which is correct?

Your UTBMap.kext doesn't contain any USB ports set as 'Internal' (255). So your Broadcom Bluetooth module is unlikely to work.

View attachment 568250 UTBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist - showing current USB setup.

If not possibly 1 or more of these ports should be set as Internal, with UsbConnector (255) instead of (0).

Webcam and Bluetooth devices need to be set as Internal for them to work correctly.

According to the specifications I have seen for this Lenovo IdeaPad 510S-14iSK laptop it only has 1 x USB2 physical port and 2 x USB3 physical ports externally.

That being the case your UTBMap is completely wrong, as you have the following ports mapped:
  • 1 x Type-C
Which is correct?
Hello and thanks for your answer.
I will look into it soon to try and solve the issues. Regarding the specifications, the PC used is the following:

Build
- i5 8400
- z390a pro
- bcm94360cs2
- gygabyte vega 64

The profile signature was an old build I had.
Best regards,
Luca.

Luca, that being the case you need to update your Profile signature.

As I obviously looked at the User Profile when reviewing your setup, which most of the Mod's here would do and because of that I totally missed the new system details in your post!

I'll have another look at the setup later.

Luca, that being the case you need to update your Profile signature.

As I obviously looked at the User Profile when reviewing your setup, which most of the Mod's here would do and because of that I totally missed the new system details in your post!

I'll have another look at the setup later.
Done, very sorry for this. Looking forward for your help (with the correct specifications).

View attachment 568250 UTBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist - showing current USB setup.

• 1 x Type-C
Which is correct?
Hello,

I read again your comment (I also updated the profile again). I realized that as reported in OpenCore documentation and in your comment, I have to map the bluetooth device to the USB port correctly.

Should I remake the process of using https://github.com/USBToolBox/tool or is there a faster way to discover the port?
As extra hint, I am using an adapter to connect the wireless adapter to the motherboard:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0BC4G1ZWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Regarding the HDMI boot issue do you have any idea?
Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Luca.

Hello,

I read again your comment (I also updated the profile again). I realized that as reported in OpenCore documentation and in your comment, I have to map the bluetooth device to the USB port correctly.

Should I remake the process of using https://github.com/USBToolBox/tool or is there a faster way to discover the port?
As extra hint, I am using an adapter to connect the wireless adapter to the motherboard:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0BC4G1ZWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Regarding the HDMI boot issue do you have any idea?
Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Luca.

Here is a cleaner and what I think a more appropriate OpenCore EFI for your Coffee Lake system. Try this in place of your current EFI, but do so using a spare USB pen drive.
  1. I have changed your Intel IGPU to use a headless/empty framebuffer, as you are I assume using the Radeon Vega 64 for your display, not the IGPU.
  2. I have cleaned up the config.plist.
  3. Added a number of SSDT's, Drivers and Tools.
  4. Added a populated Resources folder, so you can use the OC GUI boot screen in place of the Picker list.
  5. Updated a number of kexts to their latest releases.
  6. Checked your config.plist has no errors, using ocvalidate from OpenCore 0.9.0, as that is the version you are using.

What this doesn't fix is your UTBMap.kext errors.

Your MSI Z390-A Pro motherboard contains the following USB ports:

Intel® Z390 Chipset

• 2 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports (1 Type-A port and 1 Type-C port on the back panel)
  • 6 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 3.1 connectors
  • 6 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors)
The CNVI_1 and JUSB2 connectors share the same bandwidth, i.e. if you are using the builtin Intel WiFi/BT card then one of the two USB2 Internal USB connectors won't work. Refer to page 32 of your Motherboard manual for details.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 20.08.48.png Rear I/O plate

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 20.39.43.png Motherboard headers and CNVI connector.

What this means in respect of the number and type of USB ports & headers available to you is this:
  • 2 x USB2 physical ports on the rear I/O plate (black tang), which should be set with connector Type USB2 (0).
  • 4 x USB2 Internal ports, served from the 2 x Internal USB2 motherboard headers, which should be set with connector type Internal (255), not USB2!
  • 2 x USB3 physical ports on the rear I/O plate (Blue tang), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x USB2 virtual ports on the rear I/O plate (Blue tang), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x USB3 Internal Headers providing the following, as a maximum:
    • 4 x USB3 physical ports (to case front), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
    • 4 x USB2 virtual ports (to case front), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x USB3.1 Gen2 physical (Type-A with Cyan Tang) port on the rear I/O plate, which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x USB2 virtual port served from the USB3.1 Gen2 physical port, which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x Type-C physical port on the rear I/O plate (directly below the Cyan tang port), which should be set with connector type Type-c+sw (9).
  • 1 x USB2 virtual port served from the Type-C physical port on the rear I/O plate (directly below the Cyan tang port), which should be set with connector type Type-c+sw (9).
  • 1 x Internal USB2 port served from the CNVi connector, providing built-in Bluetooth module connection to system, which should be set with Connector Type 'Internal' (255), if used.
    • Remember if this is in use one of the two Internal headers on the motherboard will not function.
This means your motherboard has a total/maximum of 22 USB ports available, but macOS will limited you to using a maximum of 15 ports on this single USB XHC controller.

You have 12 USB ports active in your current UTBMap.kext, which would be fine if they tallied with the details above. Unfortunately they don't so you need to make some changes to your UTBMap for macOS to run correctly.

The UTBMap.kext is currently activating these ports.
  • 4 x USB2 (0) ports - HS05, HS06, HS07 & HS08. This is wrong as your motherboard only has 2 x physical USB2 ports.
    • The extra two USB2 ports are probably from one of the motherboard headers and should be set with connector type 'Internal' (255)
  • 2 x Type-C (9) ports - HS04 & SS04.
    • This is probably correct.
  • 6 x USB3 (3) ports - HS01, HS02 & HS03 virtual USB2 ports with SS01, SS02 & SS03 physical USB3 ports.
    • This is probably correct, but as to which ports are being activated is another matter.
You don't have any ports set with connector type 'Internal' (255), when you should have a maximum of 3 or 4 ports available depending on whether you are using the two internal headers, one header and the CNVI connector, one header or just the CNVI connector.

The Bluetooth module will need to be set with connector type 'Internal' (255) if you want it to work.

These USB errors will cause Sleep/wake problems, not sure how it would affect the HDMI connector but stranger things have happened.

Also I assume the HDMI connector that is playing up is on the Vega 64 dGPU, not the Rear I/O plate. As your IOReg shows a display connected to the Vega 64 on connector 3.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 20.38.31.png

See if this helps, at least I have set the EFI for the correct system this time!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 71
Here is a cleaner and what I think a more appropriate OpenCore EFI for your Coffee Lake system. Try this in place of your current EFI, but do so using a spare USB pen drive.
  1. I have changed your Intel IGPU to use a headless/empty framebuffer, as you are I assume using the Radeon Vega 64 for your display, not the IGPU.
  2. I have cleaned up the config.plist.
  3. Added a number of SSDT's, Drivers and Tools.
  4. Added a populated Resources folder, so you can use the OC GUI boot screen in place of the Picker list.
  5. Updated a number of kexts to their latest releases.
  6. Checked your config.plist has no errors, using ocvalidate from OpenCore 0.9.0, as that is the version you are using.

What this doesn't fix is your UTBMap.kext errors.

Your MSI Z390-A Pro motherboard contains the following USB ports:

Intel® Z390 Chipset

• 2 x USB 3.1 Gen2 (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports (1 Type-A port and 1 Type-C port on the back panel)
  • 6 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 3.1 connectors
  • 6 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 Type-A ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB connectors)
The CNVI_1 and JUSB2 connectors share the same bandwidth, i.e. if you are using the builtin Intel WiFi/BT card then one of the two USB2 Internal USB connectors won't work. Refer to page 32 of your Motherboard manual for details.

View attachment 568778 Rear I/O plate

View attachment 568780 Motherboard headers and CNVI connector.

What this means in respect of the number and type of USB ports & headers available to you is this:
  • 2 x USB2 physical ports on the rear I/O plate (black tang), which should be set with connector Type USB2 (0).
  • 4 x USB2 Internal ports, served from the 2 x Internal USB2 motherboard headers, which should be set with connector type Internal (255), not USB2!
  • 2 x USB3 physical ports on the rear I/O plate (Blue tang), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x USB2 virtual ports on the rear I/O plate (Blue tang), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 2 x USB3 Internal Headers providing the following, as a maximum:
    • 4 x USB3 physical ports (to case front), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
    • 4 x USB2 virtual ports (to case front), which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x USB3.1 Gen2 physical (Type-A with Cyan Tang) port on the rear I/O plate, which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x USB2 virtual port served from the USB3.1 Gen2 physical port, which should be set with connector Type USB3 (3)
  • 1 x Type-C physical port on the rear I/O plate (directly below the Cyan tang port), which should be set with connector type Type-c+sw (9).
  • 1 x USB2 virtual port served from the Type-C physical port on the rear I/O plate (directly below the Cyan tang port), which should be set with connector type Type-c+sw (9).
  • 1 x Internal USB2 port served from the CNVi connector, providing built-in Bluetooth module connection to system, which should be set with Connector Type 'Internal' (255), if used.
    • Remember if this is in use one of the two Internal headers on the motherboard will not function.
This means your motherboard has a total/maximum of 22 USB ports available, but macOS will limited you to using a maximum of 15 ports on this single USB XHC controller.

You have 12 USB ports active in your current UTBMap.kext, which would be fine if they tallied with the details above. Unfortunately they don't so you need to make some changes to your UTBMap for macOS to run correctly.

The UTBMap.kext is currently activating these ports.
  • 4 x USB2 (0) ports - HS05, HS06, HS07 & HS08. This is wrong as your motherboard only has 2 x physical USB2 ports.
    • The extra two USB2 ports are probably from one of the motherboard headers and should be set with connector type 'Internal' (255)
  • 2 x Type-C (9) ports - HS04 & SS04.
    • This is probably correct.
  • 6 x USB3 (3) ports - HS01, HS02 & HS03 virtual USB2 ports with SS01, SS02 & SS03 physical USB3 ports.
    • This is probably correct, but as to which ports are being activated is another matter.
You don't have any ports set with connector type 'Internal' (255), when you should have a maximum of 3 or 4 ports available depending on whether you are using the two internal headers, one header and the CNVI connector, one header or just the CNVI connector.

The Bluetooth module will need to be set with connector type 'Internal' (255) if you want it to work.

These USB errors will cause Sleep/wake problems, not sure how it would affect the HDMI connector but stranger things have happened.

Also I assume the HDMI connector that is playing up is on the Vega 64 dGPU, not the Rear I/O plate. As your IOReg shows a display connected to the Vega 64 on connector 3.

View attachment 568779

See if this helps, at least I have set the EFI for the correct system this time!
Hello,
thanks to your advices I managed to fix the bluetooth by enabling the 255 internal port which was missing in my setup. I also switched the extra two USB2 ports from the motherboard headers which is in use to 255 internal.

I replaced USBMap.kext in your EFI folder but I couldn't manage to boot with the configuration provided.

I am getting the issue in the attached image. You should also find the proper opencore trace for debugging. I can do anything needed to help solve the issue :).

Best regards,
Luca.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 41
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-07 at 10.34.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-07 at 10.34.46.jpeg
    625.4 KB · Views: 27
  • opencore-2023-07-07-173123.txt
    256 KB · Views: 31
Back