Contribute
Register

[Solved] AMD Radeon 6850 Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AMD Radeon 6850 Freezing

I found the next named ATY_init and removed it. That was something I "tried" from another post but obviously didn't work. The "Quitting error is now gone.

I just booted and NovaBench to run once with its graphics test successfully. Computer froze on the second test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFTenfvP4uA

See video above of what happens (and my shaky hand at holding my iPhone to record :) )

cmutt78 said:
I found the next named ATY_init and removed it. That was something I "tried" from another post but obviously didn't work. The "Quitting error is now gone.

I just booted and NovaBench to run once with its graphics test successfully. Computer froze on the second test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFTenfvP4uA

See video above of what happens (and my shaky hand at holding my iPhone to record :) )

Without knowing what other things you've done or tried previously, my final suggestion is...... Reinstall lion from scratch. Maybe make a small partition and reinstall there in the first instance to leave a semi working system for editing, downloads etc.

Boot in from that new disk with the bulrushes etc and see how you go. Off to work now . Cheers.

Alright, going to put this on hold for a few days since I don't want to purge my drive. I just ordered a "Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)" to host my OS on. When I get that will do a fresh install and post an update.

Once again, ty much for walking through this with me!

SSD Drive is in and reinstall is complete. I am happy to say that Bulrushes is working with the supplied config. I ran cinebench and got the following results:

cinebench opengl.tiff

cinebench cpu.tiff

I have not had any freezing as of yet but I am down to one monitor until my DVI to HDMI cable comes in.

If I get anymore funkiness I'll post.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Attachments

• cinebench opengl.tiff
    253.3 KB · Views: 142
  • cinebench cpu.tiff
    251.7 KB · Views: 138

cmutt78 said:
SSD Drive is in and reinstall is complete. I am happy to say that Bulrushes is working with the supplied config.

I have not had any freezing as of yet but I am down to one monitor until my DVI to HDMI cable comes in.

If I get anymore funkiness I'll post.

Thanks again for all of your help!

I'll almost guarantee that you don't have any more graphics funkiness now! You should change the name of the original post to (Solved) when you have your dual monitor setup working!

All the best and help a noob today!

redshift82r said:
Without knowing what other things you've done or tried previously, my final suggestion is...... Reinstall lion from scratch. Maybe make a small partition and reinstall there in the first instance to leave a semi working system for editing, downloads etc.

Boot in from that new disk with the bulrushes etc and see how you go. Off to work now . Cheers.

Just wanted to throw in a thanks for this post. I've been geeking out trying to get my Gigabyte 6850 working for a couple of days. When I did my initial install I think I messed up my bios settings a couple of times (when to enable pci video, etc) and that drove me to start checking boxes in multi beast. I managed to get a mostly working install but couldn't get video working.

I added a new small partition on my data drive and started over from scratch and low and behold, the video card did indeed work out of the box. now that sound and usb are working I'm stoked! I'm restoring my boot drive from that new partition right now. Already geek bench shows as huge increase (from 10000ish to 12000+) and that's booting from a slow data drive as opposed to an ssd, so I'll be stoked to see what I get when I'm running from the faster drive.

Anyhow, thanks much redshift82r, appreciate your posts.

shawndoggy said:
redshift82r said:

Just wanted to throw in a thanks for this post. I've been geeking out trying to get my Gigabyte 6850 working for a couple of days. When I did my initial install I think I messed up my bios settings a couple of times (when to enable pci video, etc) and that drove me to start checking boxes in multi beast. I managed to get a mostly working install but couldn't get video working.

I added a new small partition on my data drive and started over from scratch and low and behold, the video card did indeed work out of the box. now that sound and usb are working I'm stoked! I'm restoring my boot drive from that new partition right now. Already geek bench shows as huge increase (from 10000ish to 12000+) and that's booting from a slow data drive as opposed to an ssd, so I'll be stoked to see what I get when I'm running from the faster drive.

Anyhow, thanks much redshift82r, appreciate your posts.
Thanks! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back