Contribute
Register

[Solved] Advice on cloning from standard sata to ssd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it's not.. so I'm guessing I'll need to convert before cloning?
well its gonna be easier to clone then, you can convert it after clonning.

well its gonna be easier to clone then, you can convert it after clonning.

Final question (I think).. Will I need to convert in repair mode/disk utility before booting cloned (ssd) drive? I guess I'm just wondering if afps is preferred for ssd, or mandatory before booting? I'm thinking not mandatory, but you kind of had me wondering when you said "i hope your partition is in apfs format"

APFS is not mandatory, but it is recommended on SSDs. Just make sure you have the apfs.efi driver in your Clover installation before conversion, or you will have A Bad Time™.

Well, some lessons learned last night but I *think* I have things where they need to be after a long night.

First I wanted to get the conversion to afps done.. Made sure I had apfs.efi in the clover folders, rebooted in repair mode and converted.. Restarted and?? Can't boot.. Turns out for whatever reason the apfs.efi files must be the wrong version or something.. Fired up old HD with Yosemite and was able to mount current drive and copy the right apfs.efi files and boot back up- phew..

Next I d/l'd clonezilla and tried it.. Seems like a really cool/free program but you can't do a disk to disk copy when going to a smaller destination drive. I googled and read some recommendations for workarounds but none of them worked for me, oh well..

On to CCC- did clone to the SSD, tried the script listed in this thread to automatically copy over efi, etc but it wasn't working for me, I didn't troubleshoot that very long- just moved on.. (I did edit the script to take it out of test mode, still didn't work)

Ran clover configurator installer on the cloned SSD and rebooted.. nothing but blinking cursor, however I could hook up source drive, boot clover and then boot to the new SSD and get into MacOS. Tried unibeast / quick build clover install on the SSD, same thing, blinking cursor.. Also mounted both efi's with efi mounter and copied files to SSD efi partition.
What ended up working for me is installing legacy clover, which I don't really get because afik my system/board should definitely work w/ uefi.. After installing legacy clover and updating it to latest version, all is still good.. Hope this helps someone out there. A couple remaining questions..

1. Why won't clover work in uefi mode? Does it really matter?
2. Recovery mode/partition is no longer an option when booting from clover.. Did it not come over with CCC, or is it not supported on legacy clover? Any way to get it back?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I read that article and it confused me a bit.. There was a good tutorial for restoring the recovery, but then I read this.. Since I cloned a drive w/ apfs now I'm a little more confused..

CCC automatically manages the special "helper" volumes on APFS-formatted destinations
CCC will automatically create and update the Preboot and Recovery helper volumes on an APFS-formatted destination volume. The Recovery HD cloning tasks described below are not applicable to APFS-formatted destinations, CCC takes care of all of this for you without requiring any additional steps.

Am I processing that wrong, or should the recovery partition be there because CCC states that it does all the work for you if you're cloning APFS?

I ended up installing the 10.13.5 update and all of my partitions are now showing up at the clover boot.. Not exactly sure why, but it's fixed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back