Contribute
Register

[SOLVED]10.10.5 GA-X58 Sluggish after power outage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R-FH/FF
CPU
X5690
Graphics
GTX 970 +RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone been awhile...,
I had a power outage yesterday... AND now OSX is sluggish, and the HD light is extremely active. I even booted from my external backup, USB, and the system operates just as sluggish. I booted from Unibeast drive, still sluggish, mouse pointer all over the place. I repaired permissions, rebooted several times, checked BIOS... still sluggish/slow, almost unusable... I rebooted, nv-disbale=1, and the mouse seemed to work normal and/or better. So maybe its the graphics card (GTX970) or kext...? I booted into my Win10 drive, no problems, everything seems fine. Ahhh what gives??? I am a Mac guy, only use Windows to game. Any ideas from the community would be greatly appreciated.

*When I initially booted after the power outage, OSX froze half way through the boot screen. I had to restart the tower, which booted fine, but I knew something was up, because the boot screen was slow and boot bar graphically pulsated through the boot. i am at a real loss with this one. Especially since the backup is sluggish too, and Win10 is fine.... I wonder if hardware wise something is jack'd on the Mac side.

I initially thought maybe the SSD drive got F'd. However boot from external backup had the same sluggish results... I tried reloading the graphics driver too, no go.

Last edited:
I uninstalled nvida drivers, mouse/HD good. RE-installed, back to sluggish, mouse jumping around... This is a real bummer. Everything was working just fine. Built this Hack 5 years ago, first thing I cant fig out myself or with the help of searching these forums. : (

Since my back up boots strange too, I'm not sure a format/install would help... The boot up screens, Apple Logo, def move/load a little slower. I wonder if something is corrupt in the boot files? Bah~!

Last edited:
Try reset CMOS and then make the changes required for OS X, save&exit, continue boot to Windows.
Shut down.
Power on, boot to OS X and see if the problem still persists.

That was it! I just came back to say solved. Thanks @Going Bald So thankful that's all that it was, phew... I cannot thank this community enough!

HackMeoff has been going strong for 5 + now! Just a few upgrades here and there. Built a few for some friends too, thanks to y'all.

Last edited:
Happened again.. power outage. Same sluggish response after booted. I reset the CMOS/BIOS, re-tweaked, still sluggish this time... I tired a few times. I booted my backup drive, sluggish too... It's gotta be the BIOS then right?

Happened again.. power outage. Same sluggish response after booted. I reset the CMOS/BIOS, re-tweaked, still sluggish this time... I tired a few times. I booted my backup drive, sluggish too... It's gotta be the BIOS then right?
Invest in a good UPS that will last at least 15 minutes. This is enough time to save current projects, close all apps and shutdown in most cases. Learn to shut down instead of sleep the machine when not in use. It saves a lot of :banghead::banghead: trying to recover from a power outage.

Something I definitely thought of, just havent yet purchased...

Windows 7/10 boots just fine, everything works perfect. Cleared BIOS 10+ times now, set BIOS for OSX, boots, however OSX still sluggish. Sucks...

Thanks for the quick reply @Going Bald

Something I definitely thought of, just havent yet purchased...

Windows 7/10 boots just fine, everything works perfect. Cleared BIOS 10+ times now, set BIOS for OSX, boots, however OSX still sluggish. Sucks...

Thanks for the quick reply @Going Bald
This suggests it is not a hardware problem but within OS X itself.

This suggests it is not a hardware problem but within OS X itself.
So... I noticed after resetting the BIOS for OSX and reboot, the HD order would change. The boot would hang on verifying... I decided to disconnect ALL drives but OSX. Only one monitor, mouse, keyboard connected. Cleared CMOS. Set up for OSX. Rebooted..... YES!! All good, life is good. Back to recording! AND buy a UPS. BlackFriday is coming up, lol.

Thanks again @Going Bald and this amazing community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back