Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
****This solution is for those who have kernel panics booting into the Installer partition for lion and/or have a white screen with just a cursor/pinwheel when booting with -x into the installer partition.****

****DELETE SLEEP ENABLER KEXTS THEY WILL NOT WORK IN LION****

I was following Tony's guide and found myself not being able to boot into my Lion Installer partition. After tinkering around for a bit I found myself booting into a white screen when trying to boot into safe mode for the lion installer partition and kernal panics when booting normally or in verbose mode.

The solution I stumbled upon by sheer dumb luck in a final desperate attempt to install lion was using multibeast to install fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement kexts to the Lion Installer partition. To my surprise this actually worked and the installer partition was fully bootable for me.

I am unsure if anyone else has discovered this and if they have then credit to them. I hope this can save someone else the time that I lost doing many searches and sifting through countless guides.

STEPS:

Step 1: Follow Tony's guide for installing Lion and using xMove. BUT DO NOT REBOOT AND ATTEMPT AN INSTALL YET!
Tony's Guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmove-multibeast-install-os-x-107-lion.html

Step 2: After using xMove to prepare the installer partition use Multibeast to install Fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement kexts to the Lion Installer partition.(Additional kexts may be needed for your motherboard, I have only tested this with my own GA-P67A-UD3-B3 rev 1.0 F4)
***NOTE**** I tested this with the current Chimera build (877?) and this is what worked for me.

***NOTE*** During the install process your screen may go black (happened to me on a 6870) just stay calm and let the install continue, it will reboot on its own after it's completed.

Your Lion Installer partition should now be bootable if you were experiencing kernel panics trying to to boot into it. Enjoy Lion!

Alternate USB install method:

step 1: Format the usb into Mac OS Extended Journaled on a guid partition table.

step 2: Run the lion app and install/restart the update.

step 3: Run xMove but change the install location to the usb rather than a seperate partition. Don't reboot yet.

Step 4: Open multibeast and install(to the usb) the following options in the attached image.

Step 5: You should now be able to boot directly from the usb into the lion installer and have a backup to do clean installs from.

Attachments

• MB Options.png
    MB Options.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 457
Re: Solution KP/White Screen booting into Installer

wait should i check the system utilities?

EDIT** nvm i didnt check it and it worked :headbang:
thank you!! now i have lion! :)

btw the new login screen is awesome

Thanks!! I had already installed nullcpupowermanagement using mulitbeast, but was still getting a KP. Installing FakeSMC worked and got me to my next issue. When I select english at the first screen and hit next, I get "Mac OSX 7 can't be installed on this PC".

I'm sure it's from messing with the SMBios file when trying to fix the first issue. I've checked PlatformSupport.plist and added a supported platform to my SMBios list, but still a no go.

penandlim said:
wait should i check the system utilities?

EDIT** nvm i didnt check it and it worked :headbang:
thank you!! now i have lion! :)

btw the new login screen is awesome

Glad to know it worked for you.

gdtrfb24 said:
Thanks!! I had already installed nullcpupowermanagement using mulitbeast, but was still getting a KP. Installing FakeSMC worked and got me to my next issue. When I select english at the first screen and hit next, I get "Mac OSX 7 can't be installed on this PC".

I'm sure it's from messing with the SMBios file when trying to fix the first issue. I've checked PlatformSupport.plist and added a supported platform to my SMBios list, but still a no go.

Try changing your system definition to MacPro 3,1 with multibeast. I can't say for sure it would work but its the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for the solution! I have got the same issue!

But..if I try to use multibeast to install that kext, it does not make me choose the installer destination!!!!

..how can I do?!?

gemvac said:

But..if I try to use multibeast to install that kext, it does not make me choose the installer destination!!!!

..how can I do?!?

Is your Installer partition Mac OS Extened (Jounaled)?
Is the Installer partition mounted when you try to install the kexts?
Are owners enabled for the drive containing the partition?

EDIT: You can check all of this in Disk Utility.

I did the fakesmc and nullcpu install, and booting the installer partition no longer immediately KPs. Now it hangs on the apple screen with the spinner. If I use -v it hangs at "DSMOS has arrived". Any ideas?

tbotcotw said:
I did the fakesmc and nullcpu install, and booting the installer partition no longer immediately KPs. Now it hangs on the apple screen with the spinner. If I use -v it hangs at "DSMOS has arrived". Any ideas?

Try adding your dsdt/kexts from your /extra folder to the installer /extra folder.

Tested on a bootable usb stick with chimera installed. I was getting incompatibility errors then I used multibeast to with userdsdt(with dsdt for my board on my desktop) and 64-bit Aple Boot Screen from Customization-->Boot Options. After this it appears to have solved the problem of incompatibility errors with the lion installer.

Will report back results without dsdt and just 64-bit boot option with fakesmc and nullcpu

EDIT: dsdt is not needed, just the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist

com.apple.boot.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>Mac Pro</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>G88451235J4</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Both of these can be installed with multibeast.
smbios: customization-->system definitions---> MacPro 3,1
com.apple.boot.plist--> Install UserDSDT with any dsdt then delete the dsdt from the installer partition in the in the /extra folder. (can still boot fine if dsdt is the correct one for your motherboard.)

zaborgttm said:
gemvac said:

..how can I do?!?

Thanks for the quick answer!

The owner is set to no! How can I change it?

gemvac said:
zaborgttm said:
gemvac said:

..how can I do?!?

Thanks for the quick answer!

The owner is set to no! How can I change it?

I honestly can't answer that one. The best advice I can offer would be to make another partition with the format Mac OS Extended Journaled and with a guid partition table. Make sure the disk you are making the partition on has owners enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back