Graphics
Nvidia GTX 670 x 2
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a small SSD that has both Windows and OS X on it. Up until now it has been possible to run Snow Leopard off a 10 GB partition, but I always have to do some hacks to get installers to install apps to my 1TB storage drive (where my home folder is located).

Of course I want to upgrade to Lion. Short of wiping myself off my SSD (which would be a shame!) I could attempt to create a symbolic link to /Applications on my 1TB drive and see if the Mac App Store will download the 4GB there. I would also try to create the 8GB partition there. I suppose that's my only option for attempting an SSD install?

*Can I upgrade my Snow Leopard installation when the 8GB installer partition is on another drive?*

Actually, what if I use my Mac to install Lion, then create the DVD.. would that improve my plight any?

If I can't make the SSD work I guess I'll have to somehow copy my startup drive to my 1TB storage drive, and then maybe use the 10GB SSD partition to launch apps. If I can't do anything else with it, I wonder if there's a way to extend the NTFS partition into the remaining 10GB... ?

If you have an actual mac try this

-Install the latest multibeast on your hack and 10.6.8
-Remove the SSD and put it into your mac.
-Put the lion installer onto a USB or cd and boot the mac from the cd
-When the lion installer starts choose your partition on the ssd to update to lion
-Installer should work as per normal and update snow to lion.
-once completed put the SSD back into your hack and fingers crossed.

You may lose network or sound and need to reinstall them from multibeast

Source: Exactly how I updated mine 3 weeks ago.

If that has a chance of working, it seems like I could just put the /Installer volume on my storage volume and boot off that. I guess I just need to play around with it when I can. Thanks for your post!!

Create 2 20GB (or whatever size you need) partitions on your storage drive.

Clone your present Mac partition to 1 of the partitions using SuperDuper or CCC. Boot into the new clone and download Lion. Use xMove and that guide. Update the clone.

When you have it working correctly you can clone it to your SSD. I like an additional drive with duplicate clones, but doing it this way always gives you a backup to boot into. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back