Contribute
Register

snow leopard update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here is an update.

I reinstalled and did as suggested and ran the package update and multibeast and then rebooted and then installed the 10.6.8 combo upgrade I get gpt boot test test test and then an error.

When I reboot with the iboot disk the os tries to load but then I get a grey screen with a overlay telling me I have to hold down the power button to reboot and go thru the same process over and over.

Here is what I have done in the install maybe someone can tel me if I am missing something.

1. Boot with iboot disk
2. insert the snow leopard disk and hit f5 to refresh
3. select the Snow leopard install option
4. go thru the install process ie create partition with disk utility and then select partition to install.
5. wait 31 mins for install to finish
6. reboot with iboot cd
7. select the os that was installed
8. install the update package
9 then install the latest multibeast
10 reboot
11 install the mac combo update
12 reboot

I have also tried it the way multibeast recommends the only difference is if I install multibeast before the combo I get the option to continue without rebooting after the combo update if however I install the combo update first then I end up with the grey screen with the overlay advising me I have to hold down the power button to reboot the system and then I get that same screen on boot up.

I am selecting all the option on multibeast is this the right thing to be doing ?

thanks for the help

Check your steps again. After step 7, the following should be the correct steps .

8. install the update package (UPDATE HELPER)
9 REBOOT (with iboot and select the os that was installed)
10 install the mac combo 10.6.8 update + then install the latest multibeast
11 reboot the hard drive

I got mine to work, the update helper for Sandybridge was the step I forgot. Thank you! :)

ijhu said:
Check your steps again. After step 7, the following should be the correct steps .

8. install the update package (UPDATE HELPER)
9 REBOOT (with iboot and select the os that was installed)
10 install the mac combo 10.6.8 update + then install the latest multibeast
11 reboot the hard drive

Thanks for the info I tried it as recommended and here is what happens.

I get to the point that it tries to load the os I see the apple logo and then get a crach dump with a window advising me to hold the power button down to reboot. I wrote down some of what I can see but the rest is covered with the windows in a few languages advising to hold power down.

Here is a bit of the crash dump

Panic (CPU 0 Caller 0x2abf6a) Kernel trap at 0x0029a4b6, type 14=page fault,

registers:

CR0: 0x8001003b, CR2: 0x00000008, CR3: 0x00100000, CR4: 0x00040660
ERX: 0x00000000, EBX: 0x462f3000, ECX: 0x09000000, EDX: 0x00000000
CR2: 0x00000008, EBP: 0x54ffbdd8, ESI: 0x00000000, EDI: 0x462f3000

Error COde 0x00000000
Debugger called : <Panic>
Backtrace (CPU0), Frame : return address (4 Potential args on stack)

when I hold the power down and reboot the CPU ID changes by the caller error and kernel trap error numbers are the same. The register numbers do change however.

Also its occured to me that my motherboard is GA-H67ma-d2h the dstd database mentions h67ma-d2h-b3 I cant fint if these boards are the same and just different models depending on what country they were bought from this. I am assuming this isnt the problem otherwise I am assuming that I would not get the install to work to begin with if this was the issue.

Any advice on what the issue could be?

Thanks for the updates on procedure. I got mine to work on the third try (I didn't know to reboot after installing update helper). Could the instructions be updated somewhere to reflect this step? I think it would save some people a significant amount of time.

Has no one tried snow leopard install on this motherboard utilising the onboard graphics controller. I have tried this install over and over with no joy. Surely its something minor I am doing wrong that is preventing me from getting this working.

Thanks
ikhan42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back