Intel 4600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated on 3-9-2013

Thanks to the big guns on the site for creating the iBoot-Ivy-Bridge bootloader for running Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge components -- have to have that.

Used the iBoot-Ivy-Bridge CD (can this go on a USB flash? How?). Here's how it went:
Good things --
• Didn't have the required 4G RAM stick for this board, so used an 8G stick. Works fine but reports 4G in "About this Mac" -- haven't tried 16G yet and won't until I can get Mountain Lion downloaded. Update -- found out iBoot-I-B makes 4G the default.

Problems --
• Motherboard HD4000 graphics doesn't work, so am using Nvidia GT220-1GB. Update -- on-board graphics works with HDMI at fixed res -- pulled GT220.
• With GT220, got a KP on first boot, so had to turn off 64-bit graphics using GraphicsEnabler=No in the iBoot screen. That was the only modifier needed.
• Graphics res is 1024 x 768 only -- no other res available. This is really not good.
• No on-board audio (just some funny noises) so have hooked up iMic USB sound module. Surprised by that result.
• Motherboard Intel ethernet doesn't work. Am using TP-Link TL-3869 PCI card which runs natively in Sno Leo, just like it did in my older EP-45 system. Update -- found ethernet kext that works here: http://www.osx86.net/view/1085-atheros_ar8151.html
• App Store gives me the dreaded "unknown error" message when I try to get ML. Update -- Fixed with kext above.

Unknowns --
• USB 3 -- don't have any USB 3 devices to test with, but am guessing it may be iffy.
• Using the 3G SATA ports now -- will try the 6G ports later. Update -- 6G ports work fine.

••••• Need help, since there really is no "guide" for the iBoot-Ivy-Bridge for Snow Leopard install on the iBoot-Ivy-Bridge Guide page. Supposedly, the iBoot has what's needed for running Sno Leo with the Ivy Bridge i3, but it obviously doesn't for this board/CPU combo.

•• Need to get 64-bit graphics running with GT-220 -- any and all help appreciated.
•• Need solution to the ML download problem.
•• Want the iBoot on a flash drive.
•• Want to use the on-board graphics.

1. go ahead and install all of your RAM - iBoot restricts RAM via code.

2. HD4000 works fine with DVI or HDMI - forget VGA

After first install run MultiBeast user DSDT/DSDT Free, select the atheros LAN and the Mini6,1 system definition
You still need iBoot IB to boot with as the SL kernel does not support the Ivy Bridge platform.
Update to 10.6.8 and download ML app, create UniBeast USB installer, Install Mountain Lion.

1. go ahead and install all of your RAM - iBoot restricts RAM via code.

2. HD4000 works fine with DVI or HDMI - forget VGA

After first install run MultiBeast user DSDT/DSDT Free, select the atheros LAN and the Mini6,1 system definition
You still need iBoot IB to boot with as the SL kernel does not support the Ivy Bridge platform.
Update to 10.6.8 and download ML app, create UniBeast USB installer, Install Mountain Lion.

Rich1940

As GoingBald has stated above this will work
Do need to make sure that you remove the GFX card.
You may need to change certain BIOS settings related to the External GFX card that was auto-detected upon install and changed the BIOS settings for video. ( when removed they dont always refert)

Make sure that your Video Ram setting is for 64 meg - don't need more. Also that the default Video is pointing to the internal gfx of the CPU and not both or external when it had the card installed.

Also you will need to use a command line startup switch " -v PCIRootUID=0"

Do make sure you use a DVI or HDMI cable / port on the display for best video.

You will need to download the Apple 10.6.8 combo update file and apply that to your system - will need to use the iBoot Ivy Bridge CD as your boot device - dont use multibeast -dont worry about sound only network. we want to connect to the Apple App store and download the stub file for 10.8 so you can make and then install the UNIBeast thumbdrive.

this should get you to the desktop - good luck.

Thanks, Guys, really appreciate the help. I've been running 10.6.8 for a long time, so don't need to update.

I pulled the GT220 card, connected a HDMI cable and on-board video is working -- but as before only at 1024 x 768. I will check the BIOS settings, but I think they are what you recommend. I tried the graphicsenabler switch both ways -- no diff -- same fixed res, no options.

• 6GB SATA is fine, no KP, and boot is amazingly fast.
• 16G RAM, no KP.
• Don't seem to need the PCIRootUID=0 to boot, no KP.

•••• So, which version of Multibeast has the kexts I need? Do I use the ML version, the Lion version, or will any recent MB have what's needed?

Thanks, Guys, really appreciate the help. I've been running 10.6.8 for a long time, so don't need to update.

I pulled the GT220 card, connected a HDMI cable and on-board video is working -- but as before only at 1024 x 768. I will check the BIOS settings, but I think they are what you recommend. I tried the graphicsenabler switch both ways -- no diff -- same fixed res, no options.

• 6GB SATA is fine, no KP, and boot is amazingly fast.
• 16G RAM, no KP.
• Don't seem to need the PCIRootUID=0 to boot, no KP.

•••• So, which version of Multibeast has the kexts I need? Do I use the ML version, the Lion version, or will any recent MB have what's needed?

rich1940

the 1024x768 resolution you are getting is the default
you could try to specify the gfx resolution in the command line to a higher res. Google it

I am sure that you have some software updates from Apple once this is done - for iTunes and the Browser

update the browser

If your are on 10.6.8 can you login to the Apple App store w the browser.

@totenkopf4

Used MultiBeast ML to try to change system type to Macmini 6,1. No good -- still reports as MacPro 3,1. Can't get App store to let me download ML -- gives the "unknown error" fault after accepting my request to buy.

I'll try Multibeast again to see if that works.

Update -- no luck. I'm not sure where the Mac type ID is coming from -- not from iBoot-I-B since it can't know my type. Not sure why the type isn't changing. Need help on this.

I'm not sure where the Mac type ID is coming from -- not from iBoot-I-B since it can't know my type. Not sure why the type isn't changing. Need help on this.

MacPro 3,1 is default loaded from iBoot Ivy Bridge.

Make sure your network is connected en0 for app store access.

I tried installing the Atheros network kext using Multibeast for Mountain Lion, but the onboard ethernet does not work. My TPLink 3869 vard does work natively, but the App store still gives me an error message. Is the Atheros kext losdable in another way?

I tried installing the Atheros network kext using Multibeast for Mountain Lion, but the onboard ethernet does not work. My TPLink 3869 vard does work natively, but the App store still gives me an error message. Is the Atheros kext losdable in another way?

rich1940

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#ov

that is the motherboard you have - yes

also what hardware version of the MB is it V 1 or V 1.1

The Iboot Ivy Bridge cd was modified so that it could work w both versions so you should have or make a cd from the latest file.

Can you use a network cable and connect it to the router @ home - this may require you to move the hardware when you have it ready.

If you can I do suggest this to connect to the net and see if it works w the App store.

I would not use any wifi etc at this time - as the eth0 connection is what Apple is looking for to log you into the app store.

@deadhead4 -- Yes that is the board, mine is Rev 1.0, even though I just bought it. I am connected to the router directly. I downloaded iBoot-I-B a couple of days ago, so I assume it is latest version. I suppose it is possible that the ethernet port is malfunctioning, but I don't have a way to know that. I can't find any indication that the Atheros driver is loaded or running -- it may be in the IONetworkingFamily bundle as a plug-in; I don't think iBoot-I-B installs it. I can't see that MultiBeast ML installed it either, but I can't see into the bundle.

Kind of running out of gas here. Any further suggestions appreciated.....

Update -- thought I'd try to use KextBeast to put an Atheros driver in, but after running KextBeast.pkg and installing, it is nowhere to be found -- simply vanished. This gets stranger all the time.

Update​ -- Ethernet port works fine in Windows XP. So this is a driver problem. I tried using kext utility 2.5.1 to install an Atheros Sno Leo driver for the AR8161 chipset and got a KP on reboot.I'll trya gain using an Atheros kext for ML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back