Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K
Graphics
GTX 1060
First time poster here ... I didn't even know what a kext was when I started this project but still managed to get my hackintosh up and running thanks to this forum.

I updated to 10.6.8 but now it's much slower to boot. In verbose mode, I see that it's hanging at "SNB framebuffer did not show up". I figured out that this has something to do with the onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000 (I have an i5-2500K). I have a Radeon HD 6870 so I disabled the onboard graphics in BIOS by selecting "Enable If No Ext PEG" for the Onboard VGA setting. But this created a new problem -- the display would not wake from sleep. The board, fans, etc. seem to wake normally, it's just that the monitor stays black.

Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this SNB framebuffer hang up? Thanks.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3.

marten48 said:
First time poster here ... I didn't even know what a kext was when I started this project but still managed to get my hackintosh up and running thanks to this forum.

I updated to 10.6.8 but now it's much slower to boot. In verbose mode, I see that it's hanging at "SNB framebuffer did not show up". I figured out that this has something to do with the onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000 (I have an i5-2500K). I have a Radeon HD 6870 so I disabled the onboard graphics in BIOS by selecting "Enable If No Ext PEG" for the Onboard VGA setting. But this created a new problem -- the display would not wake from sleep. The board, fans, etc. seem to wake normally, it's just that the monitor stays black.

Anyone have any ideas about what to do about this SNB framebuffer hang up? Thanks.

I too have an Intel HD3000 exempt mines fully working, I used to have the exact same problem as you mate. It can be a mixture of things tbh like modifying your Info.plist in the AppleIntelHD kexts to match your Vendor ID (mines 0116) you can find the vendor ID is System Info. But many as well as me will advise to update to Lion, Graphics along with the New Chimera seem to get much better success rates. Check your Vendor ID in system info (Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info) then click Graphics and you will see what Vendor ID your graphics is there. If you have 0116 then look at one of the posts I created and I uploaded all of my Intel HD kexts which I know are configured correctly because I have full resolutions, multiple outputs HDMI and VGA as well as Full QE/CI Acceleration.

May be a quick fix

Hope it helps

SweetzDesigns_Mac said:
marten48 said:

I too have an Intel HD3000 exempt mines fully working, I used to have the exact same problem as you mate. It can be a mixture of things tbh like modifying your Info.plist in the AppleIntelHD kexts to match your Vendor ID (mines 0116) you can find the vendor ID is System Info. But many as well as me will advise to update to Lion, Graphics along with the New Chimera seem to get much better success rates. Check your Vendor ID in system info (Apple Logo > About This Mac > More Info) then click Graphics and you will see what Vendor ID your graphics is there. If you have 0116 then look at one of the posts I created and I uploaded all of my Intel HD kexts which I know are configured correctly because I have full resolutions, multiple outputs HDMI and VGA as well as Full QE/CI Acceleration.

May be a quick fix

Hope it helps

Thanks for the reply.

I actually have a discrete graphics card (a Radeon HD 6870) installed --- interesting then that I'm getting the same error message that you were getting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what's happening is that it's looking for the onboard graphics during the boot process and that's why I'm getting that message. I'm wondering if there's a way to get it to ignore the onboard graphics, because it's slowing down my startup time considerably. Well at least the computer works -- it could be worse : ).

I'm having the same problem since 10.6.8. SNB Framebuffer error and preceded by an Applecpupowermanagement error. Not sure how to fix?

Thanks.

I have this too, I have basically the Micro version of the OP's board & an i7-2600K. It just flies booting from my SSD until I apply the updatehelper & combo update, then apparently the sandybridge stuff actually gets in the way.

Anyone any ideas? I dual boot so it's kinda a bummer that OSX takes so much longer to boot than Windows. Is this down to the whole GPU switching thing? A bit like Lucid's Virtu stuff, getting the output from either GPU through the same display connector?

Yeah, disabling the onboard VGA in BIOS (by selecting Enable If No Ext PEG) fixes the boot time problem for me too. But it causes a new problem -- the display won't wake from sleep properly. When I wake the computer from sleep, the fans start up, but the screen stays black. I'm not sure why this is. It's as if somehow the computer needs the onboard VGA to be at least nominally on to wake from sleep properly.

Does anyone have a solution to this? As things stand, I'm left having to tolerate the slow boot time, because the solution causes a worse problem. Another option would be to "downgrade" from 10.6.8.

marten48 said:
Yeah, disabling the onboard VGA in BIOS (by selecting Enable If No Ext PEG) fixes the boot time problem for me too. But it causes a new problem -- the display won't wake from sleep properly. When I wake the computer from sleep, the fans start up, but the screen stays black. I'm not sure why this is. It's as if somehow the computer needs the onboard VGA to be at least nominally on to wake from sleep properly.

UPDATE

I have/had exactly the same issue.

Sleep is working for me now with Onboard Graphics set to [Enable If No Ext PEG]

I just ran MultiBeast again with these settings:

• ? User DSDT Install
    [list:eujsd4oi]? System Utilities
    [list:eujsd4oi]? Rebuild Caches
    ? Repair Permissions
[/list:u:eujsd4oi]
- Customization
  • - Boot Options
    [list:eujsd4oi]? 64-bit Apple Boot Screen
    ? PCI Root ID Fix
[/list:u:eujsd4oi][/list:u:eujsd4oi]

Update #2 :banghead:

I had an issue with my volume keys and eject key not working on my Apple Extended USB keyboard. I only noticed this after futzing with MultiBeast in the first update.

So I deleted my Extra Folder and started over. This time I only used:
  • [list:eujsd4oi]UserDSDT
    System Utilities
    ALC8xxHDA
    AppleHDA Rollback
    64-bit Apple Boot Screen
    Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
[/list:u:eujsd4oi]

Still had a keyboard issue, but Sleep is working perfectly even with Onboard Graphics set to [Enable If No Ext PEG]. :crazy:

I looked further into the keyboard issue and traced it back to USBOverdrive, which I forgot I had installed. It was overriding the default keyboard settings. Unchecked a few checkboxes and all is well again. o_O

ffk said:
Update #2 :banghead:

I had an issue with my volume keys and eject key not working on my Apple Extended USB keyboard. I only noticed this after futzing with MultiBeast in the first update.

So I deleted my Extra Folder and started over. This time I only used:
  • [list:38et1xpq]UserDSDT
    System Utilities
    ALC8xxHDA
    AppleHDA Rollback
    64-bit Apple Boot Screen
    Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
[/list:u:38et1xpq]

Still had a keyboard issue, but Sleep is working perfectly even with Onboard Graphics set to [Enable If No Ext PEG]. :crazy:

I looked further into the keyboard issue and traced it back to USBOverdrive, which I forgot I had installed. It was overriding the default keyboard settings. Unchecked a few checkboxes and all is well again. o_O

This didn't work for me. I deleted my Extra folder and ran MultiBeast with the same settings that you used, but the sleep problem was still there. There must be something else wrong with my system.

I've also been getting infrequent, unpredictable freezes where I can still move the cursor and iTunes still plays but I can't click anything. I wonder if this is related. It hasn't happened yet since I re-ran MultiBeast. I'm hoping this might have fixed it.

marten48 said:
This didn't work for me. I deleted my Extra folder and ran MultiBeast with the same settings that you used, but the sleep problem was still there. There must be something else wrong with my system.

I've also been getting infrequent, unpredictable freezes where I can still move the cursor and iTunes still plays but I can't click anything. I wonder if this is related. It hasn't happened yet since I re-ran MultiBeast. I'm hoping this might have fixed it.

• I was having freezeups when playing quicktime files. The entire computer would be unresponsive but audio would still work.

If I press command+option+esc to get Force Quit window to appear and press return a few times it would eventually force quit quicktime and all would be fine again. (It did take quite some time to get the window to appear and force quit the app.)

I traced my problem to Graphics Enabler being set to Yes when I used the DSDT for my motherboard. If I set Graphics Enabler to No I do not experience the freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back