Contribute
Register

Simple NVIDIA 4xx Install Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
it look's like the gts 450 is a good buy

Ok, I have my Gainward GTX470 up running with the new drivers and
PCIRootUID in boot plist. System information is not recognizing the chip
or memory but all resolutions are working and OpenGL works too.

Cinebench:
OpenGL 25,9fps
CPU 3,59

Guess the fps is a bit low, but I'll have a look at this again later. :)

greets
Smoothny

MacMan said:
  • 1. Boot and Install Snow Leopard using iBoot-GE

I can't get past step 1. I boot with iBoot-GE, replace it with my Retail 10.6.3 DVD, hit F5, enter, the grey Apple comes up, the wheel spins for a while. Then, the screen gets dark and a message saying I have to restart the system comes up. This happens every time so I can't get to the install screen. From what I gather, this error is caused by an unidentified CPU. I have an Intel Core i7 980X. I've tried Busratio=25 with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than take out the 980X and replace it with my old i7 920!)?

toml_12953 said:
MacMan said:
  • 1. Boot and Install Snow Leopard using iBoot-GE

I can't get past step 1. I boot with iBoot-GE, replace it with my Retail 10.6.3 DVD, hit F5, enter, the grey Apple comes up, the wheel spins for a while. Then, the screen gets dark and a message saying I have to restart the system comes up. This happens every time so I can't get to the install screen. From what I gather, this error is caused by an unidentified CPU. I have an Intel Core i7 980X. I've tried Busratio=25 with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than take out the 980X and replace it with my old i7 920!)?

I had the exact same issue with my setup with iBoot-GE, and I believe it's gpu related (I have a eVGA GTX460). What worked for me was ditching the iBoot-GE and using iBoot 2.5.2 in safe mode (type -x before hitting enter). Install screen came up fine after that. When you need to restart, make sure to use safe mode again. Then install the combo update & Multibeast. It should then be fine without safe mode.

phenom7 said:
Mairos said:
I've got a GTS 450 and my OS X is running quiet nicely, including Dual View with my FullHD TV.

I booted with the legacy iBoot, installed SL 10.6.3 via an original Retail DVD on a clean HDD, booted again with the legacy iBoot, installed the 10.6.5 update, MultiBeast, the NVIDIA update and that's it.

But because of the annoying system instability that some others seem to experience too, it's impossible to use SL productively at the moment.

At first, my system locked up randomly after a couple of minutes, sometimes with the message to switch off the computer manually and sometimes it just freezed. Additionally I was able to force it to freeze by simply opening the Control Center and waiting 5-10 seconds. Then I read that setting suspend mode to S1 may fix it. Well, it didn't fix the random lock-ups, but at least I am now able to open the Control Center without provoking it.

So it seems, that the driver is very instable at the moment and I reeeeally hope that it gets fixed soon! :)

Same here with my GTX 460 (768MB). I'll get random freezes at times where I'll have to manually reboot my system. Everything is working fine. System Profiler recognizes my card, Cinebench scores are around 28-29. I just can't figure out why I'm getting these random panics. If it is indeed the driver, not sure what I can do at this point.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I have an EVGA GTX 460 (768mb). I'll use OSX for 30-90 minutes doing something relatively mundane (chrome, maybe some itunes, reading a pdf) and the system will crash. I installed the combo update, removed the NVEnable.kext so the system would recognize the card, I edited the apple power management for macpro4,1 so I would get decent (>20) fps under cinebench.

Does anyone where where I can start looking around the system to try and diagnose this problem, for myself and others? I've been checking the system logs after each reboot, and it doesn't give any indication as to why the computer restarted.

I'm running an EVGA GTS 450 SC 1GB that finally started working after I deleted nvenabler and just using enabler=yes.

However, I'm noticing that everything in OSX seems sluggish (Windows is normal). I switched to MacPro3,1 since that normally has fixed performance issues with other cards, but dashboard, expose, etc. are all choppy. When I attempt to run SC2, the game freezes at loading screen (strangely, mouse still moves around).

Anyone run into this problem or know of any other tweaks that might fix this?

From what I've read, the reason it is sluggish is because power management underclocks the card to put it into power saving mod, but never tells it to leave (at least this is the case for the gtx460). Changing your smbios to MacPro3,1 disables the powermanagement, allowing the card to run at its full potential. The way I fixed this was to go to S/L/E AppleGraphicsPowerManagement and change the plist.info, changing

Vendor10deDeviceXXXX
(can't remember what the XXXX were)
to

Vendor10deDevice0e22

This is what to do for the gtx460, there is a different code for the gts450. Of course, my system is crashing once an hour now, and it could very possibly be due to this.

Hi all

Success here installing SL following tonymac´s bog tutorial. Well, some minor issues fixed (keyboard and mouse hang after reboot, clock crazy in windows 7...) but, as other users, i have random crashes. By the way, i have choosed smbios 5.1, should i change to 3.1?

Anyway, thank you very much for your support mates. Hope it gets fixed soon

I had a lockup this morning. Here is that weird pixel area in the upper left of my screen. This what others are seeing?

Attachments

• 2010-12-01_07-30-31_369.jpg
    2010-12-01_07-30-31_369.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
Hey guys,

i am trying to install OSX SL on my system, i have the GTX 460, but after i change the Boot CD to the Sl DVD, nothing happens. I did change the BIOS settings.

My System is

GA-P43T-ES3G
Core2Duo
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 DDR 5 1GB
8GB Ram but only 4GB for installation
SATA Drive 1TB

But only IDE DVD, i tried to load SL by an USB-Flashdrive, as well as the IDE drive from USB but this didnt work.

Can anybody help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back