Contribute
Register

Simple NVIDIA 4xx Install Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
yayagu1 said:
Well, I switched Zotac GTX 460 (seems that a lot of people struggle with Zotacs) for Inno3D GTX 470, and with a bit of twinkering (the simple Nvidia driver update and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in bios.plist) ... tada! Although no CUDA support (the box has a big CUDA logo though) [http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223244] so <:(

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an eVGA GXT470, and it's working fine, except for CUDA. i used GraphicsEnabler=Yes, then i was stuck at 1280x800 res. I installed the Tonymacx96 Nvidia update 2.0 and reboot, everything works fine... well, minus the lack of CUDA previously mentioned.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 8.16.41 PM.JPEG
    Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 8.16.41 PM.JPEG
    159.6 KB · Views: 309
oh, wow... 1 reboot later and i suddenly have CUDA (though i can't get any packets from BOINC, maybe becuae it's CUDA 4 now??)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 8.37.46 PM.JPEG
    Screen shot 2011-06-15 at 8.37.46 PM.JPEG
    73.9 KB · Views: 322
Are any of you running a 460 FTW Card? If so any problems? My comp keeps freezing and I want to make sure its not "fermi-freeze"

Kaneda13 said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I have an eVGA GXT470, and it's working fine, except for CUDA. i used GraphicsEnabler=Yes, then i was stuck at 1280x800 res. I installed the Tonymacx96 Nvidia update 2.0 and reboot, everything works fine... well, minus the lack of CUDA previously mentioned.

ah man :( how did you get that far?
i cant even get full res yet let alone CUDA. got same drivers as you.
am i missing something.

snoop85 said:
Kaneda13 said:

ah man :( how did you get that far?
i cant even get full res yet let alone CUDA. got same drivers as you.
am i missing something.

i did exactly what i posted. i was up and running with my GTX260, and i swapped in my GTX470. i don't have any injectors running, and i'm using an old version of multibeast (3.2). when i booted up i was stuck at 1280x800 and my second monitor didn't work, no QE either. i ran this, and when i rebooted, i had 2 monitors and full resolution control. i checked CUDA and it said there was an update, so i updated to 4.0.17. i ran CUDA-Z and it said no CUDA found. so i rebooted and still said nothing. a while later i rebooted again and then it said found was found and working (didn't do anything related to the video card during that time). however, i can't get any CUDA work to work on with BOINC.

Kaneda13 said:
i did exactly what i posted. i was up and running with my GTX260, and i swapped in my GTX470. i don't have any injectors running, and i'm using an old version of multibeast (3.2). when i booted up i was stuck at 1280x800 and my second monitor didn't work, no QE either. i ran this, and when i rebooted, i had 2 monitors and full resolution control. i checked CUDA and it said there was an update, so i updated to 4.0.17. i ran CUDA-Z and it said no CUDA found. so i rebooted and still said nothing. a while later i rebooted again and then it said found was found and working (didn't do anything related to the video card during that time). however, i can't get any CUDA work to work on with BOINC.

will try that update file again. tho i have done a number times already, without anyluck.
thanks

BY GOD I'VE DONE IT! After 2hrs each day for the last 5days!!!!

It seems in the bios, i had to select PCIE under bootup options. I had to select the 2nd slot, as thats where my card is installed.

I can finally confirm have CUDA and full resolution working using CUDA 4.0.17. taking into account all of the tips mentioned into forum (not only this topic)

Thanks to all

snoop85 said:
BY GOD I'VE DONE IT! After 2hrs each day for the last 5days!!!!

It seems in the bios, i had to select PCIE under bootup options. I had to select the 2nd slot, as thats where my card is installed.

I can finally confirm have CUDA and full resolution working using CUDA 4.0.17. taking into account all of the tips mentioned into forum (not only this topic)

Thanks to all

Are you able to actually do CUDA work, or just going on what CUDA-Z says?

Kaneda13 said:
Are you able to actually do CUDA work, or just going on what CUDA-Z says?

What exactly you mean 'do cuda work'? It shows up in PremPro CS5. I have never used CUDA before so wouldn't know what/how it works. This is my 1st build and 1st time using osx for proper video editing.

If they things that i can test for please let me know and i will test them. Then report back.

snoop85 said:
What exactly you mean 'do cuda work'? It shows up in PremPro CS5. I have never used CUDA before so wouldn't know what/how it works. This is my 1st build and 1st time using osx for proper video editing.

If they things that i can test for please let me know and i will test them. Then report back.

see if this explains it a bit: http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprot...y-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html
and this: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html
then this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223244

somehow my Inno3D GTX 470 reports no CUDA support :(
Texture memory: 0
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 OpenGL Engine
Version string: 2.1 NVIDIA-1.6.34

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
Didn't find any devices that support CUDA.
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7
It does work in Windows Premiere, so I hope it is somehow mistaken :) gotta try
CUDA-Z says CUDA not found :(

BTW I tried Zotac GTX 460 before and it did NOT work for me at all. A lot of people report that Zotac cards simply do not work. I switched to Inno3D GTX 470 and it seems to work fine, except CUDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back