Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently picked up the GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 "Batmobile" video card and have perfected a very simple installation method using MultiBeast 2.1.4 2.3.0. All of the changes in this new version are specifically for making ATI 5xxx installation easier.

The changes made were:
  • 1) Renaming "ATY_Init" to "ATY_Init Uakari" to reflect that the default ATY_Init from netkas is configured to use the Uakari Frame Buffer.
    2) Adding "ATY_Init Vervet" which uses the Vervet Frame Buffer for ATI 57xx cards only.
    3) Renaming "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13" to "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)" to provide the full version information for the drivers from the iMac Update. FYI, I added to it every ATI 5xxx device id from the AMD Developer site.
    4) Removed "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.10" which was older version of drivers from the Mac Mini Update.
    5) Removed Verbose Options from com.apple.boot.plist and replaced them with
    [list:1n36ucxt]- "32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
    - "64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
[/list:u:1n36ucxt]

So what does this all mean. I found that the "Batmobile" wouldn't work with the Uakari Frame Buffer. So I created "ATY_Init Vervet" by editing the Info.plist in the latest ATY_Init from netkas and for the 5700 Series only, I replaced Uakari with Vervet. With this new ATY_Init and the drivers from the iMac Update, the "Batmobile" works great. Both DVI ports work separately or together with no restrictions. I don't have a Displayport monitor so I can test that and haven't had a chance to test the HDMI port. The only downside to this method is that ATY_Init is a 32-bit only kext and GraphicsEnabler needs to be set to No. So now you know why I made these changes to MultiBeast.

With these changes, you can now configure everything to support a 5xxx card in a single pass.

So here are the steps I used on a freshly installed system:

• 1.) Boot using iBoot (NOTE: Previously was iBoot-ATI-5xxx-3)
    2.) Install OS X
    3.) Reboot using iBoot
    4.) Remove iBoot ATI disc.
    5.) Launch MultiBeast but don't let the installer run
    6.) Launch and install Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo), but don't click restart when it completes
    7.) Launch and install Snow Leopard Graphics Update, but don't click restart when it completes
    8.) Run MultiBeast with the following options:
    [list:1n36ucxt]- UserDSDT
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Audio -> LegacyHDA -> ALC889 (or the codec for your board)
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> Enablers -> ATY_Init Vervet
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Network -> Realtek Gigabyte Ethernet -> RealtekR1000SL
    - Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No
9.) Close MultiBeast and click restart on Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update (Combo) or Snow Leopard Graphics Update
10.) Enjoy your Radeon HD 57/58/59xx [/list:u:1n36ucxt]

Previous steps:
  • 1) Boot using iBoot ATI-5xxx, I used -2.
    2) Installed the 10.6.4 Combo Update (I always do this instead of using the delta updates)
    3) In MultiBeast I chose:
    [list:1n36ucxt]- UserDSDT
    - System Utilities
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Audio -> LegacyHDA -> ALC885/889a
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> ATI -> ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Network -> Realtek Gigabyte Ethernet -> RealtekR1000SL
4) Reboot after installation completes[/list:u:1n36ucxt]

That's it, no 2 step installation or deleting kexts from /System/Library/Extensions.

This method is only for the 57xx, 58xx and 59xx cards as there is no support in ATY_Init for the 56xx cards.

:headbang:

Re: Simple ATI Radeon HD 5xxx Installation

MacMan said:
I recently picked up the GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 "Batmobile" video card and have perfected a very simple installation method using MultiBeast 2.1.4. All of the changes in this new version are specifically for making ATI 5xxx installation easy.

The changes made were:
  • 1) Renaming "ATY_Init" to "ATY_Init Uakari" to reflect that the default ATY_Init from netkas is configured to use the Uakari Frame Buffer.
    2) Adding "ATY_Init Vervet" which uses the Vervet Frame Buffer for ATI 57xx cards only.
    3) Renaming "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13" to "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)" to provide the full version information for the drivers from the iMac Update. FYI, I added to it every ATI 5xxx device id from the AMD Developer site.
    4) Removed "ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.10" which was older version of drivers from the Mac Mini Update.
    [list:3u1xqghz]- "32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
[/list:u:3u1xqghz]

So what does this all mean. I found that the "Batmobile" wouldn't work with the Uakari Frame Buffer. So I created "ATY_Init Vervet" by editing the Info.plist in the latest ATY_Init from netkas and for the 5700 Series only, I replaced Uakari with Vervet. With this new ATY_Init and the drivers from the iMac Update, the "Batmobile" works great. Both DVI ports work separately or together with no restrictions. I don't have a Displayport monitor so I can test that and haven't had a chance to test the HDMI port. The only downside to this method is that ATY_Init is a 32-bit only kext and GraphicsEnabler needs to be set to No. So now you know why I made these changes to MultiBeast.

With these changes, you can now configure everything to support a 5xxx card in a single pass.

2) Installed the 10.6.4 Combo Update (I always do this instead of using the delta updates)
    [list:3u1xqghz]- UserDSDT
    - System Utilities
    - Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> ATI -> ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)
4) Reboot after installation completes[/list:u:3u1xqghz]

That's it, no 2 step installation or deleting kexts from /System/Library/Extensions.

This method is only for the 57xx, 58xx and 59xx cards as there is no support in ATY_Init for the 56xx cards.

We will work on adding 64-bit support. So stay tuned and enjoy.
Hi MacMan,

I asked about this in another thread - so thanks it is a pity about the 64bit, however saw this today as it might be that the ATY_Init might be the problem.

Have a look here somebody claims to have got a 5970 working in 64bit.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=872

I followed your guide using multibeast and got a R5770 MSI Hawk sort of working via HDMI only with 1920/1080.

tonyd said:
MacMan said:
I recently picked up the GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 "Batmobile" video card and have perfected a very simple installation method using MultiBeast 2.1.4. All of the changes in this new version are specifically for making ATI 5xxx installation easy.

The changes made were:
    [list:c36p6cc3]- "32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
[/list:u:c36p6cc3]

[list:c36p6cc3]- UserDSDT
    - System Utilities
4) Reboot after installation completes[/list:u:c36p6cc3]

Hi MacMan,

I asked about this in another thread - so thanks it is a pity about the 64bit, however saw this today as it might be that the ATY_Init might be the problem.

Have a look here somebody claims to have got a 5970 working in 64bit.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=872

I followed your guide using multibeast and got a R5770 MSI Hawk sort of working via HDMI only with 1920/1080.
I tried it with my 5770 with no luck. I am trying to get the source for the modifications so it can be added to the newest version of Chameleon.

MacMan said:

The changes made were:
    [list:2yd1c9iw]- "32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
[/list:u:2yd1c9iw]

[list:2yd1c9iw]- UserDSDT
    - System Utilities
4) Reboot after installation completes[/list:u:2yd1c9iw]

Just to confirm, was this using a X58 board as per the Mac Pro build?

I think this has tipped me over to buying all the Mac Pro build - if it's on that build

Also, your guide says User DSDT and then a lot of options, do we need ur DSDT for the card to work or they only for mobo installation?

notshy said:
MacMan said:

The changes made were:
    [list:1sli2eqs]- "32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No" to Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist
[/list:u:1sli2eqs]

[list:1sli2eqs]- UserDSDT
    - System Utilities
4) Reboot after installation completes[/list:u:1sli2eqs]

Just to confirm, was this using a X58 board as per the Mac Pro build?

I think this has tipped me over to buying all the Mac Pro build - if it's on that build
I did this on the P55-UD5 and H55M-S2H. I will be doing this on a X58 in the next day or 2 and I am confident it will work the same.

notshy said:
Also, your guide says User DSDT and then a lot of options, do we need ur DSDT for the card to work or they only for mobo installation?
This was just to show you can do everything at initial installation. I don't think you would need a DSDT for it to work.

If you have a running system and want to add a 5xxx card you can just use the following options in MultiBeast 2.1.4:

• Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics Enablers -> ATY_Init Vervet or ATY_Init Uakari
    Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> ATI -> ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)
    Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=No

That's all it would take.

MacMan said:
notshy said:
This was just to show you can do everything at initial installation. I don't think you would need a DSDT for it to work.

If you have a running system and want to add a 5xxx card you can just use the following options in MultiBeast 2.1.4:

• Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics Enablers -> ATY_Init Vervet or ATY_Init Uakari
    Advanced Options -> Kexts -> Graphics -> ATI -> ATI 5xxx Support 1.6.18.13 (8408)

Hello Macman. Can you do me a favor and upload pictures of the settings of your BIOS when you did your install? Also, did you use a DSDT or did you go without one?

Hackintoshron said:
MacMan said:
notshy said:

Hello Macman. Can you do me a favor and upload pictures of the settings of your BIOS when you did your install? Also, did you use a DSDT or did you go without one?
My BIOS settings are identical to what Lnx2Mac has posted, so you can get the list from his post or blog.

I prefer using with a DSDT and used the ones from the database for both motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back