Contribute
Register

Shuttle SH67H3 Hackintosh Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non-DSDT ALC888 kext doesn't work (at least in 10.7 Lion). For the moment I've resigned myself to removing the VoodooHDA kext and using a cheap $5 usb sound card I got off eBay for sound because it doesn't buzz.

As for USB 3.0 (again, this is on Lion) the NEC/Renesas kext doesn't do anything more than show the USB controllers in System Information as well as list information of what is plugged in, like flash drive info. I can't actually use the flash drives when they're plugged in to USB 3.0 ports. It looks like the SH67H3 uses a ASMedia USB 3.0 controller and I'm not sure that there's a kext that's working with that controller.

jtholb said:
The non-DSDT ALC888 kext doesn't work (at least in 10.7 Lion). For the moment I've resigned myself to removing the VoodooHDA kext and using a cheap $5 usb sound card I got off eBay for sound because it doesn't buzz.

As for USB 3.0 (again, this is on Lion) the NEC/Renesas kext doesn't do anything more than show the USB controllers in System Information as well as list information of what is plugged in, like flash drive info. I can't actually use the flash drives when they're plugged in to USB 3.0 ports. It looks like the SH67H3 uses a ASMedia USB 3.0 controller and I'm not sure that there's a kext that's working with that controller.
I got the sound working using VoodooHDA 2.7.2 (don't know where this "2.7.3" version people are referring to is available from). Analog sound works 100%; although I haven't yet managed to enable the S/PDIF (toslink) optical port.

The background hiss is a very common problem and is caused by an input gain setting on the microphone port. It can be easily fixed by editing the plist (in /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist)

Code:
                       <key>MixerValues</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>iGain</key>
                                <string>0</string>
                                <key>iMix</key>
                                <string>0</string>
                        </dict>

I know the ASMedia USB3.0 ports can be made to work if flashed thru a Windows-only executable (Google it) and used with the Renesas drivers in MB, but you lose shutdown capability, which is why I am looking for a cleaner solution.

The Shuttle seems to be a good system to run OS X on, however I do experience some weird seemingly random kernel panics during bootup (which do not reference the audio drivers or ethernet rtl111e--it's something different each time). I've even had "blued" in one of the stacktraces (the Bluetooth daemon).

Never had it kernel panic once it has booted up, no matter the load or what I am running (*knock wood*)

Gordo74 said:
Can you do me a favor and measure how long you have for the graphics card in this case from front to back?

As far as your issues go, if you select the non-dsdt enabler of AC888 it should work.

Hey Gordo I have the answer for your graphics card question. According to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l00FV8bG0D4&feature=player_embedded at around 7 min he goes and checks how much space is left with one of his graphics cards.

Drag0nFly said:
jtholb said:

I got the sound working using VoodooHDA 2.7.2 (don't know where this "2.7.3" version people are referring to is available from). Analog sound works 100%; although I haven't yet managed to enable the S/PDIF (toslink) optical port.

The background hiss is a very common problem and is caused by an input gain setting on the microphone port. It can be easily fixed by editing the plist (in /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext/Contents/Info.plist)

Code:
                       <key>MixerValues</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>iGain</key>
                                <string>0</string>
                                <key>iMix</key>
                                <string>0</string>
                        </dict>

I know the ASMedia USB3.0 ports can be made to work if flashed thru a Windows-only executable (Google it) and used with the Renesas drivers in MB, but you lose shutdown capability, which is why I am looking for a cleaner solution.

The Shuttle seems to be a good system to run OS X on, however I do experience some weird seemingly random kernel panics during bootup (which do not reference the audio drivers or ethernet rtl111e--it's something different each time). I've even had "blued" in one of the stacktraces (the Bluetooth daemon).

Never had it kernel panic once it has booted up, no matter the load or what I am running (*knock wood*)

Thanks for the tip. I finally got rid of that sizzling sound. Actually I was never able to have shutdown (the system restarts). So maybe you can tell me how to enable real shut down with some kind of kext.

@fryingpan - that is weird. I haven't had to use a particular kext or DSDT in order to enable shutdown. Are you using a DSDT on your Shuttle system?

Here are all the ‘‘non-standard’’ kexts I'm using on the SH67H7:

Code:
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
   11    0 0xffffff7f8090f000 0x2000     0x2000     org.tgwbd.driver.NullCPUPowerManagement (1.0.0d2) <7 4 3>
   12    0 0xffffff7f80843000 0x2000     0x2000     sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (1.0.0) <7 4 3>
   27    0 0xffffff7f80f3d000 0x7000     0x7000     org.netkas.FakeSMC (3.1.0) <8 7 5 4 3>
   36    0 0xffffff7f80885000 0x34000    0x34000    com.lnx2mac.driver.RealtekRTL81xx (0.0.90) <35 9 5 4 3 1>
   69    0 0xffffff7f807b3000 0x21000    0x21000    org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA (2.7.2) <62 9 7 5 4 3>
   81    0 0xffffff7f816b3000 0x3000     0x3000     com.bresink.driver.BRESINKx86Monitoring (8.0) <5 4 3>

I would check to see that you aren't running any kext which might interfere with the shutdown behavior, and also double-check the BIOS settings. I'm on the latest (1.15 at the time of writing) Shuttle BIOS, but I am sure it also worked with the one that came pre-installed.

Hi Dragonfly,

Are you using SL or Lion 10.7.3 ? Because based on the used kexts, I would think it is SL 10.6.2.

Where can I find bresinkx86monitoring.kext and sleep enabler ? Because I do not have these kexts installed.

No, I am running Lion 10.7.3; as is also stated in my profile. What about the kexts used made you think I was on Snow Leopard, btw.?

The SleepEnabler.kext did not have an impact on the reboot/shutdown behavior, but it does do what it is intended to do (unlike all the other sleepenablers I've used on different systems). I am attaching it to this post; it's available elsewhere on the forum as well.

The bresinkx86monitoring.kext is just the kext related to the TemperatureMonitor package (for CPU monitoring, etc.)

Attachments

• SleepEnabler.kext.tar.bz2
    13.3 KB · Views: 78
I finally found the cause of my restart instead of shutdown problem: removing the USB3 kext PXHCD.kext solved my problem, but......my USB 3.0 ports ceased to function.

I am now looking for a new PXHCD.kext which does not conflict my the EVOreboot.kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back