Contribute
Register

Shuttle SH67H3/7 Lion 10.7.2 installation: no sound !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw. -- one day after I've placed my order for the SH67H7, I notice that there's a new Sandy Bridge Shuttle coming out using the Z68 chipset:

http://www.shuttle.eu/prodotti/mini-pc/ ... amica/?L=3{GP:L}

Main changes are mini-ITX support(!), SRT (SSD caching), 500W power supply and a 2A iPhone/iPad charging port in the front(!)

The audio chipset is listed as ALC888S. If that is for better or worse, I do not know.

GREAT NEWS!!! now there is native audio support for ours bellowed shuttles!!! Just download the newest MultiBeast 4.6.1 and install ALC8xxHDA (latest version, don't choose legacy) , AppleHDA rollback and non-DSDT HDA enabler for ALC 888.
Thank you Toleda, Tonymac and MacMan!!!!
HDAEnabler solution works good, apart from the background noise where there should be silence. New patched AppleHDA does not work on my Shuttle SH67H7,but i prefer the injector with the original AppleHDA :)

Or just use VoodooHDA 0.2.62 and have proper output levels, no clipping on higher volumes, working digital out/S-PDIF and no background noise without the need of a AppleHDA rollback or HDA enabler.

Well, I couldn't get the "ALC8xxHDA (latest version, don't choose legacy) , AppleHDA rollback and non-DSDT HDA enabler for ALC 888" to work for me, but the VoodooHDA 0.2.62 is working thus far. However after adding

Code:
<key>iGain</key>
<string>0</string>

to the Info.plist the sound is actually a bit quiet (but thankfully no buzzing). Drag0nFly, any suggestions on getting it a little louder without adding buzzing? Thanks.

Edit: So, I haven't managed to work out if it is quieter or just some paranoia on my part, but it did KP on me on one of the reboots (which a newer version of voodooHDA would do maybe about 20% of boots when I previously had it installed), which this computer hasn't done in nearly a year. This is originally why I just opted to use a cheap USB sound card. I think I'll have another try at the ALC8xxHDA and see how it goes. Any tips would be appreciated.

jtholb said:
Well, I couldn't get the "ALC8xxHDA (latest version, don't choose legacy) , AppleHDA rollback and non-DSDT HDA enabler for ALC 888" to work for me, but the VoodooHDA 0.2.62 is working thus far. However after adding

Code:
<key>iGain</key>
<string>0</string>

to the Info.plist the sound is actually a bit quiet (but thankfully no buzzing). Drag0nFly, any suggestions on getting it a little louder without adding buzzing? Thanks.

Edit: So, I haven't managed to work out if it is quieter or just some paranoia on my part, but it did KP on me on one of the reboots (which a newer version of voodooHDA would do maybe about 20% of boots when I previously had it installed), which this computer hasn't done in nearly a year. This is originally why I just opted to use a cheap USB sound card. I think I'll have another try at the ALC8xxHDA and see how it goes. Any tips would be appreciated.

@jtholb –

The low mixer levels is an unfamiliar problem to me on my Shuttle (using the green analog audio at the rear and obviously the optical out; which is controlled by the amp.)

I've included my .plist below that I've been using for several months now on all my systems. If you don't have the 'iMix' value set to 100 that might be the issue, or it could be some peripheral setting depending on how your speakers et al. are hooked up to your Mac.

Getting around the KPs on boot for some versions of VoodooHDA is a black art that I've not yet learned the basics of. My system has been booting fine without KPs the last number of times I've tried though (*knock wood*). I usually leave my system running for weeks once it is up as I use it as a music server.

Apparently something major changed between the 0.2.62 version and later VoodooHDAs preventing both accurate volume levels (just try listening to a downmixed 5.1 movie soundtrack in VLC/MplayerX during the most dynamic sequences. It's painful.) Also, the optical port is completely useless on the ALC888 on all other VoodooHDAs I've tested.

Not sure about how this works on the AppleHDA (whether patched or not), but not having this is a show-stopper for me.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
        <string>English</string>
        <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
        <string>VoodooHDA</string>
        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
        <string>org.voodoo.driver.VoodooHDA</string>
        <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
        <string>6.0</string>
        <key>CFBundleName</key>
        <string>VoodooHDA</string>