Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to dual boot windows 8.1/10 with this setup?
I think so, I used to have Win8.1 on the same drive with Yosemite. I removed it to install El Capitan instead !
Make sure you perform a UEFI install because we have a GUID partition scheme (not GPT/Hybrid/MBR).

I am having a big problem with audio on my intel nuc running 10.11.2. From time to time audio stops working, in 1 hour it stopped about 20 times. When it stops about a minute or two it comes back but sometimes i need to restart the system to get working audio again but after a few minutes it starts stopping again. Can you help me?
I don't really use the jack for audio, I use HDMI audio on my build.
WHat you describes is known as EAPD problems, and is supposed to be handle by CodecCommander.kext which is in EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kext/10.11/.
On my build it worked for 15 min and then I stopped monitoring as I don't use it.
But this kext needs editing : you can read this to understand why.
You can try to copy this kext in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions, rebuild caches and reboot 2 times to see if there is any improvement.

My only problem is that the ethernet doesn't come back after sleep -- the link lights on the port and the ethernet switch are on, but OS X thinks the media is disconnected.
Any suggestions? I know the NUC doesn't draw much power but I still don't want to disable sleep if I can avoid it.
Might this be related to the LAN power savings settings in BIOS?

Good news is that I can reproduce this on my NUC. As you said we don't really need sleep that's why I didn't noticed it previously ;) . It used to work on Yosemite so I assumed it worked on EC ... bad guess !

To check if it is BIOS related you can try to copy this kext in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions, rebuild caches and reboot 2 times to see if there is any improvement after sleep.
improvement > kext load related > kext in /L/E/
no improvement > BIOS to investigate, another sleepmode ...

I'm running into one more problem -- I can only have one display connected at boot time, or I get display corruption...
Is this a known issue and is there a fix?
This was unknown till now as you are the first to report dual screen use ! :)
My advice would to follow what WonkeyDonkey said previously about BIOS settings "Devices>Video>IGD Primary port>"
From experience previously I would recommend only using auto as a last resort.
Better to specify your primary monitor connection, and secondary.

Thank you everyone for testing and reporting, working like this we can make it completely work very quickly !

Thank you for the advice.

Do you know if any Bluetooth mouse and keyboard will work or would it have to be Apple's own?

I've not got this NUC yet but looking to get it soon.

I guess any would work, it's just a guess though (I own an Apple MagicMouse / an Apple Trackpad / an Apple Keyboard :) )

Good news is that I can reproduce this on my NUC. As you said we don't really need sleep that's why I didn't noticed it previously ;) . It used to work on Yosemite so I assumed it worked on EC ... bad guess !

To check if it is BIOS related you can try to copy this kext in /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions, rebuild caches and reboot 2 times to see if there is any improvement after sleep.
improvement > kext load related > kext in /L/E/
no improvement > BIOS to investigate, another sleepmode ...

OK, I will give this a try.

This was unknown till now as you are the first to report dual screen use ! :)
My advice would to follow what WonkeyDonkey said previously about BIOS settings "Devices>Video>IGD Primary port>"

This seems to happen no matter which setting is used in BIOS (auto, or either port as primary). It happens after Clover boots OS X, Clover works fine (and only appears on the monitor connected to the primary port). The corruption I get looks almost like bad EDID detection, but both logically and intuitively that doesn't seem likely when it works fine connecting the second monitor after login.

I'll see if I can find any difference in the startup logs with one vs. two displays connected.

Thank you everyone for testing and reporting, working like this we can make it completely work very quickly !

Thank you for all your efforts. I wouldn't have this working without your guide.

I guess any would work, it's just a guess though (I own an Apple MagicMouse / an Apple Trackpad / an Apple Keyboard :) )

Aside from BT, the logitech K400R combo keyboard/trackpad works once the Logitech control center is installed (to pair the keyboard with the Unifying receiver), but there are lots of posts out there saying gestures don't work, if you care about that. Just simple KB+Mouse.

Other generic wireless RF USB keyboards and mice should work too.

Thanks.

Any chance you could make a video or someone showin El Capitan in action on this device.

What is it you want to see? Aside from the problems listed above, I've been using it for a day to stream Spotify through Soundflower to Airfoil, while running live audio meters in Spectre on the secondary display. That gets the CPU fan going, but the system feels solid. Aside from ethernet wake and display detection at boot time, the only glitches I've noticed are almost certainly from Soundflower and not the OS.

And in a weird complication, after booting with both displays connected to reproduce the issue and gather logs, I stepped away to answer some email, my displays blanked (without full system sleep) while I was busy, and when they came back on the secondary display came up without corruption. :crazy:

To check if it is BIOS related you can try to copy this kext in /Library/Extensions or/System/Library/Extensions
Wait -- which kext? The AppleIntelE1000e.kext in your .zip? I think I already have that installed, but I will check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back