Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone

I have Mountain Lion working wonderfully on my Probook 4530s XU015ut thanks to this great forum. I just bought an OCZ agility 3 SATA III SSD, and that's where I have my ML installation. I read before on these forums that the probook has SATA III support, so that's why I went with it. but now when I use blackmagic speed test, I only get ~90MB/s write and ~190MB/s read. despite being advertised as ~500 read/write. and I know these speeds are similar to SATA II speeds. btw I heard on some other forum people mentioning that it might be the BIOS. I have F.20 installed, and the latest one is F.27.

What do you guys think?
Should I upgrade? And how would I do it if I don't have windows?
Or is there some other solution?

Thank you everyone in advance.

Is F.0A newer? and if it is the reason, how can I get it?
Also how do I make sure that I have AHCI enabled?

One more thing to mention. When I installed the probook installer, I chose the DSDT for F.20 since there wasn't one for F.23/F.27.

AHCI setting is in BIOS. You get to choose either IDE and AHCI. Generally it comes with AHCI enabled, but you should double check. In addition, perhaps you should run a benchmark test under Windows, just to see what your hardware is doing there. I have a Crucial M4 256 and am getting expected speeds out of it w/ blackmagic test.

F0A is older than F20. I guess they are using hex numbering scheme there, so 0x0A=10, 0x20=32, 0x23=35, and 0x27=39.

While some have reported having success with F23 and F27 using DSDT F20, others have downgraded to F20 if their laptop came with a later version.

I don't think it is likely your BIOS version has anything to do with your SSD performance issues. More likely the SSD itself... Speed can degrade over time, and sometimes it helps to do a 'secure erase' on your SSD, then reload everything from scratch. You also want to be careful not to hammer the SSD with benchmarks over and over, as you may be causing the problem doing that.

Thank you for the great input.

I will be installing win 8 just to check the speeds there in case that it is the OS, or the unofficial trim enabler.
And in case that doesn't work either, I will try degrading my BIOS to F.20

Other than that I have already made sure that AHCI is enabled. And as far as SSD speed degration, I just got my SSD yesterday.

But thank you all anyway, and if anyone else has any other thoughts that would be welcomed.

hello this is the software blackmagic speed test, which is not good

the first version of blackmagic speed test gives results of 500 mb
and the latest version of blackmagic speed test results is identical to

hello this is the software blackmagic speed test, which is not good

the first version of blackmagic speed test gives results of 500 mb
and the latest version of blackmagic speed test results is identical to

It could be the difference between compressible data vs. non-compressible data. Some controllers have special code to deal with data that is easily compressed... SandForce controllers in particular. Many of the benchmark programs would write all ones or all zeros to their test data sets. These controllers are particularly efficient at dealing with such data, much more than random data. In fact, most of the specs published for these SSD drives is for compressible data (usually using Windows based ATTO, which at least by default uses compressible data).

These days, most benchmark software allows the choice of compressible vs. non-compressible data. The blackmagic app seems to use non-compressible data, so the benchmarks will seem lower than a benchmark using compressible data. From the comments on the app, at one time it used compressible data so that numbers were higher.

To me, using compressible data is cheating. For most applications, a benchmark using non-compressible data is much more meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back