Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge i5 build - How do these components look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm new here, a long time Mac user with 2 Macbooks (both aluminum and 13", one pro) and a Mac Mini.

I'm selling the non-pro Macbook since I don't need 2 laptops and it's currently hooked up to a monitor/trackpad/keyboard as a desktop, so I'm looking to replace it with a Hackintosh.

I've had some experience with Hackintoshing back in 2007 when I "hacked" a dell xps 13" laptop with leopard, and that's what got me to convert to all Apple systems. I'm amazed how far and developed the Hackintoshing community has come and it seems much easier than what I went through back then.

Anyway, I don't do much graphics work (aperture is basically it) or gaming, so I'm not trying to build anything too powerful...just something with a little zip for running office apps and whatnot.

So far, the major components I've put together and priced (based on research on this site and many others) are as follows:

CPU: i5-2500 (non-K since I don't see myself needing to overclock)
Board: Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 (again, no O/C required)
GFX: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5570
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800
HDD: undecided between a 60gb SSD or 1TB 7200rpm drive
Case: undecided, but probably Antec 300
Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze (too much?)

I know I can always go on-board graphics with an i5-2500k, but I figured going with a graphics card would make things a little easier so will save a little with a non-k cpu.

anyone? anyone?

mrdeeno said:
I'm new here, a long time Mac user with 2 Macbooks (both aluminum and 13", one pro) and a Mac Mini.

I'm selling the non-pro Macbook since I don't need 2 laptops and it's currently hooked up to a monitor/trackpad/keyboard as a desktop, so I'm looking to replace it with a Hackintosh.

I've had some experience with Hackintoshing back in 2007 when I "hacked" a dell xps 13" laptop with leopard, and that's what got me to convert to all Apple systems. I'm amazed how far and developed the Hackintoshing community has come and it seems much easier than what I went through back then.

Anyway, I don't do much graphics work (aperture is basically it) or gaming, so I'm not trying to build anything too powerful...just something with a little zip for running office apps and whatnot.

So far, the major components I've put together and priced (based on research on this site and many others) are as follows:

I know I can always go on-board graphics with an i5-2500k, but I figured going with a graphics card would make things a little easier so will save a little with a non-k cpu.

I suggest to switch the graphics card to the 5670 or 5770 since these seems to be more compatible with OSX.

Jamesbond007 said:
mrdeeno said:

I suggest to switch the graphics card to the 5670 or 5770 since these seems to be more compatible with OSX.
The Sapphire HD5570 "supported". There's working builds with it.

Thanks, guys.

I'm pretty dead set on a tower since I currently have "served" from my mini an external (USB 2.0) 1TB drive for my time machine backups (for all 3 mac systems), an external (FW800) 3TB drive as a network drive (mostly movies on there), and I plan on integrating them internally into the hackintosh...which is why I am considering a 60gb SSD only as an OS drive for it since I have plenty of storage (and pertinent storage is on a paid dropbox account).

I think I was trying too hard to "customize" it to my needs perfectly (and save maybe $20-30, which isn't really worth it), so may consider following the #2 build instead, but upgrade to the i5-2500 (non-k), upping memory to 8gb, and going with a different HDD, case, and power supply...none of which should affect operational compatibility.

Anyone see a need to go with an i7-2500 instead, or is that only if I was planning on doing intense graphics work or gaming?

As you thought, you probably don't need a graphics card, the HD3000 built in is fine.

If you're not gaming you might want to skip the graphics card all together.

I used a Gygabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with the i7 2600K
I first installed it with NO graphics card, and the onboard worked FINE - nothing really to do (I did a fresh Lion install)

Save the money on the graphics card and put it toward the i7 chip

Also, Microcenter (if you have one near you) has a deal where if you buy the mother board and the i7 2600K together you save $80.00

The final cost of the board and the i7 Chip after $10 rebate) is about $350 ((69.00 (board) and 279.00 (i7 2600K))

Not too bad, add in your 60GB OCZ SSD (about a hundred bucks) some memory, a power supply and a case and your good to go.

You can always add a Graphics card later on if you need one.
While you might not need the power of the i7 2600K right now, consider two years from now, that i7 will probably barely be enough power for the applications that are coming. I say this based on my own experience with CPU's. By the time the packaging makes it to the garbage can, the chip is almost obsolete and by the time the garbage man picks it up, there's a better faster chip and new software taking advantage of it.

My first experience with a Hackintosh was a little net book two years ago. This was my first build (hadn't built a computer in 20 years)

Gool luck with your build.

Ed

That sounds like a good idea, I just haven't looked too much into the integrated graphics, but it sounds like it's more or less a non-issue when hackintoshing (relatively speaking).

I'll also look into the microcenter thing, not sure if there's one around me though.

Oh, as for how quick things go obsolete, I know what you mean, but I'm still on my late 2008 macbook 2.0 core2duo (as a desktop) and it's pretty sufficient, so hopefully if i go the i7 route it'll last me well into 2035 or something (haha).

Thanks for the tips!

Ok, I think I have the hardware lined up now...

CPU: i7-2600k
GPU: integrated
MB: GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB (2X4 GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
CD: Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B
Case: Antec 300
Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified

Total comes to about mid-$700's, which is about the same if i had gone with the i5/GPU route. Decided to forgo the SSD for now.

Gonna wait until the macbook sells and maybe wait until black friday to see what deals there are to be had (if i can wait that long...).

Anyone see a performance problem if I go with this motherboard instead?
(note: it's the MB from the customac mini sandy bridge build):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TJWI7Q/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=tonymacx86com-20

instead of

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PGAMFS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A2NG4HB43UEDVL

The only difference I can see is only 2 memory slots and fewer ports (SATA, USB, etc.). The number of SATA ports is plenty and memory isn't an issue (planning on going 2x4gb anyway), but just wondering if there would be any performance related issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back