Contribute
Register

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus Sonoma issues?

That is a PCIe Gen4 - I don't think that works with my mobo?
I use one with a Q87 chipset Intel mobo with an adapter in the PCIe slot and have no problems. It uses PCIe 3.0. Yours is newer than that. It will work with no problems as PCIe 4.0 drives are backwards compatible with 3.0 boards.

Last edited:
I use one with a Q87 chipset Intel mobo with an adapter in the PCIe slot and have no problems. It uses PCIe 3.0. Yours is newer than that. It will work with no problems as PCIe 4.0 drives are backwards compatible with 3.0 boards.
I went ahead and bought one with Paypal pay in 3 - to spread the cost.

Samsung finally got back to me with an RMA offer - no attempt to help with the firmware or anything!

A refund would have been better, considering, but can't see that happening!

I'll just use it as a data drive I guess - that will work, won't it?

These issues were just because I was using it as an os drive???

These issues were just because I was using it as an os drive???
There are thousands of posts here on this site regarding problems with Samsung NVMe drives and macOS, since Monterey came out. Some even before that. I would only use a Samsung drive with Windows or Linux after the firmware is fully up to date.

I'll clone onto the wd drive when it arrives and see if they'll refund as it's useless - like their support.
Doubt they'll do it but if they send a new one with new firmware it might be alright for data - we'll see....

@northwinds,

You can still use a Samsung NVMe SSD as a data drive, the known and well documented TRIM issue that effects Samsung and other NVMe SSD's that uses a non-conformant on-board controller only effects MacOS when MacOS is installed on it and you boot from it.

I re-purposed my Samsung 970 EVO NVMe as a data drive (formatted as APFS) when the issue first occurred with Monterey, i replaced it with 2TB WD SN770 for booting MacOS and used the Samsung 970 EVO NVMe for storing all my Kontakt sound libraries that i use with Logic Pro X, it has worked no problem with Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma as a data drive.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Back