built yet :(
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Well, four months in to this project, and I still haven't started...hmph :rolleyes:

Anyway, After I made sure I locked down a perfect part list, and told myself I wouldn't change; I changed it all.
Now, after the traditional ud5h, 660ti, etc, I decided that I could find better, possibly more inexpensive parts.
Here is my new list....Input anyone?

Mobo- Msi Z77A G45 Thunderbolt
So, I know I need a modified/flashed BIOS which I get here http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/msi/
And I use DPCIManager...Do I skip straight to step 5? http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/
Or install the new BIOS as a BIOS update? it still confuses me.

CPU- Intel 3770k
No questions

GPU- MSI Radeon HD 7870
Ok ok, calm down! I don't plan to build until Spring Break-ish or whenever 10.8.3 comes out with the rumored 7XXX drivers- whichever comes first. (hopefully I didnt break any TMx86 rules there)

Everything else dosen't matter much, I have already worked it out ;)

But If you must:

Corsair 600w psu
Corsair H60 Cooler
Crucial 128gb SSD
NZXT source 210
Dell S2440l monitor

Remaining Questions:

There aren't many threads about the G45-th, If anyone out there has one, please share your experiences!
I know Bluetooth wont work in BIOS, but will a keyboard with a wireless USB receiver work? The keyboard exactly is the Dell KM713 Compact Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

Thanks everyone who helped me get this far! Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

That MSI motherboard has a single Thunderbolt port.
Is it using the Intel DSL3510L Thunderbolt chip (which Apple and Gigabyte use) or is it one of the other chips that OS X might not support yet? The MSI documentation is a bit thin on this subject...

That MSI motherboard has a single Thunderbolt port.
Is it using the Intel DSL3510L Thunderbolt chip (which Apple and Gigabyte use) or is it one of the other chips that OS X might not support yet? The MSI documentation is a bit thin on this subject...

Intel "Cactus Ridge" L3510L 2 channel Thunderbolt chip is what VR-Zone review says.

Based on this, should I count on thunderbolt working? Its not a must. Its (z77a g45) less expensive than the UD5H, but happens to have Thunderbolt, that's why I am considering it.

CPU- Intel 3770k
No questions

GPU- MSI Radeon HD 7870
Ok ok, calm down! I don't plan to build until Spring Break-ish or whenever 10.8.3 comes out with the rumored 7XXX drivers- whichever comes first. (hopefully I didnt break any TMx86 rules there)
Of course you could build a system earlier (now?) with the i7-3770K and use the onboard graphics, then add a GPU (of whatever model) when the OS update comes out and settles down.
And by then you might realise that the HD 4000 is actually good enough. :)
OK I'm being a bit facetious there, but seriously it might be worth starting with the HD 4000 and then upgrading once your GPU options become clear. I'm using the HD 4000 in both of my builds and have NO complaints.

I know Bluetooth wont work in BIOS, but will a keyboard with a wireless USB receiver work? The keyboard exactly is the Dell KM713 Compact Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.
Yep. I have a Logitech keyboard and mouse on my GA-Z77X-UP5 build using one of their "Unifying" USB dongles, and because the OS isn't involved yes it works just fine in the BIOS.

Thanks for the Keyboard and Mouse Info!

Otherwise, I am planning to build during spring break mostly to keep distractions from my school work. My hackintosh will be sort of....an accolade once I finish my finals. As of now, I have been researching and have collaborated about two or three possible builds. I'm actually glad I waited, because new parts have become compatible since I began (eg. 660ti).

Thanks anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back