Contribute
Register

Review: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Review: Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac

I brought this keyboard in black but it wont wake the machine from sleep mode no matter what key i press?

I have the software from the Logitech installed for snow leopard (hackinotsh)

Any suggestions? also should i see the USB dongle in the system setting under Bluetooth, as i don't see any Bluetooth icons either?

log5.jpgLast October, the Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac was introduced by Logitech. Right off the bat it was sold out. I wanted one so I had to wait for the second release and lo and behold I was able to snag one.

I placed the order right with Logitech directly. Made things nice and easy :D

So $59.99 lighter and about a week later I get my keyboard. (Keep in mind the Mac version is $20.00 less! I think that's a first lol) I almost forgot about ordering it until beelzebozo asked if I had received it yet. So like a little kid I went running for the door and to my surprise I had a package!!!

It was awesome I felt like a little kid at Christmas!

So I shook the box and I heard something rattling about inside of it and my heart sank a bit. I was worried that the dreaded UPS had again beat up my package during delivery and left me with pieces and hours of customer support on the phone. But when I opened the box I had found it to be the wireless USB dongle, it is about the size of a mini Bluetooth dongle. This made me happy again.
log4.pnglog1.png

So I removed the keyboard from the box playfully not thinking that this is not like my 2005 iMac keyboard, which I am now able to retire from using, but a sleek and think electronically designed piece of art. Since I built a new computer desk it would accompany my main piece of art, a 24" Apple cinema Display. They do both look awesome together, almost orgasmic. (I'm sure if you stuck the G5 case mod next to it would be a toe curling experience)

But I digress! Back the Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac!

OK where was I? Oh yeah, the keyboard is thin and sleek, the buttons are that of a laptop and a lot more contoured for the finger tips. Each key has a slight roughness to assist in non slippage unlike most smooth surface keyboards. The size of the face is one to a full size keyboard and it has a nice stylish look. The top portion is aligned with the solar panels where it receives its life force form making this a unique tool.
log6.jpg

It has an on/off button and a power check button. When you plug the keyboard in for the first time is just works! F keys, number pad, command key and all that. I have the eject button and volume button with the brightness ones for my display.

Let’s go back to that power check button. Now here is where it gets as slick as a monkey on a Segway. You have some instructions in the box to jump over to Logitech and download this app, it's called "Solar App" very original huh? I thought so too ;) but this app gets downloaded and is all sleepy like, if you choose that option, until you hit that power check button. Then it pops up with a power gage and battery meter.

Very useful and helpful, especially if you’re playing a game and do not want a battery failure because then you'll most likely get pwned by some damn noob while playing Black Ops. You know what happens then right? You get to hear this damn prepubescent kid screech in your ear about how he just killed you. Then all you want to do is reach through the screen and but wait ....... WTH off on another rant....

So that power check thing is pretty damn sweet. The typing feels nice and the keys aren't loud and clanky. It has two little legs in the front underneath to give it some propping up for all you people with arthritis and what not. This unit is not for you guys with hooks for hands though. The hook might damage said keyboard and customer support may not cover hook damage.

log7.png
So in the box you get nice solar keyboard, mini USB receiver and USB extension paper work and instructions on the inside lid of box. Instructions state 2 steps, plug in UBS stick and remove small watch battery cover. Done.

So in retrospect the K750 for the Mac is a nice buy. It works in OS X as well as Win 7, plus it functions in the Chameleon Screen to choose your OS) The Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac is a really nice and inexpensive buy for a wireless replacement keyboard. It will do the job and looks pretty good while doing it, kind of like Vanna White did back in the 90's.

4.png
With a tony Apple score of 4 out of 5. :D If it was Aluminum with backlit keyboard I would have given it a 10. ;)

Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005L38VRU/

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 7.58.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 7.58.22 PM.png
    748.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 7.59.26 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 7.59.26 PM.png
    282.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 414UrIJf2-L._AA300_.jpeg
    414UrIJf2-L._AA300_.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 341
  • log3.png
    log3.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 301
  • log2.jpg
    log2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 285
  • log5.jpg
    log5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 640
  • log4.png
    log4.png
    193.1 KB · Views: 334
  • log1.png
    log1.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 315
  • log6.jpg
    log6.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 435
  • log7.png
    log7.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 4.png
    4.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 409
Last edited by a moderator:

I brought this keyboard in black but it wont wake the machine from sleep mode no matter what key i press?

Any suggestions? also should i see the USB dongle in the system setting under Bluetooth, as i don't see any Bluetooth icons either?

Is an excellent keyboard!!!...there is no BT, you have to install the logitech unifying driver for mac...I couldn't check sleep/wake due to fermi well known issues:beachball::beachball::beachball:

I would bet your machine is powering off the USB dongle when it sleeps.

My only complaint with this keyboard is the lack of a Caps Lock indicator light. I installed Capster so I have an audible indication and an icon in the menu bar.

Personally, I'd give this keyboard the full 5 Tony Apples!
I've had one for months and it works perfectly, including waking from sleep etc with out having to do anything: it all just works.
At this price point, given the exceptional solar panels (mine has never dropped below 100% battery-- it'll charge even in quite low artificial light) and the fact you get a numberpad etc, I think it's a little much to expect aluminium.

This keyboard is great, I have had it for 3 or 4 months, I also got the mouse that uses the same dongle. So you only need one usb port. I have no problem with wake up, just hit the space bar & my computer springs to life. I had the bluetooth mouse & keyboard before & had problems with loosing connection & wake up. Even on my real Mac the bluetooth is a little flakey. This keyboard & mouse never failed me yet. I agree a caps lock light would be nice. I give it 5 Tony Apples

Had the black version of this one and just couldn't get enough light for it to charge properly without putting an annoyingly bright lamp pointed right at it. Was disappointed. Loved the keyboard itself.

I notice from the photos that it sits flat on the desk, aka no tilt. Is this actually the case, or are there feet that will pop out that I'm missing from the photos?

Yes there are fold out feet, It tilts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back